Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Time to make a large bonfire?  (Read 2923 times)

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Time to make a large bonfire?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 03:12:38 pm »

They would have starved. They brought no seeds and some idiot set their only animal to available, letting Sam adopt it. Killing it would have led to an epic tantrum spiral culminating in:

The Human Swordsman Aragon slashes the Hobbit Peasant Frodo in the head.
The severed part sails off in an arc.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 03:50:27 pm »

Coke, you say?

Leave it in your entry tunnel, and make a system that allows you to light it on fire with the pull of a lever (perhaps by releasing a small amount of magma). When it ignites, fire creates smoke.

Instruct your Dwarves to yell "Choke on this, bitch!" as the goblins blindly stumble into the next trap, gasping for oxygen and unable to see.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 03:57:58 pm »

They would have starved. They brought no seeds and some idiot set their only animal to available, letting Sam adopt it. Killing it would have led to an epic tantrum spiral culminating in:

The mines had already breached the cavern level, though.  They could have lived off of cave moss.  Since the workshops were still standing and they had plenty of Goblinite laying around they could have made it until the first caravan. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 04:06:01 pm »

Do coke corpses eternally burn? I thought that was lignite and graphite.
Items made of flammable materials without a HEATDAM point burn for exactly 9 months and 16.8 days (322560 frames) before disappearing (fire inflicts 10 damage points per frame, with 806400 damage points per wear level, which works out to 2 months and 11.2 days per wear level, and it takes 4 wear levels for an item to disappear). Nothing eternally burns aside from artifacts, and that's only because artifacts are immune to wear.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 04:09:03 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 04:24:57 pm »

Items made of flammable materials without a HEATDAM point burn for exactly 9 months and 16.8 days (322560 frames) before disappearing (fire inflicts 10 damage points per frame, with 806400 damage points per wear level, which works out to 2 months and 11.2 days per wear level, and it takes 4 wear levels for an item to disappear). Nothing eternally burns aside from artifacts, and that's only because artifacts are immune to wear.

I guess that.....solves it... I think..

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 04:27:55 pm »

They had Lambas Bread!

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 04:32:34 pm »

Even if the cave moss wasn't enough, Legolas would have survived. He would've just eaten Frodo's mutilated corpse.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 04:38:56 pm »

They had Lambas Bread!

They didn't have any Lambas bread at that point.
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 04:40:02 pm »

What about the stuff-it-in-a-bin exploit? Does that work anyway?

The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 04:57:06 pm »

The mines had already breached the cavern level, though.  They could have lived off of cave moss.  Since the workshops were still standing and they had plenty of Goblinite laying around they could have made it until the first caravan.

Yeah, but their first seige came very early, they'd barely dealt with their local resident.  That embark was right beside a human town, so new human seigers might have come each season before any caravan could get there.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 05:06:33 pm »

Human sieges would be easy to break.  Just have Aragorn fight the first one and the rest of the siege will have a loyalty cascade.  Let them have it out, and then it'll just be mop-up.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:45:20 pm by Seraphim342 »
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 05:26:21 pm »

That's enough coal to create a new magma sea  :o
That's not how magma works.

"Was" being the operative word...

Human sieges would be easy yo break.  Just have Aragorn fight the first one and the rest of the siege will have a loyalty cascade.  Let them have it out, and then it'll just be mop-up.
That is the best battle plan inspired by DF ever.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 05:43:38 pm »

Moria isn't near a human settlement. It opens on one side to wastelands once inhabited by the elves, and the other side borders Lothlorien. The closest humans would be those in The Gap of Rohan and the men of Dale. Both quite a distance away. The biggest threat was the Forgotten Beast that had been lured to the surface but they used a cave-in trap to deal with that.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 06:14:10 pm »

Dammit, somehow didn't ask: Will the eternally-burning-stuff-in-a-bin trick still work?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 06:35:47 pm »

Dammit, somehow didn't ask: Will the eternally-burning-stuff-in-a-bin trick still work?
Depends, is it artifact stuff?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2] 3