Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: So they're closing City Of Heroes...  (Read 9326 times)

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: So they're closing City Of Heroes...
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 01:59:22 pm »

Wonder how long it will be until private servers start popping up.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 02:18:47 pm »

I doubt they will pop up anytime soon.
Unless you somehow make off with serverside data making a proper emulator for a MMO can take months or years.

Hell provate WoW servers needed like 5 years to even become close to TBC/Wotlk level of gameplay and Cata wiith all those scripted quests set the challenge even higher.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 02:44:08 pm »

I haven't logged in much since early this year, but CoH/CoV has been the only MMO I've paid to play more than once. I tried Champions, and was disappointed that they had taken the IP and ignored the system. I knew one of the main CoV writers back when we lived in Blacksburg together (before he'd even written Deadlands). I'm sad to see my favorite MMO die.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 03:39:03 pm »

I must be one of the few people who thought the writing was awful, and the game mechanics as well - and I only tried it within the last 6 months, after it had gone free to play, so had lots of time to be refined and so forth.

I found myself so bored through the first 10 levels, with both the writing/plot (aaagh twinshot & co, and the other missions) and with the combat that I ended up writing it off and moving on. Of course, there aren't very many MMOs that I actually turn out to like.

I think the one I've liked the most has to be Star Trek Online, and the only superhero MMO I've actually enjoyed was DC Universe Online, because the plot/writing wasn't boring and combat involved more than just pressing 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 until the enemy died, since you had actual weapons you could use (either in addition to, or in lieu of your powers). Of course, DCUO has this annoyingly small money limit that always drives me nuts and results in me never playing it for more than a few hours at a time, and it uses a ton of hard drive space.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 05:52:08 pm »

I'm going to miss playing the Rough Diver.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 05:53:56 pm »

CoH has been dead for a long time. Too fragmented, and for a long period of time, there was pretty much nobody working on it. Thousands of people online with months between reasonable updates. They drove off their player base, and then tried to add stuff to the game... too little too late.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 02:12:16 am »

So, is this "Rikti Invasion" scheduled for the end of next month gonna kill everyone?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 03:07:09 am »

I played the badass Fire/Energy blaster Shaggy 2 Dope on Virtue server. Like Redking, I too enhanced the knockback of my knockback power, which was Power Thrust. This also was my favorite power. Playing that blaster was like being a moving work of art. First you start put a ways away from the group of enemies and wait for someone else to go in first. Then you firebreath, fireball, move a bit closer, blaze a boss or lieutenant, fireblast the one minion that one of your area attacks miss, then stand next to the boss and bonesmasher him, power thrust to send the boss flying with total focus on queue so it hits them while they are airborne and they stand up dazed. Great fun.

Hey Redking, you ever go into Atlas Park and knock a level 1 across the zone? I used to bombard the low levels with corpses of skulls or hellions minions while they stood at the trainer.

Also /energy secondary blasters can take Boost Range. That plus a range slotted teleport was SO FAST. That blaster was so much fun but I ran out of stuff to do constantly back when I was subscribed. When I came back and it was free to play I had a lot of stuff to do but everyone was way past me and I was soloing a lot to play catch up, and finally at level 50 I wasn't really gaining anything from catching up. I think I played my Dark/Rad defender a bit too but I always enjoyed the blaster more; despite the defender being a godsend for any team I joined.

Also that blaster took SOO LONG to level up way back when because he died so often. I guess that just adds to the charm. At least they allowed a pretty neat self rez/area nuke/area disorient in the fire based 'third' power pool or whatever it was called. The defender was nearly unkillable unless I tried to do things like solo thigns way too high level, but then it became 'plink away for what seems like ages' even at even level enemies.

I came back for a while a year ago or so and had fun, but it would require a purchase in their store to unlock the hamidon enhancements I gained while I was paying a subscription and even more to unlock something related to crafting that I enjoyed way back when. That kind of hurt my desire to keep re-installing it when I restore to backup.

That said I hoped to return someday so I hope NCsoft changes their mind or sells the game and data to a new company willing to have a profitable game on their hands. The idea that it's profitable (going from what I read here) and they are still ending it boggles my mind. A logical explanation is they are planning City of Heroes 2 but why wouldn't they announce it? Even if that were to be the case if it seems if it turns a profit they would continue with CoH 1 up until CoH 2 at least.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 03:19:38 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 03:24:32 am »

The idea that it's profitable (going from what I read here) and they are still ending it boggles my mind.

There are a lot of things that were ended even though it was still technically profitable.

It can be done to free up space, lower short term costs, or to eliminate a competator within yourself (A common one for TV shows. Where a show is too expencive and popular)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 03:52:55 am »

Yeah, I suppose that's true. I'd be interested in seeing whether it's been profitable as of late or if by profitable people mean that over it's whole existence that it's made money.

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 03:54:23 am »

Yeah, I suppose that's true. I'd be interested in seeing whether it's been profitable as of late or if by profitable people mean that over it's whole existence that it's made money.

Well they could be closing City of Heros to get the MMO players out of City of Heros.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 04:12:19 am »

Can someone please link the Penny Arcade comic about this...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 04:31:19 am »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 05:07:17 am »

Well they could be closing City of Heros to get the MMO players out of City of Heros.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense from a business standpoint on one hand; especially if they run Guild Wars 2 which if I remember correctly has a one time purchase type system going on. However they'll probably piss a lot of people off with that type of idea who won't want to go for one of their products. I guess if they hope to hit a certain mark of CoH players moving to Guild Wars 2 (or other game that requires a purchase) that would be a short term gain like you said. That said I'm not sure that's the best way to go about it but maybe that's my disappointment at seeing CoH go down speaking.

I guess I'd have to hope they keep the server side code and data saved then, in the hope they either use it for CoH 2 in 2014 or something or allow private servers. Though if it's as you say that might not be in their scheme of things. It seems to me though with all that data you'd have a headstart on CoH 2, especially if the new one focuses on utilizing new PC tech or development processes (see Planetside 2 or the other beauteous games in development) that the old platform couldn't or didn't handle. Especially if you kept the character data; that would be easy marketing.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 05:24:01 am by Duuvian »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 05:30:10 am »

Given what happened to Champions and DC Universe online... Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath for a City of Heros 2.

Mind you... I was hardly surprised by how well they did.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4