Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ways to creatively decorate my fortress halls?  (Read 3352 times)

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
Ways to creatively decorate my fortress halls?
« on: October 11, 2012, 03:07:05 pm »

I was thinking I could perhaps do more to make my halls a true home for dwarves, but other than lining the halls with masterfully crafted statues and of course engraving the halls, I can't think of too much to truly make the halls of my fortress a home to be proud of. You guys are creative, any ideas of what I could do to further improve the lavish legacy of my fortress?

Bloodyharbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ways to creatively decorate my fortress halls?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 03:10:54 pm »

I really liked the idea of creating custom stockpiles for totems and lining the roads or what not.

Also small channels filled with magma. looks pretty.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 03:19:11 pm »

I once tried to build a massive, obsidian statue of a dwarf with a beard made out of magma. A pump stack was planned to go up each leg into his head, where the magma would drain out of grates in his nose. He would also have had glass eyes so you could see the glow of the magma through them.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 03:30:22 pm »

I like to start making everything out of glass when that industry gets running. A hallway of glass doors and windows is one of my favorite things to see.

Also, digging things "in poche," i.e. out of the walls. Aside from regular rooms, I mean: for example, dig out 2x1 indentations along a main hallway and fill them with engraved slabs or glazed statues. I usually build an arena for dispensing with captured goblins, with a square floor and a square or octagonal viewing level above it. (Ignoring the fact that civilians would just run away when the goblin was released, of course. It's the thought that counts.) In the edges of the viewing level (which is usually at least 22x22) I dig out 4x4 or 5x5 spaces and use them for as tombs for my fallen soldiers. I don't consider them separate rooms since they aren't doored off, but they give the arena some character.

I also once designed an entire fort around 'circles,' as much as such a thing exists in DF. That was interesting.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 03:32:29 pm »

While I am hardly adverse to big mega projects, I'm looking for more simple things; like for decorating the halls.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 04:16:29 pm »

Armor stands and statues are very dwarfy.  My favorite I've made is a big 7-wide entry hall with pillars, engraved walls, armor stands, statues, and a big red 3-wide Kaolinite "red carpet" running down the center.  For added dwarfiness, make it protrude out from the side of a mountain and put stained-glass windows and skylights in it, which can also fight cave adaptation.  Magma fountains are also a plus, but can go from fun to !!Fun!! in an instant if not done carefully. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 04:25:14 pm »

Stockpiles for skulls, 1x10 long, lining the main hallways.
Just need to get a couple of skulls.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 04:36:23 pm »

I like the skulls idea...cept most of the skulls in my forts are puppy and kitten skulls....
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Bloodyharbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 04:55:08 pm »

Artifacts are another good one. I don't know if they will get admired, but in a high traffic area they just might.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 05:01:05 pm »

I like the skulls idea...cept most of the skulls in my forts are puppy and kitten skulls....
Whats wrong with that?
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 05:11:28 pm »

If you're looking for color rather then value necessarily there are some other options:

1. Flooring with different colored stone (Paving if you won't want to build anything on it and want to use fewer blocks.)  I usually build a "road" from my fort to one of the edges even though the caravans don't use it.  And if you want to pave with metal you can use bars directly or forge them into blocks first.

2. Gem windows.  - If you use different types of cut gems they blink different colors.

3. Cages.  This might depend on tilesets though.  In Phoebus a cage with small animals in it will have a blinking dot effect.  I noticed this when the elves traded me a cage that had a cardinal in it as a bonus.  I put in a lightning bug and a frog as well and got a cage that blinked green, yellow, red.  That was placed in a niche beside a major cross-hall intersection to act as a traffic light.   :P

4. For the statues and other furniture experiment with various materials and see if any of the colors there fit the decor you want.  I'm fond of doing some of my noble's furniture in rose gold for the purple color.  Kaolinite or bauxite lets you build in a nice red, and green glass often contrasts well with the various grey and white stones.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 05:33:31 pm »

I like lining my halls with little dug out alcoves and tossing statues in them, or occasionally coffins. Magma channels along the side of the hallway with steel grates over them also has a very dwarfy and industrial feel to it.

Raise the ceiling if possible, and continue sticking little alcoves and ledges in the walls as you go up. Gives you more space to stick statues, and/or coffins. If its a major hallway, maybe even turn some of those ledges into balconies and put small dining rooms on them. Verticle bars make excellent rails too.

I'll echo green glass goes wonderfully with many of the darker stones, especially if you've ever done any obsidian casting. Rose gold and black bronze also make wonderful purple furniture and are still reasonably valueable.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 05:42:54 pm »

I'm still in the "Shabby Chic" stage of fortress designs, I guess.  My main hallways are done simply in vomit and gobbo ichor.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 07:26:19 pm »

I want to find a way to have my dwarves throw the barrels of blood at the walls in certain areas. Mostly my Depot area. Followed by the rest of the entrance. This may be do-able with the upcoming update, at least the gathering.

Guys. We'll be able to sell blood next update.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 07:50:03 pm »

I know a fun decoration!

▓▓▓▓▓
☺▒g§▓
▓▓▓▓▓
My wooden badge was delicious.
Pages: [1] 2 3