Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A pasture protected by ceiling grates?  (Read 3920 times)

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A pasture protected by ceiling grates?
« on: October 11, 2012, 07:56:55 am »

I searched for info on this subject but couldn't find much.

How would you do a pasture/garden protected from invasion by grates?  I assume I would want to use grates to let the grass keep growing.

According to the wiki, floor grates can only be attached to orthogonal construction.  If I didn't want to just use long horizontal walls to hold them up, I would probably need a pattern like this, where Os are constructed walls and #s are grates:

Code: [Select]
OOOOOOOOOO
O#####O###
O###O####O
O#O####O##
O####O####
O##O####O#
OO####O###
O###O####O
O#O####O##
O####O####

Is this a good idea?  Worth the effort?  Am I overthinking it?

Is there some bug I could exploit to grow grass indoors anyway? :P

Also, how would I go about making an artificial grass pasture?  Set the area to be flooded with mud?  I'm picturing a pasture at the top of a constructed tower.

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
Re: A pasture protected by ceiling grates?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 08:18:16 am »

Can't animals eat the moss that grows everywhere once you get to the caverns?

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 08:25:26 am »

You could always use DFhack to put grass wherever you want.
Irrigating is when you fill your stone cave with water, then let it evaporate or drain. This  leaves mud behind. Moss and fungi will grow on mud, and animals could live off of that. It won't be a very authentic pasture, though.
Or you could use the mud for farm plots.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the grate roof, though.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 08:40:51 am »

Won't work unfortunately. The game allows you to designate constructions attached to bridges, hatches, etc, but as soon as they've been built they immediately fall off. Not sure if it's a bug that you're allowed to designate them there, or a bug that they don't count as supported, but either way it's broken.
I just breach the caverns and then hollow out the entire soil layer. Free rainbow logs and pasture!
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 09:07:27 am »

I just realized I probably should've put this in the questions forum.  Sorry guys, it's been a while.

Can't animals eat the moss that grows everywhere once you get to the caverns?

I don't get into the caverns anymore since it always kills my frame rate.

Won't work unfortunately. The game allows you to designate constructions attached to bridges, hatches, etc, but as soon as they've been built they immediately fall off. Not sure if it's a bug that you're allowed to designate them there, or a bug that they don't count as supported, but either way it's broken.
I just breach the caverns and then hollow out the entire soil layer. Free rainbow logs and pasture!

I'll have constructed walls on the floor below which will support the grates as shown in the above diagram.  They're laid out in that pattern because it is the optimal one to reduce the number of walls needed.  Notice how every grate tile is next to a section of wall.

I just wondered if this is a good idea or worth it.  Apparently unnecessary?

Read this thread/post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108068.msg3221672#msg3221672

Hmm, last time I tried this I constructed an outdoor wall with a catwalk above, and the dark area under the catwalk didn't appear to grow anything.  Examination showed nothing but dirt.  They're saying there was actually grass there, even if I didn't see it?

So I could build a tower, put a complete ceiling over it, flood the room with mud and grass would grow for animals?  I thought from past experience that the area was only considered outdoor/lit, not that plant life would necessarily grow.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:11:19 am by UncleSporky »

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 09:15:42 am »

I'll have constructed walls on the floor below which will support the grates as shown in the above diagram.  They're laid out in that pattern because it is the optimal one to reduce the number of walls needed.  Notice how every grate tile is next to a section of wall.

I just wondered if this is a good idea or worth it.  Apparently unnecessary?

Oh, that would be fine then. I thought the walls were meant to be held up by the adjacent grates. But yeah, if you just punch a hole to the surface and then floor it over you'll be fine. Or if you want to be less exploity, build a wall around the hole, put a bridge over it that can be closed during an invasion, or whatever else. Glass ceilings are always nice if you feel like being fancy.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 09:23:46 am »

So I could build a tower, put a complete ceiling over it, flood the room with mud and grass would grow for animals?  I thought from past experience that the area was only considered outdoor/lit, not that plant life would necessarily grow.
Flood it while the tower is being built, it will be grass by the time you are done.  I've put ceilings above grass/dirt several times and yes, grass and trees do grow there.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 09:24:08 am »

Alright, thanks.  Yeah, I could do bridges that I can open and close.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 09:27:45 am »

Actually, the simplist thing to do is to just dig it all out and build a constructed ceiling above it. As long as the tiles are all clay/soil (muddied rock doesn't seem to work) and Above Ground/Light, surface grass will grow on it. Grates are a terrible idea - bowman might be able to shoot through them (I haven't confirmed), and it is not an economical use of stone (blocks are 1/4 the cost of grates)
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 10:58:55 am »

I haven't worked with clay or soil, can I create constructions out of either of them?  I doubt it, the wiki doesn't make it sound possible.  So no way to build a pasture up in the sky except through editing the world?

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 04:04:10 pm »

To do that, I think you would need to breach the first caverns. Additionally, muddied constructions do not grow plants - you would need to cast an obsidian platform, and muddy that, to have anything grow on it.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 04:29:45 pm »

When i go for pastures, i dig out 10x10 spots in sand/soil/clay and wait for cave moss to spread...
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 09:41:24 pm »

I think you could use floors and the pasture would be fine: "once outside, always outside" as the crew of my failed glass ice-dispensing tower of doom said as I abandoned. 

Grates would be nice and aesthetic, but trolls will tear them up.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 01:14:59 am »

If you strictly want iton the outside though, why not wall it in and dig an underground access tunnel thats only accessible from the inside?
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.
Pages: [1] 2