Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: What would be the file size of dwarf fortress if it had skyrim graphics?  (Read 25468 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: What would be the file size of dwarf fortress if it had skyrim graphics?
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2012, 09:54:32 pm »

You forget that soon it will lose speed, and then it will go slower, slower, to the point of reverse.

Also why are we talking about quantum physics.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2012, 10:03:12 pm »

You forget that soon it will lose speed, and then it will go slower, slower, to the point of reverse.

Because this is Bay12, that's why.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2012, 11:07:59 pm »

Soon it will lose speed? No, it is literally gaining speed as we speak. Things don't just... stop accelerating, unless there's something we don't know.

Which, of course, is likely as fuck, but we can't really ignore the fact that the universe's expansion is going faster constantly.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2012, 11:21:01 pm »

It can't keep expanding forever from an infinitessimal singularity.
That violate the Something's Law of Energy Conservation.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2012, 11:29:13 pm »

...No, not really. I really don't understand how that is related to the second law of thermodynamics or the law of conservation of mass.

The expansion of space-time isn't an expenditure of energy or a creation of it, it's a result of the interactions between... oh who the hell knows. We don't even know what the hell is causing it other than "some energy we don't know what it is". But that's the thing, it's caused by energy. In fact, some say that the accelerating expansion of the universe is the only way to not violate that law--an idea that states that the expansion is sort of "negative energy/mass", and in the end, with the expansion, the total amount of energy/mass in the universe is 0, which makes complete and total sense. Not everything has to be time-symmetric, you know, least of all entropy. In fact, I'm pretty sure that entropy is the only thing that isn't, and entropy is the important thing going on here.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2012, 03:39:47 pm »

My first explaination of entropy in a High School Physics class.  After explaining that all energy transfer and transformations are less than perfect, thus resulting in entropy, Prof. Gibson says:

"So, leaving a cup of tea on the table to cool off into its surroundings is adding to the entropy of the universe.  Just drink it, already."

§¢ǿŗÞﵧ

• Bay Watcher
  • Terrible coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2012, 06:08:45 pm »

there is experimental evidence that the universe is expanding ever faster.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:12:00 pm by §¢ǿŗÞﵧ »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2012, 03:54:03 am »

If the Universe continues to expand at an exponential rate, that means that the size it can potentially expand to is infinite. Therefore, the Universe will reach a point where it is literally infinite; i.e., totally impossible to measure, rather than just vastly impractical. There is no definite number for 'infinite', as it would then be finite, but something cannot be any larger than infinite. Thus, once the Universe reaches its point of literal infinity, it will cease to expand. This means there will be a massive 'backlog', for want of a better word, of pressure that previously caused the Universe to expand. We know from basic physics that when you cram too much into a box, the box will burst... so what happens when an infinitely-sized Universe bursts?

A really Big Bang.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2012, 05:49:34 am »

I think I read in a science book recently that there is some sort of thing that possesses mass that is slowly slowing down the expansion of the universe. Eventually, as mentioned, it will crunch together and then there will be another big bang, and so on.
Mind you, i'm hardly educated in the subject, and this is from a high-school physical science book.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2012, 08:47:10 am »

I think I read in a science book recently that there is some sort of thing that possesses mass that is slowly slowing down the expansion of the universe. Eventually, as mentioned, it will crunch together and then there will be another big bang, and so on.
Mind you, i'm hardly educated in the subject, and this is from a high-school physical science book.

That would be dark matter, and no. Dark energy is far more prevalent (I.E, it's 74% of the universe's everything). And, like I said, accelerating. Exponential growth. It's not slowing down, we are watching it speed up.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2012, 10:43:38 am »

I'm just wondering. If DF did have as good graphics as skyrim, I would estimate the file size to be above 3 or 4 terabytes. What do you guys think?  :-\

It could be done with only a few gigs or even less than one gig, depending on resolution.

Since DF is generated, the same assets would be re-used and combined together. Every asset would have to be based on the raw and then combined with other assets to display the final result.

For example there is no need to have different models and textures and animations for every possible combinaison of dwarves including their hair colors, facial features, equiped items and so on. By going at the raw level there would be one generated model for arms and legs and for each body parts. Then the textures would be generic skin texture, color adjusted. Clothes would be generic clothes with filters depending on materials. An worn axe would be using the only axe model in the game, with one texture for the base metal material used.

So sorry but there is no need for a quantuum computer or a moonputer or millions of terrabytes.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2012, 10:49:43 am »

So sorry but there is no need for a quantuum computer or a moonputer or millions of terrabytes.

There might not be a need, but there might be an urge for it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2012, 01:07:48 pm »

Considering how heavy all of the generation would be.
3 FPS is not that fun.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2012, 02:10:00 pm »

3 FPS is not that fun.

It would have to be pre-generated for the current area, with a background thread generating stuff or adjacent areas so that its ready before we move it.

Then have the polygon count and texture resolution scale automatically based on how much RAM and video processing power is available.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2012, 05:48:25 pm »

3 FPS is not that fun.

It would have to be pre-generated for the current area, with a background thread generating stuff or adjacent areas so that its ready before we move it.

Then have the polygon count and texture resolution scale automatically based on how much RAM and video processing power is available.
But the actual program would remain quite small... like it is now. Well, it'll grow, but not nearly as much as some round here seem to think.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8