Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Time to make a large bonfire?  (Read 2924 times)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Time to make a large bonfire?
« on: October 11, 2012, 11:09:49 pm »

A forgotten beast made out of coke was just bisected.  So now I have two 6000 urist pieces of coal to do something with.  They can't be broken down and used in the furnaces or for making forgotten beast iron, so any suggestions from the Urist Gallery?
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Time to make a large bonfire?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 11:30:00 pm »

Make it the centerpiece of your forges!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 11:31:10 pm »

Use to create permafurnace.

Toss elves, gobbos, and other prisoners in.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 11:41:43 pm »

Build two giant pillars outside your entrance and put them on top.  Light towering flaming beacons to strike fear into the hearts of your enemies. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 06:43:11 am »

Do coke corpses eternally burn? I thought that was lignite and graphite.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 07:23:18 am »

Put them on top of a mountain and use them to signal Rohan!

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 08:09:54 am »

Imagine if it was a dwarf fortress instead of a human castle, it would be a very different story.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 08:46:23 am »

That's enough coal to create a new magma sea  :o
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 11:48:00 am »

A couple of beacon fires sounds like an interesting use.  And since the masses are different I can potentially time how long they stay lit and possibly get a little science done on consumption rate of burning FB.

Now I need to find a nice location.  On top of the lookout tower would be nice - but I generally never view that area.  Near the bridge over the river is a possibility, but once again it's not an area the dwarves frequent.  Best bet is probably atop the southwest and southeast battlements.  The area is already roofed and there is space there for a pillar or some statues around the "Here we are goblins, come and die" signal fires.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 12:53:53 pm »

Hmm... you could always drop them in a siege entrance and light them there.  Gobbos run in, !!Gobbos!! run out. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 01:35:54 pm »

Hmm... you could always drop them in a siege entrance and light them there.  Gobbos run in, !!Gobbos!! run out.

I considered that.  But decided I didn't want a massive grass fire on the surface.  Plus my siege entrance is rather complex as it is with its current combination of ditches, traps, walls, fortifications, and dozen or so drawbridges controlling access routes. 

Since the planned "beacon" location is amidst these I am curious whether or not flyers will possibly route through them.  So I might see !!Giant Cave Swallow!! with goblin rider appear during a siege.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 01:43:47 pm »

For making colonel's extra crispy flying mounts... you could try building a massive wall across the map and leaving two holes in it with the burning FB parts in them.  They'd most likely path through those holes instead of flying all the way up over the top. 

Might take a little doing, though. 

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 02:27:04 pm »

Imagine if it was a dwarf fortress instead of a human castle, it would be a very different story.

If Gondor was a dwarf fortress Sauron's troops would have been chopped to pieces by countless spinning *serrated steel discs*. But it is a very dwarven city. Seven rings carved out of a mountains with an enormous mass of stone shaped like the bow of a ship towering over it. Granted, Moria would probably have been even magnificent but they wound up breaching the Hidden Fun Stuff.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 02:50:40 pm »

If Gondor was a dwarf fortress Sauron's troops would have been chopped to pieces by countless spinning *serrated steel discs*. But it is a very dwarven city. Seven rings carved out of a mountains with an enormous mass of stone shaped like the bow of a ship towering over it. Granted, Moria would probably have been even magnificent but they wound up breaching the Hidden Fun Stuff.

Yes, but by the time the Fellowhip got there, there was only a single clown and a bunch of gobbos and trolls.  Reclaim, reclaim, reclaim!

Pages: [1] 2 3