Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: magma workshops  (Read 871 times)

Shawtay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
magma workshops
« on: October 11, 2012, 05:52:05 pm »

Hey guys,

I've been playing this fort, and I've gone down to the second cavern layer (I think, it doesn't really matter), found magma, yadda yadda, set up a magma reservoir for my workshops, channel down all nice, go to build the workshops and.. oh. Well then. Magma workshops are not listed in my b-e menu. There isn't even a magma forge in my b-w menu.

Would it have anything to do with dfhack at all? Or am I just not doing something right? Does anyone know?
He likes the color green, metals, flowers, olivine, and rain for its beauty. When possible, he prefers to consume tea. He absolutely detests social interaction.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
Re: magma workshops
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 05:57:56 pm »

Did you get the "found magma" message? 

If not, you could try tossing a kitten down a magma pipe and seeing if it triggers if it makes it to the bottom.
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 06:03:40 pm »

They do have to be built directly above (as in only 1 z level above) magma that is at least 4/7 deep, could that be it?
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 06:08:32 pm »

He can't find the option for magma workshops in the menus.

There is a box that pops up to in form you that you found magma. This might not be the actual magma sea.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 06:12:45 pm »

Even surface magma (volcano embark, surface magma pipe, etc) should trigger the message as soon as you embark though, right? 

You mentioned Dfhack, did you reveal/unreveal?  This can cause some wonky behavior in regards to "discovery" triggers, or at least it did for me back in DF2010 when I last used it. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Shawtay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 06:16:09 pm »

I did use reveal, and figured that was the source of the problem, I just wish it wasn't because I seem to be stuck now.
He likes the color green, metals, flowers, olivine, and rain for its beauty. When possible, he prefers to consume tea. He absolutely detests social interaction.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 06:25:00 pm »

Using DFHack, you can use the 'features' function, which will list all the features on your current embark, and allows you to set them as 'discovered' or not. This will allow you to "find" the magma, even though you can see it (and should bring up the message and allow the relevant workshops.)
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Shawtay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 06:35:52 pm »

Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person. Thank you very much.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 01:59:43 am »

nevermind, wrong

Shawtay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 12:49:08 pm »

It's correct; it's just he added an 's' onto what should be 'feature'.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 03:49:15 pm »

This is actually exactly why I wrote the the "feature" command - it just so happens that it can also be used to control growth of subterranean plants within your fortress. It's also how 40d's "magma workshop" tweak should have worked (and could have worked, complete with surviving save/load - when researching 40d's memory layouts, I discovered that it kept track of map features almost exactly the same as version 0.31 and 0.34 do).

(and should bring up the message)
It won't bring up the message, but it does the same thing the game does when the message comes up, and that thing is the same as what the game checks for when deciding whether or not to enable magma workshops.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 03:52:34 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.