Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Goblin Age  (Read 11160 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
The Goblin Age
« on: October 10, 2012, 10:06:15 pm »

I just generated a 1,999-year world in Kobold Camp. For the first 163 years, the mighty beasts and living gods held sway over the world. The Age of Myths came to a close when Gatshi Boardfed the human adventurer defeated Ica Granitemolded the Horns of Squashing. These times of monsters were swiftly fading; the Age of Legends ended merely 24 years after it started, due to the goblin Telsta Workshark killing Elifa Islandlake the Sunny tufts, an icy giant with mandibles and a deadly spittle who lived in the Fair Hills. These two beasts were arbitrarily chosen as the ends of their eras; the roc Zusmob Budtaker the Famous Shin of Zeal was slain by the elven clothier, woodcrafter, and adventurer Afe Mothshaft, later slain by Nemen Gleamsweat the Primitive Muck. This many-headed monster was slain in 172 by the legendary elf Sethe Councelledmirthful the Wad of Length, who also slew hundreds of goblins, dozens of their warbeasts, and a few kobolds. The only other notable creature was a snowy, winged blob called Ngomustu Rocksumbral the Misty Ford, slain by the kobold Stolrorer Squeezethinned, a kobold adventurer who did no other notable deeds before her peaceful death. Regardless, by the dawn of the 188th year of the world, the mighty monsters were no more.
For many years, it was a golden age for the world. While there were wars, most were waged against kobolds, and they don't count. From 188 to 346, 158 years, this golden age lasted--nearly the age of the world, and longer tha many of it inhabitants. Then...well, it had started earlier, but by the 340s attacks by kobolds and their troll soldiers had weakened the humans enough that even they had to admt it.
The goblins were by far the most powerful race in the world.
Now, after over a millenium and a half of goblin domination, things are no longer the same. While the lands to the south of the Fair Hills--The Dune of Poems, The Barb of Limbs, and so on--are still the only unoccupied land, the land and the people in it are much different. There has been nothing built except tombs and fortresses built for almost two millenia now; the last fortress, Thriftygrowls, was built nearly a millenium ago and was lost to the elves five hundred years ago. While the indominable goblin empires war, the elves and humans have been squabbling, each race blaming the other for the wrongs of the world. The four human nations have been reduced to as many towns, plus two fortresses and several tombs; one has only a pair of tombs left under its control. The elves have several retreats among five nations, the goblins' might is unquantifiable, and several noecromancer towers dot the land.
Kobolds are doing surprisingly well, all things considered. They occupy several towns among three tribes and a forest retreat with another, and have a sense of camaraderie alien to the larger races.

This is Anenu as the second millenium dawns.
I have three questions.
One, are there any questions you have about the history of the world?
Two, are there any tools or special techniques you would suggest that would let me, say, determine how many of each race are alive (and ideally citizens of civ X)?
Three, do you think this sounds like a good place to start a community or succession kobold camp, and do you have any ideas?
The kobolds
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: The Goblin Age
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 10:23:16 pm »

I'd join, except all the kobolds would die by Turn 2 when Y2K rolls around. :(
My wooden badge was delicious.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 10:28:10 pm »

The fortress will be starting in Y2K, which is why I  had it Gen until 1999.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 10:42:42 pm »

The goblins were hoping for flying wagons in the year 2000. They got segways, hiphop, gangsters, and drug dealers instead.

Not that any of these concepts are foreign to goblins of any nation. They are evil by nature, after all. And somehow failed to come up with anything resembling the internet! For shame...

You can get the total world populations by exporting the world's information from legends mode. Just press 'p'. From there, look in the sites and pops file it generates in your main DF directory. There's no good way to find the specific population of a single civ, though. There's a utility called Legends Viewer that might be useful.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 12:22:47 am »

This sounds very interesting.

And the in-game export info tool that Eric Blank mentions is VERY useful. I've used it on almost every world I make
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 12:38:37 am »

One should get the save, get an adventurer, and go on a crusade to destroy all the goblins. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 06:28:19 am »

Currently impossible, due both to the nonexistent dark towers and how civilians respawn.

I'll upload the save this afternoon, though.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 08:08:57 pm »

I'm working on getting dffd to accept the zipped save, but until then here's some population numbers.

There are over 27,700 goblins; a bit under 3,700 humans; around 8,500 elves; and less than 2,000 kobolds. There are hundred, maybe over a thousand, humans in goblin settlements; maybe one in ten or fifteen is a prisoner. A similar proportion of free elves to goblin and prisoner elves seems to exist, and probably at least a hundred or two kobolds are goblin prisoners. Elven and kobold settlements are purely their parent race an and domestic animals, but human towns seem to contain maybe 1% goblins. Some hamlets are just hundreds of abandoned farm animals and pets. It only gets worse...
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 09:20:14 pm »

Well, anyone got a clever idea for the camp?
Sig

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 10:37:49 pm »

Build it around a mighty waterfall! Let them reside in the cliff faces!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 10:48:15 pm »

Set up the mightiest fortress of all and then declare war on all the other civs, survive waves of the battle hardened soldiers from the last members of each civ and the endless swarms of goblins.
Nom nom nom

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 11:02:35 pm »

I found a good spot in a haunted swamp. Three streams meet to form a river, clay, shallow metal, very deep soil...only disadvantage I see is salty water, and a well fixes that up. Thoughts?
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 11:22:16 am »

Other being no objections, I'll start there shortly. Anyone want to be bolded?
Sig

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 11:43:13 am »

Bold Scruffy, the Janitor.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 11:46:03 am »

Bold Winterdirge, the Possessed Doctor.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5