Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Is Toady making a Matrix-like construct?  (Read 3523 times)

bradr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is Toady making a Matrix-like construct?
« on: October 10, 2012, 12:00:11 pm »

I was watching the Matrix Reloaded last night, while playing a game of Dwarf Fortress & also surfing the web during long periods letting my fortress do it's thing. 

Then I came across Toady's most recent update about vegetation, leaf cloud falling patterns, and acorns.  At the same time the movie came to the scene where Neo meets Agent Smith(s) in the park.  Some crows fly around, the wind picks up, and then the fight scene starts.

Meanwhile, in my fort I look down and see a brown "-" flying over my ramparts.  A couple of dworfs are sparring next to their barracks during the height of winter, and think to myself, "Oh, look at that sparrow flying over the fortifications."  I can almost picture the cold flakes of snow as they blanket the ground, the frozen banks of the river, and the frosted breath coming from the mouths my sparring dworfs.

Couple of things hit me then. 
1) I have no idea how Toady does all of this, but what he does is simply amazing.  There is so much going on in this game. I can't even comprehend how he keeps track of all the game's programming, but the level of detail and interaction is astounding. 
2) This game is quickly/has/will become a simulator for real life.  Not in all of life's complexities mind you, but certainly a very interesting microversion of what happens in our world.  I would almost think of it as a very primitive version of the Matrix.  Has anyone else ever thought along these lines?
3) My imagination is clearly in overdrive most of the time, so it is what it is.  However I cannot ever imagine this game going over to full graphical support, because of that very same imagination, pairing with the ASCII graphics, is what brings the world to distinct life for me.

Time for another cup of coffee...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Is Toady making a Matrix-like construct?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 01:27:29 pm »

Hehe, welcome to the forums. And its how alot of us feel. DF is incredibly deep game, i would even go as far as saying that it has the deepest gameplay yet. And yes, Toady plans on making this a megasimulator.

(Oh, and this is not really something viable for discussion, but i understand, i have loads of moments when i just want to share some random toughts with the world)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 01:48:06 pm »

Mister Bradreson.

It seems you have been living two lives.  One life, you're Joe Q Bradreson, game player of a indie-produced software product.  You have a version number of up to 0.34.11 and play your fortresses or you maybe even... adventure around Dwarfworld, killing bandit leaders and other garbage.  The other life is lived outdoors, where you go by the name <redacted> and are guilty of every crime against the law of thermodynamics there is[1].  One of these lives has a future...  and so does the other, actually.

Enjoy.

[/AgentStarver]

(Yeah, wot miauw62 said. ;) )

[1] There are none, don't worry.  Feel free to keep on self-organising out of relative chaos for as long as you can sustain the relevant entropy gradients.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 03:47:09 pm »

Hello Mr. Bradreson, we've been expecting you.

"There's way too much information to decode DF. You get used to it. I...I don't even see the code. All I see is Dwarf, sock, plump helmet, fire... Hey uh, I might grab some coffee too."

The wisdoms of DF and the matrix are practically interchangeable.

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself." ~ Dwarf Fortress

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 04:08:50 pm »

What if toady just sends the simulator through us and our brains digest the 'features' then he recodes them making it infinitely more complex?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 04:49:30 pm »

Then he'd die of starvation attempting to repair all the bugs our mental perceptions of the world produce. The average of so many flawed perceptions of reality? Irreparable. Attempting to precipitate out the misinformation and poorly-designed components would be impossible.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 04:57:46 pm »

Then he'd die of starvation attempting to repair all the bugs our mental perceptions of the world produce. The average of so many flawed perceptions of reality? Irreparable. Attempting to precipitate out the misinformation and poorly-designed components would be impossible.
The terrifying part is if Toady succeeded - why, we'd have no way of finding out.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 07:05:57 pm »

After a while, you don't even see symbols. All I see is carpenter, goblin, bloody axe...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

bradr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 09:02:23 pm »

After a while, you don't even see symbols. All I see is carpenter, goblin, bloody axe...

Barrel of wine, barrel of ale, barrel of beer, effin' vermin.  Jeesus - look at all those cats!  Where the hell did them cats all come from!!! 

Caaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn'ttttttttttt moooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeee annnnnnnnyyyyymoooorr......

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 06:50:04 pm »

Hey, I've seen that cat before...

It's a glitch in the fortress! HIDE!
I need to put something interesting here.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 10:11:02 pm »

Exactly.
My brother sees a grey smiley face, I see an elderly dwarf with a pickaxe and a neatly combed beard.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 10:14:28 pm »

I still see a grey smiley face :(

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 05:49:01 am »

Your computer only sees a bunch of ones and zeroes, so I guess that's still a massive improvement.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 10:11:07 am »

Dwarf fortress isn't written in binary.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 11:31:30 am »

It is when you run it.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!
Pages: [1] 2 3