Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Interesting undead affect  (Read 3349 times)

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interesting undead affect
« on: October 09, 2012, 02:50:24 pm »

In my current fort I had my first undead siege.  Cleared them out with no problems, but then one of my soldiers went mad.

When I looked at his thoughts, the interesting one was "killed own undead aunt lately".

Grats to Toady One for thinking of things like this    :)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Interesting undead affect
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 03:17:54 pm »

If you look at the thoughts, you can pretty much see that Toady's made a thought for everything. Not implemented all of them mind you, but the ghost of that possibility still exists... And some day we might even see randomly generated thoughts.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 03:25:47 pm »

I wish the relationship screen took in account extended relations- "killed own undead mother-in-law" would be many a dwarf's dream.

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 03:59:02 pm »

I wish the relationship screen took in account extended relations- "killed own undead mother-in-law" would be many a dwarf's dream.
Unless they particularly LIKED their in-laws. Am I the only person in the world who's extended family DOESN'T have in-law problems?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 04:17:24 pm »

I particularily love the "he was haunted by a dead yet still annoying acquitance recently (if a dwarf held a grudge with a ghost)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 07:40:39 pm »

Toady's thought of more everything (per unit time, at least) than the whole NetHack dev team (or any single member, at least). Dwarves living with their guts spilled, anyone?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 08:00:03 pm »

This game is so complicated that no one even fully understands it or what it can do. Heck, toady doesn't even understand parts of it.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 08:25:51 pm »

This game is so complicated that no one even fully understands it or what it can do. Heck, toady doesn't even understand parts of it.

True enough - Dwarf Fortress has emergent properties, so everytime Toady changes something there might be an odd side effect somewhere else. This is often a bug, like "Party Ghosts" or "Undead cat adoption".

Matthmatt1213

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Science!! Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 08:41:05 pm »

True enough - Dwarf Fortress has emergent properties, so everytime Toady changes something there might be an odd side effect somewhere else. This is often a bug, like "Party Ghosts" or "Undead cat adoption".
Don't forget the "Civil War" bug, or the neverending sleep bug. I don't know much about programming, but I know enough to know how hard it is. Heck, the neverending sleep bug was probably caused by just a few lines of coding.
Hmm. Now i've got "mountain goat soap thread" and something like kidney fiber and i've seen roasts made out of leather.
selling elven princess booze to a human shopkeeper will fetch some wild stories.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 09:01:14 pm »

Few lines my ass.  It was probably as simple as missing a summation to a pointer. (i.e. one expression on one line)

A few lines could, potentially, make it a completely different game!

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 12:02:58 am »

Few lines my ass.  It was probably as simple as missing a summation to a pointer. (i.e. one expression on one line)

A few lines could, potentially, make it a completely different game!
... like making you only play as an Elf and forbidding any metalworking?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 12:08:17 am »

Hey, don't forget my favorite thoughts. "Was absolutely outraged at the conviction of a animal recently." "Was outraged by the convection of the dead recently" "Was outraged at the bizarre conviction against all reason of the victim of a crime recently. "
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 01:35:26 am »

I once had a bug where the engraver liked the same thing he disliked, which meant he engraved rats or whatever it was all over the place which gave him bad thoughts.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 04:06:28 am »

"Was outraged by the convection of the dead recently"

Was the ghost on fire? :P
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 04:13:18 am »

"Was outraged by the convection of the dead recently"

Was the ghost on fire? :P
there's a limit to how much a dwarf is willing to make physics their bitch, apparently.
Pages: [1] 2