Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: What would be the file size of dwarf fortress if it had skyrim graphics?  (Read 25449 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: What would be the file size of dwarf fortress if it had skyrim graphics?
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2012, 09:37:42 am »

Y'know, I just realized that if such a thing exist Planewalked will insta-kill the FPS.
Then it'll become the Artifact of Doom.
   Actually even though it is recursive it would not break the computer with when displayed in Skyrim level graphics just like PI doesn't break computers. Likely the image would be rounded to the lowest visible level.
   Also Black Holes are a fun toy to play with because as someone mentioned while time doesn't go backwards it may stop or even cease to exist. Stopping time is fun but the real interesting things happen with when it stops existing entirely. Now as a thought experiment what happens if all matter in the universe gets sucked into a single Black Hole?  If you describe the situation it sounds like what scientist describe what there is before the Big Bang and yet there is nothing to cause something like the Big Bang. Also everything is now Timeless, so now that time doesn't exist it is not a matter of time travel but rather of time starting in the first place so if a Big Bang happens could that not be described as the start of time? It very well could but we are back to how does the Big Bang happen, well you would need something beyond how physics works, something, oh I don't know, Supernatural maybe? Whether you want to say God or Magic or maybe just some undiscovered natural law something causes the Big Bang and everything starts up again. Once again this would not be time travel just starting time up again so its easy to in this model place this new start right at the beginning of our iteration and boom we have the existence of an alternate dimension which is slightly or largely different because of how we interacted with this one. And just so you know, everything ending up in a single super massive black hole is one of the likely ends for the universe.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2012, 11:06:17 am »

How would Skyrim react if it had to display and store individual scars, missing teeth, broken nails, artifact decorations, etc? How could it remember the exact coordinates of each spatter of blood and vomit? How would it deal with injuries being crippling and healing on their own, how would it depict a goblin splatting on the ground while still depicting dwarves falling a z-level and just bruising their chest?

Giving Df good Skyrimesque graphics would probably take as much code as tbe rest of DF, plus several times the graphics coding of Skyrim.

Let's assume for the moment that Skyrim's graphics are roughly half characters and half setting. 

The character models would need expansion for various procedurally generated options; things like scars, tattoos, etc are fairly easy, while expanding the head model to model teeth individually would be easy to set up, but slow rendering down unless carefully optimized.  Then they'd need some more base models for other races.  I'd guess maybe 5 times as much here.  They'd also need armor and clothing for other styles, biomes, etc. and a procedural option for handling decorations; perhaps another 5x to 20x depending on how elaborate and specific you get.  What that doesn't cover is the anthropomorphic animal races.  What you'd really need would be a procedural template to "anthorpomorphize" a beast model; this is fairly doable for anything that's basically 4-limbed, but would require more work for things on radically different body plans.  You'd also need fairly decent models for a much wider variety of animals; this could easily be another 10x, 20x, or more. 

As far as setting goes, you'd need nearly that much again for every "majorly different" biome you wanted to depict.  How many you'd need is a matter of opinion; 5x might do it for a very simple take, 10x would be more reasonable and 20x would allow you to get pretty elaborate.  Much of this would be plant models.  Code to generate different sorts of procedural terrain would need to be worked on; the existing setup is designed to give a fairly limited number of "looks" optimized for a craggy, Norse sort of feel.  New terrain modeling routines takes a lot of time to develop but not much space; the hard part is figuring out what combination of inputs to which generators give you "rolling hills of the Shire" versus "Mordor". 

You'd also need a procedural item decoration system, which probably inherits from other procedural systems but ends up being a frame-rate problem if not carefully optimized (and possibly even if it is). 

All told, I'd guess that the most minimal version that would meet the description would be roughly ten times the graphics size of Skyrim, and run at similar speeds in wilderness areas but drop to half speed at best (quite possibly more like a quarter) in busy towns, meeting halls, etc. due to having to process a lot more specific info.  In practice, you'd probably have a variable-detail system, where the "draw distance" for a lot of details is shortened significantly in the presence of crowds; and some details are abstracted away.  (For instance, in a crowd the aforementioned teeth might be simplified from 3d objects to a pair of curved 2d arcs representing only the front teeth and merely tracking their absence or presence via simple rectangles of dark or ivory; 1/100th the rendering cost for a visual impression that's nearly as good for anyone in the crowd not adjacent to you.)  A more complete implementation could easily be a couple times that, but probably still less than a hundred times the graphics size. 

