Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36

Author Topic: Roll to Raptor: Turn 31 - Where the Buffalo Roam  (Read 68523 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Velociraptor
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2012, 03:43:36 pm »

(Gotcha.)

Hooktoe continued to press the assault on the Snatcher, trying to hold its neck still with his teeth while he raked it with his claws.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2012, 04:13:48 pm »

Finish running to assist.
Assist.

Come on, don't make me feel useless...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2012, 04:19:39 pm »

(Gotcha.)

Hooktoe continued to press the assault on the Snatcher, trying to hold its neck still with his teeth while he raked it with his claws.

((Hmmm I don't really have a targeted attack mechanic.

The way it generally works is Roll to Hit --> Roll Cunning to select bodypart --> Roll Damage. Conceptually your Raptor moves in and selects a body-part to maul based on luck and intelligence.

e.g. you rolled a 2 so you just kicked it in it's heavily muscled trunk. A 6 probably have had you standing on top of it biting it's neck or slashing at a hamstring.

How does this sound, you can skip the Cunning roll and target a bodypart, but at a -2 to hit?

For reference your next attack would probably roll at: [1d6 + 1 - 2 vs 1d6 - 2] ))
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:22:55 pm by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2012, 04:55:47 pm »

(Actually, I thought you'd just treat it as flavor text. ^^^; But, uh, sure, that makes sense and works for me. Out of curiosity, I'm assuming I roll at -2 because of my -1 in Cunning, so would 0 = -1 and +1 = 0 difficulty?)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2012, 05:40:22 pm »

~Finish it off...~ Strider said, leaping toward it's exposed belly.

The battle, was all but over-the Snatcher would be literally torn to pieces-and, he almost felt a sense of disappointment it had been so easy.

But an easy meal should never be taken for granted.

Action: Jump on and hold it down to the ground, adding another grapple and raking attack.

((@Joben: I could live with that rule, btw.))
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 05:46:32 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2012, 05:53:33 pm »

((@ Serious. Ahh ok. Well prob should have targeting anyway.

My whole combat system is vaguely inspired by Deviation-22...

It's Basically (Attack Roll + Bonuses - penalties VS Defence Roll + Bonuses - Penalties)
Attack succeeds if it's total > defense total and we move on to figuring out how much it hurt.

Quote from: Joben
"For reference your next attack would probably roll at: [1d6 + 1 - 2 vs 1d6 - 2] "

Here's how the above example rolls work.
Innate Attack +1 to from your stats. -2 to specify bodypart to strike at.
The Snatcher is currently defending at -2 due to being prone

Leaving you at a net +1 to hit it in a specific place. OR a +3 to hit it somewhere. Your choice. :)

-----

Your cunning -1 will influence un-targeted attacks, and your ability to ambush and manipulate like Strider just did.

In comparison the old Strider has trouble landing hits anymore (-1 Attack), but due to his (+1) Cunning and experience he has an innately better understanding of what is worth hitting.

Your raptor is a brash newb who snaps at anything that comes close. Strider is a pro who is more likely to strike at the vitals.))
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2012, 05:57:34 pm »

(All right. I'll remember that in the future. Basically the same thing with Dom, really, she's much better with Quickshots than actually Aiming at her enemies. ^^^)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2012, 10:25:34 pm »

((Eep.))

Moonfang could taste fresh warm blood oozing from the Snatcher's tail. While she relished a good feast, she wondered if using this carcass would be practical.

Well, it was a thief.

Rend and Tear! Aim for the more juicy body parts!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2012, 12:33:11 am »

Stealthily follow scent of blood.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Roll to Velociraptor - Turn 4 Tastes like Victory
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2012, 12:08:32 pm »

(Gotcha.)

You hoot with joy as you strike at the prone Snatcher. (5+1-2 vs 3-1) (Targeted Skipping Cunning Roll) Biting down on it's neck while scratching furiously with your claws.  (3+1) You tear muscles and tendons in it's neck and shoulders. It tastes like victory.

[Snatcher is bleeding, Snatcher's head movement is impared.]

~Finish it off...~ Strider said, leaping toward it's exposed belly.

The battle, was all but over-the Snatcher would be literally torn to pieces-and, he almost felt a sense of disappointment it had been so easy.

But an easy meal should never be taken for granted.

Action: Jump on and hold it down to the ground, adding another grapple and raking attack.

((@Joben: I could live with that rule, btw.))

