Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: keep getting this magma-safe material warning..  (Read 841 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
keep getting this magma-safe material warning..
« on: October 09, 2012, 08:32:46 am »

despite having rocks, and nethercaps.

Has there been any significant change in magma-safety? Or...is there a known bug about this?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: keep getting this magma-safe material warning..
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:36:19 am »

Are those items pathable?  Are they at all forbidden, or dumped? 
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 08:58:19 am »

they should be in principle. Diggers are going down all the time to get there. Hell, I'm building elsewhere with schist.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 09:45:17 am »

Confirmed: it's not a pathing problem. For some reason the game is not recognizing ANY item as magma safe

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 10:17:27 am »

Mods?  Duplicated raws maybe?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 10:25:44 am »

Has there been any significant change in magma-safety? Or...is there a known bug about this?
What kind of rocks do you have? Metal bars?

It used to be that you could build magma workshops out of materials that weren't magma-safe, but this was fixed recently.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 04:19:11 pm »

I shouldn't have duplicate raws or mods, in principle. I dont recall installing any at least.

I have.... many different sorts of rocks. Including diorite and schist

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 04:44:35 pm »

Do you have access to them? i.e. if you've carved out a cave for your magma workshops but accidentally removed a key ramp, you wouldn't be able to build the workshops because you can't get the stone from your fort to this location.

(edit whoops: I see you have checked this)

Have you done the silly thing I sometimes do, and have your muscle memory kick in, having you trying to build a forge when you think you're trying to build a magma forge?

Do you have an unused anvil?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 04:46:21 pm by Hurkyl »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 05:20:45 pm »

diorite and schist
Those aren't magma-safe. Check this against what metal and stone you have. Nether-cap itself may hold up in magma, but it's not considered a building material for building that are supposed to be magma-safe or fire-safe.

The wiki currently lists logs as being recognised as magma-safe if the log type itself can withstand magma, but nether-caps don't qualify unmodded. Maybe the wiki is incorrect, or maybe it takes modding to build a furnace out of logs.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 07:33:30 pm »

Probably that the magma-safe checkermajig doesn't look for fixed temperatures.
Either that, or a forge constantly at freezing would cause metal to cool before it could be worked...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 02:43:54 am »

I  have nether-cap as well which aint working. In the past most rocks were good enough to build magma furnaces though. Had this undergone a refit?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 10:47:00 am »

Yes. Now even more materials are magma-safe. You just don't have any of them.

Try to find a mica or orthoclase cluster and get some blocks of that stuff.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.