Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.  (Read 1963 times)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
Re: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 06:08:03 am »

I played academy quiteba lot but never outcast, I should probably give it a try someday.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 06:33:55 am »

You should try it, both games hold out pretty well for themselves even now.

... of course that might be because I've not played a game more recent than 2007 :( I really need a job and a new pc, god damn. The games still hold, though!
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 12:45:06 pm »

Never played Outcast, but Academy was fun. I'm not sure if I got lightsaber duels right, though. It mostly consisted of me bunnyhopping while rapidly clicking the mouse button until one of us was dead, or using level 3 Force Choke to hold them over a fatal drop while they stupidly free themselves with a Force Push while still suspended over said drop. I've also noticed that if they fall a certain height, they'll always die, even if something stops the fall from even being damaging. I think every member of the Cult of Ragnos has such extreme acrophobia that they commit suicide rather than drop 20 feet(which a Jedi can easily survive).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 01:08:24 pm »

Actually uou can use force choke to throw people with quite a bit of force (not unlike a slingshot) and throwing reborn left and right (into pits) is the best thing ever.
Just grab someone and quickly move your mouse in the desired direction while releasing the chokehold.
The victim should fly off like Team Rocket... hell i even managed to kill Reborn with it by launching them straight upwards and having them die on the way back.

It seems to not work in multiplayer tho.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 01:27:53 pm »

I was talking to a buddy about this game the other day and then he started going off on The Old Republic. I know this is off-topic(kinda) but is TOR anything like this? Or is it closer to all the other other MMORPGs? an MMOFPS based in Star Wars universe would just... just complete me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 01:30:04 pm »

Actually uou can use force choke to throw people with quite a bit of force (not unlike a slingshot) and throwing reborn left and right (into pits) is the best thing ever.
Just grab someone and quickly move your mouse in the desired direction while releasing the chokehold.
The victim should fly off like Team Rocket... hell i even managed to kill Reborn with it by launching them straight upwards and having them die on the way back.

It seems to not work in multiplayer tho.

1. Force Choke
2. Look straight up
3. Force Jump to maximize height
4. Force Push when the opponent is positioned directly over your head
5. Laugh as the opponent hits the ground at meteoric speeds
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 04:03:19 pm »

I was talking to a buddy about this game the other day and then he started going off on The Old Republic. I know this is off-topic(kinda) but is TOR anything like this? Or is it closer to all the other other MMORPGs? an MMOFPS based in Star Wars universe would just... just complete me.

Nope.
While Jedi Academy  does have a RPG element to it (force powers) it's a TPP action game.

TOR is more like World of Warcraft in a star wars setting.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 04:59:25 pm »

I fucking loved that shit, especially with the cheat that let you chop off limbs. Also, cutscenes became hilarious with it. Luke's head and legs get cut off, but he still kills Dessan by cutting off his feet!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 06:24:24 pm »

I fucking loved that shit, especially with the cheat that let you chop off limbs. Also, cutscenes became hilarious with it. Luke's head and legs get cut off, but he still kills Dessan by cutting off his feet!

There were soo many copies with that disabled.

Unfortunately ours was.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 07:12:56 pm »

I remember you could chop off limbs in Outcast, but they limited it to one arm or leg at a time. Of course there was a cheat that let you cut off as many as you actually hit, including through the middle of the torso and cutting off the head.

Fun times.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 08:22:34 pm »

Anyone else ever do formalized duels? I think I enjoyed that more than just open MP. We'd usually ban the use of active force powers besides jump and saber throw. Partly because force powers made it way too easy to get a kill shot in, and partly because we just liked trying to perfect our saber work.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 01:18:13 pm »

Some of my favorite kills are in the Chandrilia tomb mission:
  • First is when you enter the tomb. By launching a rock blocking your way, sending some poor bastard to his death.
  • These two guys, talking about how one of them was a former Stormtrooper. Jumping above them, and then Pulling them into the air, smashing them into each other.
  • One part where a cultist jumps from below right in front of you. Anticipating him, I plant a detpack where he lands, and blow it before he can push it towards me.
  • Theres on part with a guy planting bombs on a bridge. Rushing him can cause the bomb to explode, killing him before he can get away.
  • The fact that almost the whole level takes place on very narrow ledges, and it's a loooong way down.

I've noticed in this game, enemy Jedi are practically helpless when they're in the air, particularly against Force Push/Pull. It's pretty easy to send them off an edge when they jump.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 02:47:20 pm »

The joy of attempting to take on an AT-AT with nothing but a lightsaber.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 02:50:01 pm »

The joy of attempting to take on an AT-AT with nothing but a lightsaber.
Heh, this brings back memories. I totally get what you mean :D

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 05:34:04 pm »

I've noticed in this game, enemy Jedi are practically helpless when they're in the air, particularly against Force Push/Pull. It's pretty easy to send them off an edge when they jump.

Yeah. Basically any force power that isn't lightning or drain can be passively resisted. As long as you're NOT doing anything else besides running or walking. Jumping counts as doing something. That's why we banned force powers in duels. It's just too easy to wait as your opponent comes in swinging, force push/pull them to the ground and coup de grace them. Or force pushing someone near a ledge, forcing them to jump, then force pushing them out into oblivion.
Pages: 1 [2]