Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Effect of preferences on masterwork creation rate  (Read 679 times)

Nkosi_SW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Effect of preferences on masterwork creation rate
« on: October 11, 2012, 01:53:17 pm »

I was hopeful that I could select weaponsmiths and armoursmiths based on their preferences to help get more masterwork items when they're at Legendary +5 level, especially when working with candy.

I decided to do some testing to see just what effect preferences had at this level.  I chose four dwarves with Legendary +5 Weaponsmith skills and various preferences, and set each of them to make 120 steel picks.  The results were as follows:
Weaponsmith 1likes steel:42 of 120 were masterwork
Weaponsmith 2likes picks:41 of 120 were masterwork
Weaponsmith 3likes steel and picks:38 of 120 were masterwork
Weaponsmith 4likes neither:39 of 120 were masterwork

Unfortunately it appears that preferences do not significantly effect the production rate of masterwork quality items at max skill level. 

Can anyone confirm or refute this, or suggest a way to increase the masterwork to exceptional production ratio at max skill level?

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Effect of preferences on masterwork creation rate
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 02:06:10 pm »

The only research on the subject I'm aware of is from nearly a year ago in the 31.xx version of DF: here.

To summarize that post, he ran 500-1800 item tests and found that material and item preferences each gave about 3-4% more masterworks. So if that research is still valid in the current version of the game, a difference exists but it's very small, statistically speaking it's not too surprising that it's not noticeable in your 120 item tests.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 02:10:09 pm »

I've seen a test a while ago ( possibly in 31. version ) that figured the bonus to be less than 10% for legendary plus for both material and item preference. It only really matters in very long production runs, and is more notable in lower skill range than legendary. Sleepiness, hunger and thristiness seems to affect the quality much more in the negative.

There're not really any methods to improve the ratio outside of making sure dwarves never get sleepy, hungry or thristy while working and ensuring that they prefer the material and item they're working on. I believe selecting certain personality traits will have them stop working to sleep or take care of their needs before it affects quality, but I don't know the specifics.

Keeping workshop uncluttered and bed nearby, equipping them with waterskin/flask and backpack ( putting them in inactive squad ), picking specific personality traits and preference, as well as recycling unwanted quality results is pretty much best you can do.

Also ninja'd about material and item preference :D
Of note is vampirism will eliminate all of the issues outside of material and item preference, however they works much slower due to inability to get booze.

Nkosi_SW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 03:49:46 pm »

Thanks for the great replies.  That makes it all much clearer.  :)