Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: The Dynasties of Cairnwood Crossing -Beginning of Turn 4  (Read 14663 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dynasties of Cairnwood Crossing -Beginning of Turn 3
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2012, 05:53:44 pm »

How much pasture do the cattle need?
How much land for chickens?
How much silver would the chickens/cows bring in annually, on average?
I'd like to know this stuff.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2012, 06:26:46 pm »

How much pasture do the cattle need?
How much land for chickens?
How much silver would the chickens/cows bring in annually, on average?
I'd like to know this stuff.

Cattle need 1 vacant farmland per 2 cows. In this society, since machinery is almost unheard of, cattle are the primary source of power for anything from mills,plow pulling, and freight. A full year of work for a pair of cattle is 4 sp and that is strictly by helping out around town in free time. Entrepreneurial types can do a lot more than that.

Chickens require zero land - they live just fine in the overgrown forests or random common areas, etc. They require a coop for each flock, which takes 2 sp to build (built instantly). Typically one flock can can provide a great supply of food, or earn 2 sp a year if sold for meat/etc. A chicken flock can also fill one other coop per year, provided somebody is taking care of them full time.

If you want to build an orchard, you must devote one person for 3 years to begin 1 acre of orchard. This accounts for clearing large amounts of land including existing trees (which is very difficult considering root systems are often massive), acquiring seedlings, and caring for seedlings long enough that the trees are not at risk of dying from winter.After which, a field is self sustaining first yielding profits in roughly 20 years with zero labor cost. Current price of fruit is 4 sp/unit.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dynasties of Cairnwood Crossing -Beginning Turn 1
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2012, 06:36:48 pm »

I mean can you inform me on gender and other notable traits ahead of time, so I can figure out a name before the next update.

As for the other stuff: Good to know. Can you give me an approximate cultural and temporal counterpart for figuring out what kind of industries exist?
Complete list of industries until the next era
These are ordered from most basic parts to most specialized

Weaving > Clothes-making > Shoemaker
Logging or Quarrying > Charcoal or Boardmaking > Carpentry or Masonry > Large Scale Construction (Castles, manors et al)
Pottery > Brick making > Glassblowing > Window making
Ore gathering (Copper, bog iron, tin) > Smelting > Metalworking > Weapon/Armorsmithing
Farming > Milling/Butchering > Baking
Of course, there is always priesthood.

These industries do not currently exist for various reasons :
Medical
Machine Building
Colleges/large scale education

These industries are illegal :
Alchemy/Potionmaking/pharmaceuticals
Brewing
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:42:18 pm by Mullet Master »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2012, 07:25:08 pm »

Thanks a lot, here's my plan.

Spoiler: Turn 3 (click to show/hide)

The only question I can think of right now is to ask if any villagers would be willing to sell their farms and work for me for some price or another. Say, I buy a family's farm at 3 silver/acre, build them a house, feed them, and have them work for me.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2012, 07:32:35 pm »

(( If you guy's don't mind I'm going to focus my efforts around wood related work and growing trees in the long term. ))
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 07:35:02 pm by mesor »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2012, 07:55:33 pm »

Sure, go ahead.
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2012, 08:05:29 pm »

Hey can you get a hereditary bonus to professions in this?

Like say My character is a carpenter then so is his son and his son and his son after a while they have some natural skill for it on top of training?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2012, 08:28:41 pm »

Genetics don't work that way, but a carpenter could probably teach his son for free as he grows up, while working.
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2012, 08:35:42 pm »

You can inherit an aptitude for certain skills genetically.
So in theory if I have the head of my family as a carpenter every generation he's children could inherit an aptitude for that same skill.
Plus it has never be proven one way or another if skills can be passed on genetically or not.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 08:37:15 pm by mesor »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2012, 08:37:24 pm »

You need to have the aptitude, you can't learn it.
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2012, 08:42:37 pm »

That really does not answer my question.
Just wanna know if it's possible in the game or not.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 08:45:56 pm by mesor »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2012, 08:49:36 pm »

Well,
a carpenter could probably teach his son for free as he grows up, while working.
Have your kid watch on as his dad makes chairs and boards, and he'll be able to help by the time he's 10-15.
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2012, 08:52:54 pm »

Not thinking that far ahead yet for now I just wanna know if its possible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2012, 09:00:22 pm »

I want to know what happens in Turn 3. I suspect we will get our answers at about the same time.
Sig

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2012, 06:49:21 am »

You can inherit an aptitude for certain skills genetically.
So in theory if I have the head of my family as a carpenter every generation he's children could inherit an aptitude for that same skill.
Plus it has never be proven one way or another if skills can be passed on genetically or not.

TL:DR - Skills are not inherited, physical attributes are.  Random mutation of genetics is powerful enough to throw this into chaos and the illusion of inherited skill is given by skills being taught between generations and as a result of less fit sons not becoming carpenters.

So no, carpentry ability is not inherited, and yes this has been proved.

P.S.  Sorry for the thread derail.  GENETICIST AWAY!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 09:08:22 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13