As for simulation... everyone should read the classic short story "I don't know, Timmy, being God is a big responsibility"  for a starter.  (Seriously, go read it now, before the next several paragraphs, which will have spoilers.)

The story generally works if the setting has two criteria: genuinely infinite computing (not currently believed to be possible due to the quantum nature of reality; reality is not analog enough), and a causal feedback loop, which is a neat plot point but I haven't found any indication that it's likely. 

Somewhat more generally, to get an infinite stack of simulations as in the story, you need a setting that is mathematically analog (ie, distances, velocities, angles, etc. are true mathematical real numbers with physically meaningful infinite possible precision).  This means you can in principle encode anything, or in fact *everything*, onto something like the spin axis angle of a single particle using what is basically a Hilbert's Hotel inspired encoding scheme with increasingly higher-order functions.  (Given the comments in the story, this appears to be the way their infinite computer works.) 

We're pretty sure our universe doesn't work that way.  However, it's possible that if you have a situation where computational power grows faster than the complexity of the universe, both approaching an asymptote, you might be able to *simulate* the above infinite simulation, by doing so exponentially slower (effectively, trading functionally-infinite calculation time for infinite precision).  At one point it was thought by some that quantum computing in a so-called "Big Crunch" scenario at the end of the universe might have this property, which lead to some of the original speculation about the odds of us being in the middle of a stack of simulations.  Given current astrophysics a Big Crunch seems unlikely and perhaps impossible; given current information theory, asymptotically increasing computation on quantized finite matter/energy seems impossible. 

So, according to our current and likely understanding, it's not possible to accurately simulate a universe like ours with less than a similar universe's worth of stuff.  This means no infinite chains of nested simulations (the "turtles all the way down" plan of the short story), which dramatically decreases the odds we're in a simulation. 

It doesn't remove them, however.  If our universe exists, as some theories seem to think, as a "bubble" of sorts in a much higher-dimensional metaverse; then it is possible (and perhaps even moderately likely) that our seeming quantum reality is precisely the simulation limitations of some higher-order sim running in the metaverse.  In the same way that Conway's Game of Life or of course DF is a highly simplified, far more quantized version of our reality that remains interesting; our reality might be a highly simplified, far more quantized version / simulation / game / offshoot from a "higher order" reality.  It seems that an infinite chain of these is unlikely; each layer down requires one (or more) fewer dimensions (or perhaps one cardinality level less infinity in scope); and it seems likely that in a real system, the "starting" situation would have a finite number of dimensions and thus an eventual limit on layers of simulation.  This might well be dozens; the original Bosonic string theory posited 26, but is currently thought to not be reasonable, with 11 or 10 seeming more likely if applicable at all. 

So, cheer up!  Odds that we're the "original" universe and not basically the @s in some higher order setting's version of DF may be as high as 1 in 10 or so!  :)

P.S.:  There is an additional eccentric option, which is that if you have a finite universe, but infinitely repeatable time travel, you may be able to simulate infinite matter/energy by infinite time loops.  A very limited version of this is used by Stephen Baxter's Xeelee, who use finite time travel to leverage their abilities; but that setting does not appear to allow infinite time travel and they are thus unable to improve their situation by more than what is effectively a constant.  (Spoiler: Eventually, they (and all baryonic intelligences) loose to dark-matter intelligences, and are forced to evacuate to another universe.  It's implied that there is a large finite or very-low-order infinite number of alternate universes, and a fairly small maximum number of meaningful dimensions, so infinite-stack simulation doesn't work in that setting either.)

