Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Star Citizen- epic space sim from creator of WingCommander  (Read 23330 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen- epic space sim from creator of WingCommander
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2012, 03:23:37 pm »

Well, that analogy is... completely useless to me.

Burritos? Are those like tacos? Can't think of tacos being that cheap, I usually have to go to a Mexican restaurant to get one.

Do you guys normally eat that many burritos?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2012, 03:24:04 pm »

sometimes.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2012, 09:33:07 pm »

$6,848,276 . I think they will hit 7 mil by the end of the year.

Yep, $7,014,184  current total.  Its the fundraiser that keeps funding!
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2012, 10:20:42 am »

About system specs

It's a space game, which means bugger all enviromental polys
Space games have generally looked very pretty because they can afford to make the things the player looks mostly at (ship models, weapons effects) look splendid whilst the enviroment can take a back seat without it looking bland.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2012, 11:15:47 am »

Bets on when they'll make procedurally generated walkable planet surfaces? I expect procedural star systems to come first personally.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2012, 11:56:55 am »

Bets on when they'll make procedurally generated walkable planet surfaces? I expect procedural star systems to come first personally.
Bet you 50 internet cookies they don't. 7 million is by far not a big enough budget to do that properly.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2012, 12:18:00 pm »

Boo send some money to Elite :P

Give the master of procedural generation in games some love.

Taren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2012, 05:43:15 am »

I was going to post this but glad to see this thread here.

The game looks fantastic. All I have to say is, if they can -learn- from Terminus which looked equally excellent years back, and not have people reach endgame in no time at all, there'll have a winner. If not it'll be a pretty flash in the pan with a good single player campaign. No a bad thing still but worth noting :).

Ex wingcommander developer, now up to 7 million on an indie space sim project really, this is the only game that I am thinking of upgrading my computer for. Even if all it does is follow the old wingcommander mold and give it a polish for a great single player I will enjoy it but if it does have the successful online play it promises, well then here we have the alter ego to eve online :).

-edit

Also I don't see what is difficult about doing a single player game then leaving it alone as is. Then doing the multiplayer side. It's when developers try to update both and work on both at the same time they tend to struggle with one or both. ME 3 single player DLC for example.

What also looks promising is they are supporting modders, so hats off to them there, lots of potential.

Bet you 50 internet cookies they don't. 7 million is by far not a big enough budget to do that properly.

Well it depends what you class as properly. Games have done it before with much less. Though I have no personal need to see planets walkable, I'd rather they get the space side of things fully feature rich first.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 06:09:38 am by Taren »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2012, 10:21:00 am »

It will be out in 2 yeas. By that time, I'll have a job and a kickass PC.

I can see why PC gamers are called PC elitist. When you build your own PC, you'll feel pride in it. When console people say the PC is shit, the guy who built his own PC will obviously get offended. The console people will never understand the pride of your own creation when they take pride in someone elses work.

I'll build my own PC just to run this.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2015, 06:06:53 am »

Someone just sent me the latest video for Star Citizen, so i decided to see if Bay12ers had a thread. Update: 2+ years and it's not out yet, but the trailers are looking damn pretty. The game has also broken all records, with crowdfunding recently exceeding $75 million. The game keeps setting and breaking it's own records. So the fucker should look pretty as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbZLbb0_RBI

Expect to see Anita Sarkeesian all over it though, as they've failed to include even 1 female NPC in the latest super-expensive looking trailer for a game that's supposed to be all things for all gamers, and that has been in dev for almost 4 years now (well looking at it again, that might be a girl sidekick once where you see 0.5% of her face in one shot, but the clear message is that this is a game for dudes). I'm not usually picking up that sort of thing, but it's so blatantly obvious with this trailer. Apparently polls of fans show it's 97% male, only 2% female. "Other" gender is also 2%. It's even making stuff like GTA and COD look feminist-friendly. Maybe they could have spent a couple of those millions on checking that they are actually reaching out to as many gamers as possible.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:14:43 am by Reelya »

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2015, 07:47:51 am »

Expect to see Anita Sarkeesian all over it though, as they've failed to include even 1 female NPC in the latest super-expensive looking trailer for a game that's supposed to be all things for all gamers, and that has been in dev for almost 4 years now (well looking at it again, that might be a girl sidekick once where you see 0.5% of her face in one shot, but the clear message is that this is a game for dudes). I'm not usually picking up that sort of thing, but it's so blatantly obvious with this trailer. Apparently polls of fans show it's 97% male, only 2% female. "Other" gender is also 2%. It's even making stuff like GTA and COD look feminist-friendly. Maybe they could have spent a couple of those millions on checking that they are actually reaching out to as many gamers as possible.
Now that you bring that up (the bolding I did), yeah, it is weird how dude-dominated it is. How many thousands of years and no... no change? I'm almost inclined to go through with my plans of a revolutionary radical pirate group and promote a YES-WE-CAN attitude for the workers, for the women, for the transgendered, for the queer, for the poor...
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2015, 08:02:38 am »

Starships have a gender? Can't wait to see fighters with nipples.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2015, 08:14:31 am »

Starships have a gender? Can't wait to see fighters with nipples.
omg.... because of you i just pictured a giant vagina shooting herpes as weapon.... damn you...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2015, 09:26:51 am »

"Colonel Not-Blair, protect the Panther's Claw! She is under attack by a Foul Squirter-class cruiser!"

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2015, 04:58:43 am »

I've been a simmer for years, I'm honestly surprised women polled higher than 1%.

Based on my prior experience I would've said the typical ratio is 200:1.

So only makes sense they appeal to their target audience, I'm assuming in MP you'll be able to choose between a male or female pilot like in Elite - only difference that ends up making though is when I look down using my TrackIR I have my vision obscured by chest meats, no one else can see this (and you can't change the setting without deleting your pilot, obviously FD discriminates against Transgenders or something...)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10