Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ways to creatively decorate my fortress halls?  (Read 3353 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Ways to creatively decorate my fortress halls?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 08:38:21 pm »

Mosaics.
Make lots of colorful stone and metal blocks, and make floors out of them. Make a bunch of cobalite and pitchblende dwarves facing off against some gabbro and serpentine goblins, on a field of marble.

Arched ceilings.
d-r will be our friend.

Vaults.
Store valuables in sealed rooms, guarded by a locked door and a system that can seal off the door with an iron floodgate and floods the corridor. Put valuables in with minecarts, and only open them when the caravans come.

Light.
Put some magma pits and channels around, with grates or something over them. This has the additional benefit of using magma.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 10:49:09 pm »

Extra bonus if you top said magma lighting fixtures with lignite floor grates.  Y'know, for safety!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 10:50:05 pm »

I know a fun decoration!

▓▓▓▓▓
☺▒g§▓
▓▓▓▓▓

Huh, I could use one of these... Maybe be a use for the huge goblin population I keep around.

Hey, put a execution chamber in there. I can just imagine dwarves casually chatting while a goblin lands on the floor nearby, and his broken body is ripped by weapon traps.

Now I want a gladiater arena for my dwarves.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Cereus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 10:58:07 pm »

Chain captured invaders on squares surrounded by spike traps to set an example of them.

And everyone loves kobald petting zoos!

Alternatively, waterfall art is both useful and really cool, though I've heard it can hurt your fps. Cleans muck off your dwarves (awesome in a terrifying biome), gives happy thoughts and looks cool. I like to embark near rivers because I'm too lazy to figure out pump stacking.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 10:58:38 pm »

Chain captured invaders on squares surrounded by spike traps to set an example of them.

Alternatively, waterfall art is both useful and really cool, though I've heard it can hurt your fps. Cleans muck off your dwarves (awesome in a terrifying biome), gives happy thoughts and looks cool. I like to embark near rivers because I'm too lazy to figure out pump stacking.
Already have waterfall.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 01:08:22 am »

From a dwarf's eye view, a 3x3 hallway looks like this

Code: [Select]
███████████
████   ████

You could dig multi z-level hallways and make it look like this

Code: [Select]
███████████
█████ █████
████   ████
████   ████
████   ████

And engrave the sides all the way the top of the arch. You could make groin vaults at intersections too.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 03:42:59 am »

I really liked the idea of creating custom stockpiles for totems and lining the roads or what not.
Just make sure to forbid containers. It can be annoying getting them back out of a stockpile once they are in.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 05:31:50 am »

Du the Dwarves even see ("admire") decorations which aren't on their Z-level?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 05:53:03 am »

It's technically possible to paint walls underground depending on the minerals available in your embark.

If you cave in a natural mineral/gem cavern floor, it'll coat the walls and floor below it with the dust and change the color of the natural stone to the color of the mineral.

The downside is that the room to be painted has to be directly below the vein or cluster and you have to come up with a way to avoid the dust being cleaned up and tracked all over the fort.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 01:18:28 am »

Already have waterfall.
Yeah I've seen that dwarves get happy thoughts from waterfalls, is there any way for me to set one up? Also perhaps some more ideas for my outdoor area of the fortress. I have statues lining the roads to the map edges and I did a little bit of a mosaic for two sprites, one you'd all probably recognize, another you guys might not know. What else could I do...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 01:20:59 am by sadron »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 01:27:35 am »

Already have waterfall.
Yeah I've seen that dwarves get happy thoughts from waterfalls, is there any way for me to set one up? Also perhaps some more ideas for my outdoor area of the fortress. I have statues lining the roads to the map edges and I did a little bit of a mosaic for two sprites, one you'd all probably recognize, another you guys might not know. What else could I do...

Man I know that girl. I wanna say it's from an LoZ.

It's not Nayru from Oracle of Time is it?

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 01:32:02 am »

Already have waterfall.

Man I know that girl. I wanna say it's from an LoZ.

It's not Nayru from Oracle of Time is it?
Wow, got it in one, good job :3 Yes that's her.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 02:05:30 am »

Waterfalls aren't too hard if you have a water source and time/space to pump it around.  Problem is that it eats FPS.

Something that gives the good thoughts and a little less FPS hit is a mist generator.  That just requires four pumps and some power to keep one tile of water cycling around constantly dropping.  Good for morale and also cleaning gunk off your dwarves.  My current fort has one near the Main Gate such purposes.  I also experimented in another fort with using mine carts running a cyclical track to shuttle water from an aquifer and dump it down a grate to make mist in the interior of the fort.  The water then drained out to the edge of the map via a grate and more tunnel.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 03:10:48 am »

Put Spike traps and caged gobbos to be released onto the trap. If it gets stuck, stop anybody from cleaning it and put a glass window in front of it!

Nothing says "dwarf fortress" like the impaled bodies of your enemies...

unless those bodies are dwarf bodies... or elf bodies... or, uhm, any body at all.

Nkosi_SW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2012, 02:13:22 pm »

Arched ceilings.
d-r will be our friend.

Sorry, I don't understand how designating ramps will help us build arched ceilings.  Could you elaborate please?
Pages: 1 [2] 3