Before you can leap forward toward it's head your son Hooktoe is alreayd there and doing a fine job. You dart around to the side before striking. (Attack 3-1 vs 1-2) Your original idea impractical you do the next best thing (Cunning 5+1) and attempt to rip open the Snatcher's exposed belly. (2) Your claw catches on a rib, causing only minor wounds.

Finish running to assist.
Assist.

Come on, don't make me feel useless...

(Attack 3-1 vs 3-2) (Cunning 5+1) You join Strider in striking at the Snatcher's belly (4) shredding the abdominal wall. You pull away some yummy fat in your teeth.

[Snatcher is going into shock]

((Eep.))

Moonfang could taste fresh warm blood oozing from the Snatcher's tail. While she relished a good feast, she wondered if using this carcass would be practical.

Well, it was a thief.

Rend and Tear! Aim for the more juicy body parts!

With the others now mauling the Snatcher and Hooktoe practically on top of it you can let go of the tail. (Attack 5+1 vs 2-2) (Cunning 1) Unfortunately there isn't much room to get in and do damage with all the others crowding you. So even though it's already down you content yourself with attacking a leg. (3+1) You open an artery. That went better than expected.

[Snatcher is now bleeding heavily]

Quote from: Snatcher
Try to remain concious, get away.

(Luck 5) Despite your terrible wounds you manage to remain alert. Unfortunately there is a Hunter holding onto your neck. You thrash wildly (1) only serving to tear your wounds open more. [Hunter loses consciousness, will bleed out next turn]
[Combat ends] ((btw, Hunters will have no objection to feeding on this corpse.))

Stealthily follow scent of blood.

((Retconning Charlies last move since it was autoed and you want to go in the opposite direction. You have now been walking East))

(Stealth 5+1, Sense 5)
The others off to the West seem to have the fight well in hand. What's the scent coming on the East wind then? You slink quietly along, coming to a screen of ferns blocking your view. Cautiously you wriggle though them and peak out the other side. There's a blood pool and a few small bodypart scraps. You spot a small bony arm with fluffy feathers. Some distance away you see a pair of Snatchers running off into the distance. One of them appears to be holding something in it's mouth it looks distressingly like a yearling Hunter. (Cunning 4) You think they might be taking a kill back to their nest.

Quote from: nesthome population
What's all this noise about?

[A few adults and older juveniles are coming to investigate. The Party has 1 turn to feed before social convention dictates that they yield this kill to the chicks and the infirm of the tribe. Feeding is a Minor Action in this case.]

Situation At A Glance:
Strider, Hooktoe, Moonfang, and Ironhide are adjacent to the dying Snatcher
Snatcher is technically alive but unable to act and will bleed out next turn.
Charlie is a ways East of the party discovering things.

Some Snatchers are fleeing to the East with a kill?
Nesthome population is approaching the party's kill.

It is just after dawn.
A slight breeze continues from the East.

No one is hurt.
Everyone is slightly hungry.
Everyone is well rested.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2012, 12:18:23 pm »

Ahh yes, the warm gush of arterial blood. The more brighter of the fluids, pumping straight into Moonfang's...face.

I think we should feed on this one, so our hunt later on will be more successful, she chirped to the other three, greeting the newer hunter with a gesture.

Strider will be pleased, I think.

Feed!

Major action will be withheld until later.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 11:10:57 am by Tiruin »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2012, 01:05:03 pm »

~Yeah! I did great! Right, Dad?~ Hooktoe whistled happily, looking to Strider for parental approval before taking a few bites of the soon-to-be corpse himself... but not much, there were five of them there and he didn't wanna be greedy.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2012, 01:14:33 pm »

((Ok guys, these first few turns were a shakedown cruise for game system.

I'd like to know what you liked about it and what you didn't. Do you have any suggestions?

Also a note: This was an easy combat. Many of the creatures in this world outweigh you by 10 or more times. Don't metagame and assume that because you encounter a creature it's set up to be defeatable. Also I'll be playing the creatures with reasonable motives so you have options. Think of nature documentaries. Sometimes a lion will stroll through a herd of wildebeest and they just watch it carefully until it goes away.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2012, 01:20:43 pm »

((I liked it muchly. The system of attack, anatomy and movement was nice. Including the various effects from being attacked in...such locations.

Loved it, and ready for more! :) ))

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2012, 04:10:28 pm »

Follow them.  Sneakily.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36