Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Quote: "(you'll be able to climb before long)"  (Read 3330 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Quote: "(you'll be able to climb before long)"
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 07:16:32 pm »

He mentioned pathing issues, but IMHO, it sounded more like he was going to be conservative than that he would outright not do it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 08:51:25 pm »

If they chose digging sites predictably based on how few tiles they had to dig through you could make the fortress entrance a ramp leading down into the ground for a few levels before hitting your real entry hall. That would work if they dug only up until the point where they gain foot access to dwarves or tame animals.

I wonder how well they can breach an aquifer, either natural or dwarf-made (by digging out a whole level and flooding it). Would they avoid digging through anything holding back water or magma? Would they do that only when standing above a warm or damp tile, in an attempt to sabotage the fortress?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 05:56:03 am »

You guys forget there will also be digging and deconstruction from enemies, which means they could slam right through your impregnable walls and fuck you up.

Of course that only means you have to send all your dwarves to wipe them off.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 03:49:25 pm »

i personally see the end result being an outdoors fortification that is to slow them down and inflict a few wounds, before you withdraw and draw them into the true killing zone in the heart of your fortress.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 03:56:18 pm »

might also be a specific class, say Miner gobs for digging. they might not show up until a certian point in your forttress growth. That said, all fortifications would be subject to seige stuff. I would not be suprized if Toady came out with Seige gobs that chopped up trees to make catapults.

I think i just crapped myself.
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 04:31:57 pm »

might also be a specific class, say Miner gobs for digging. they might not show up until a certian point in your forttress growth. That said, all fortifications would be subject to seige stuff. I would not be suprized if Toady came out with Seige gobs that chopped up trees to make catapults.

You sir, do not see it as a true dwarf:
a challange! one to be welcomed! for they will swarm over the walls, they will gather in the halls, and then turn and run screaming and burning from the molten lava death trap.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 04:40:31 pm »

You sir, do not see it as a true dwarf:
a challange! one to be welcomed! for they will swarm over the walls, they will gather in the halls, and then turn and run screaming and burning from the molten lava death trap.

Truth.  I will have to re-imerse myself in magmatech and basic flooding.
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!
Pages: 1 [2]