P.P.S: A more sophisticated take on the odds looks at our place in the spatial dimension stack.  0 dimensions can't simulate anything.  1 dimensional simulations do exist (IIRC they were used in early stellar evolution models, as a homogeneously layered sphere can be modeled by a suitably arranged 1-dimensional ray simulation with dramatically less computer power needed).  Two-dimensional simulations of various fidelity are common, and we are 3-dimensional.  If there are dimensions 4-11 (or some similar number) "above" us, then odds we're the "top" level seem less likely, as each dimension gets dramatically more "interesting".  One would have to posit some unique property of 3-space that makes it more organizable than higher spaces despite its limitations; there are some odd mathematical possibilities to start from but that begins to get fairly speculative. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 11:19:41 am by Miuramir »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2012, 02:41:17 pm »

Skyrim would definitely need a brand-new terrain generator; Bethesda INTENTIONALLY fuxored the terrain generator for the creation kit because they wanted us to learn how to do terrain in photoshop and import it instead "like professionals" or some bullshit. Even the features of the terrain generator they said would work (importing/exporting images and saving the terrain) are completely useless as they cause the CK to crash, which means we can't even use the method they intended for us to use. So, we have to resort to third-party terrain generation and export, that has to generate a new .esp file instead of using one you've already been working on (and still no TESVGecko so we can't merge .esp's/.esm's yet), in order to rapidly achieve pregenerated terrain. The only other option is to do massive projects in the editor by hand. My fucking wrists! Their terrain manipulation tools! Oh god... You might get 1 square kilometer of terrain, no objects like the craggy mountain peaks, done in 24 hours, and you'd be shopping for a printer that can mass-produce bandages for all the blisters you'd have.

Procedurally generated models? Not in that game engine! I think it MIGHT be possible to do with textures, as you could write a program that pastes together a bunch of textures to simulate scars for an individual item (but not creature or NPC), and copy the base model of that item and manipulate the copy to use the new texture. You'd still have to rewrite all the code so it can actually patch things on the fly, though, because currently any and all changes have to go through the POS creation kit, except changing a texture on a model that is used by a pre-existing object already in the game. You can't make new, unique items and models, and if you did, the game would have to be saved, closed, and restarted every time you want to do it.

You couldn't change skyrim enough to handle any of the things DF can accomplish. You'd have to write an entirely new game, game engine, all-new file formats for models and textures, animations for non-static meshes, and a way to tell every single different type creature how to hold every sort of item in a way that makes sense. Computers have no idea what is "too ridiculous" or "mind-breakingly stupid-looking." Only humans could understand the concept fully. And it would have to be able to write, save, and load new resources on-the-fly without having to restart the program.

Talk to whoever was working on the first few E3 showcases of SPORE. Back then, it certianly had a way to handle new models, texture them somewhat well, and actually had that totally-kewl system for writing animations for your new creation! (The released final product has no animation generation; everything uses the same set of animations, which looks pretty fucking stupid most of the time.)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2012, 05:00:25 pm »

If this universe is a simulation, then we have an annoyingly absent Programmer. He is either:
1. Unaware of our particular planet/species/point in time. Who says the Programmer is even human? In all of time and space there are probably millions of intelligent lifeforms. If the whole universe is simulated, there's bound to be some uninteresting backwaters like Earth in 2012.
2. Unsympathetic. The suffering and death that happen to people every day is real, at least to us who experience it. Imagine screwing with simulated characters who's emotion is simulated to the point where its completely indistinguishable from actual human emotion. Imagine sitting by and watching a tsunami devastate an entire nation of such simulated people, when all you would have had to do was type in a bit of code, and stabilize the Earth's crust, preventing such a tsunami from ever forming and saving all those people so much pain. This guy is sounding like some kind of mega-jerk!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2012, 05:11:53 pm »

If this universe is a simulation, then we have an annoyingly absent Programmer. He is either:
1. Unaware of our particular planet/species/point in time. Who says the Programmer is even human? In all of time and space there are probably millions of intelligent lifeforms. If the whole universe is simulated, there's bound to be some uninteresting backwaters like Earth in 2012.
2. Unsympathetic. The suffering and death that happen to people every day is real, at least to us who experience it. Imagine screwing with simulated characters who's emotion is simulated to the point where its completely indistinguishable from actual human emotion. Imagine sitting by and watching a tsunami devastate an entire nation of such simulated people, when all you would have had to do was type in a bit of code, and stabilize the Earth's crust, preventing such a tsunami from ever forming and saving all those people so much pain. This guy is sounding like some kind of mega-jerk!
Is it bad I read this and thought "Boy that sounds fun?"
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2012, 05:14:58 pm »

