Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Invaders  (Read 2544 times)

bongo0310

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Invaders
« on: October 09, 2012, 09:33:45 pm »

Do invaders and sieges get progressively harder each time one happens? Or is it random? I'm just wondering if the game makes makes sure you fail, or if you can get lucky.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Invaders
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 09:39:24 pm »

The sieges and ambushes increase in size in proportion to your total fort wealth, so unless you start destroying masterworks it will only get worse. Usually your military gets better faster though, if you keep cycling in new recruits while the veterans are in shape to train them.

One caveat though: killing an enemy lord (say the demon-master of the goblins) will have some effects, in older versions animals tamed by the leader stopped being regular mounts for the race, I don't know if the training overhaul changed it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:40:59 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

bongo0310

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:42:18 pm »

Oh ok, thanks for the reply. So how many new recruits do you think I should get ever season, or year? I guess I should say what is a big enough army when you have 200 dwarves or so?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 09:43:52 pm »

The sieges and ambushes increase in size in proportion to your total fort wealth, so unless you start destroying masterworks it will only get worse. Usually your military gets better faster though, if you keep cycling in new recruits while the veterans are in shape to train them.

One caveat though: killing an enemy lord (say the demon-master of the goblins) will have some effects, in older versions animals tamed by the leader stopped being regular mounts for the race, I don't know if the training overhaul changed it.
Still there. I know cause a leader ran off and Now I get no mounts.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 09:59:45 pm »

Oh ok, thanks for the reply. So how many new recruits do you think I should get ever season, or year? I guess I should say what is a big enough army when you have 200 dwarves or so?
Every dwarf with nothing better to do should be trained in the arts of war and death. Every dwarf you can spare should be sent against the green-skinned foes.
Ideally, your walls of flesh, mail, and blades will be supplemented by stoney traps releasing cages and disks to capture and slay more enemies tirelessly, endlessly, as well as more complicated traps which can slay a regiment of goblins and their mounts, and probably any dwarves foolhardy or unlucky enough to get caught in the blast.
Above all, remember three words:
Losing. Is. Fun.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 10:02:29 pm »

On a related note, does anyone know whether your choice of embark location has any effect on the frequency and strength of goblin attackers you will face?  Will embarking near goblin fortresses result in more frequent/powerful goblin attacks?  Same question for embarking near necromancer towers, etc?  Or is it strictly tied to fortress wealth and nothing else?

--nomad_delta

bongo0310

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 10:14:09 pm »

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful! Is there a cap on how many enemies can attack at once? and can you get rid of wealth but selling things? haha

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 10:17:24 pm »

On a related note, does anyone know whether your choice of embark location has any effect on the frequency and strength of goblin attackers you will face?  Will embarking near goblin fortresses result in more frequent/powerful goblin attacks?  Same question for embarking near necromancer towers, etc?  Or is it strictly tied to fortress wealth and nothing else?

--nomad_delta
Yes. The closeness to a goblin civilization will influence how quickly they decide to start raiding you.

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful! Is there a cap on how many enemies can attack at once? and can you get rid of wealth but selling things? haha
Selling it actually increases export wealth, so no go.All you could do I guess is toss it in the magma, but even that depends on whether its "owned wealth" ir "created wealth"

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 10:32:18 pm »

Most I have seen at once is 5 squads of 16 plus 3 half-squads of support monsters (trolls or something like that).  If the goblins are mounted that adds up to almost 200.

The pattern I've seen for sieges is that a civilization's initial siege is often a single squad, often with a mounted leader.   After that it seems to vary; usually 3-5 squads of troops and 1-3 half-squads of support.  If the goblin civilization still has a leader than the troops might be mounted.  Though in the last couple of forts they have almost always been mounted, with forts with an earlier version I did see mixes of cavalry and infantry at times.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

bongo0310

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 10:38:03 pm »

Oh wow that sounds crazy haha Is there a set pattern to when they come? Like every year or so? Or is it random?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 10:57:52 pm »

Oh wow that sounds crazy haha Is there a set pattern to when they come? Like every year or so? Or is it random?
Oh, uh, Seasonally really. Every caravan. Although, they usually save a big one for late-winter.

bongo0310

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 10:59:53 pm »

Really??? how do you survive every season for even one year?? haha

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 11:01:53 pm »

Really??? how do you survive every season for even one year?? haha
Close the gates, and watch them glare at you silently for a month.

Besides, they don't come EVERY season. Its just that when they DO come, they come on that schedule. always late in the season.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 11:29:53 pm »

Close the gates, and watch them glare at you silently for a month.

Or open up the Grinder. Or deploy the FTW. Or refill the drained ocean. Or activate the 20000 upright spikes. It all depends on how you roll.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 11:40:45 pm »

Tend to show up in the last month of every season - a few days before to a few days after the caravan (in the right season).  Might be keyed to trade values or something.  But I've seen years with no sieges, and also years with four every so often. 

If you don't get a siege, odds are something else turns up - forgotten beast, titan, etc. or just snatchers and 1-3 ambush teams.  Plus kobolds now and then if they're in the neighborhood.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart
Pages: [1] 2