Hello, Dwarf Fortress much
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2012, 05:25:06 pm »

Hello, Dwarf Fortress much
I forgot whats written in my own signature...
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2012, 05:27:37 pm »

I too sometimes forget what I am but then I remember the thread about mermaids and laugh a little bit (which in it self this does not remind me but it paints a big clue for me)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2012, 05:38:15 pm »

They're also thought to be almost completely useless for any purpose other than cryptography.
Grover's algorithm shows this is not true. Grover's algorithim is a general purpose search/filter algorithm implemented using a quantum computer.

Scientists think a lot of things. They also try to verify them :P

What you say is a logical argument, but is it reasonable to assume our universe is two dimensional? Well, we have a 3rd dimension to disagree. Allowing of course, our flawed perceptions, but still. Threee deeee.

By "two dimensional" I mean the surface of our universe. The math of string theory (which if you tried to understand, without proper knowledge about quantum field theory, would make your brain explode) shows this to be true. (And also by "the surface of our universe" I mean the surface of the three dimensional membrane that we currently occupy according to string theory)
The holographic principle isn't unique to string theory.

§¢ǿŗÞﵧ

• Bay Watcher
  • Terrible coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2012, 06:05:35 pm »

There is something more depressing about this too. with the creation of quantum computers, philosophers now think that there is a possibility that we might be living in a simulation. I know it sounds crazy but think about it carefully: If quantum computers have the potential to be this powerful, then it is possible they can create artificial intelligence in a simulation. And these computers also have the possibility to simulate entire universes.
As to the math stuff: Couldn't the universe be the three-dimensional surface of a four-dimensional black hole?

well... a black hole contains what is known as singularity in its center. Singularity is one dimensional (so a infinitely small dot) so if we did live in a black hole 1) time would go backwards and 2) we would be crushed to a point by hyper gravity.

...No.

Singularities are zero dimensional. Time doesn't really go backwards anywhere; in black holes, it either slows to a standstill or just ceases to exist.

oops sorry i meant zero.

Time doesn't really go backwards anywhere; in black holes, it either slows to a standstill or just ceases to exist.

I remember reading that in a quantum mechanics book somewhere... but you may be right... i read that book two years ago

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 06:07:29 pm by §¢ǿŗÞﵧ »

§¢ǿŗÞﵧ

• Bay Watcher
  • Terrible coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2012, 06:11:53 pm »

They're also thought to be almost completely useless for any purpose other than cryptography.
Grover's algorithm shows this is not true. Grover's algorithim is a general purpose search/filter algorithm implemented using a quantum computer.

Scientists think a lot of things. They also try to verify them :P

What you say is a logical argument, but is it reasonable to assume our universe is two dimensional? Well, we have a 3rd dimension to disagree. Allowing of course, our flawed perceptions, but still. Threee deeee.

By "two dimensional" I mean the surface of our universe. The math of string theory (which if you tried to understand, without proper knowledge about quantum field theory, would make your brain explode) shows this to be true. (And also by "the surface of our universe" I mean the surface of the three dimensional membrane that we currently occupy according to string theory)
The holographic principle isn't unique to string theory.
i never said it was, i was just thinking that according to string theory the true edge of our universe would be the edge of our membrane so it might be possible that the information might be laid out on the surface of our membrane.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2012, 06:41:46 pm »

Moonputer.

Im gonna have to sig that, just because its an amazing word.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2012, 06:55:24 pm »

Moonputer.

Im gonna have to sig that, just because its an amazing word.
"That's no moon..."
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

VNdoug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2012, 07:00:26 pm »

Urist McScientist discusses about black holes and quantum computing, shattering VNdoug's brain through the (kitten leather hood)!

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2012, 07:09:19 pm »

meh. sjyrim looks like its trying too hard to be realistc and failing badly. I think the graphics such. i prefer simplified graphics like dwarf fortress or minecraft because, even though they aren't that realistic, they actually look good unlike the supposedly realistic graphics of other games. also. in other words i have no opinion on this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8