Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: So they're closing City Of Heroes...  (Read 9320 times)

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
Re: So they're closing City Of Heroes...
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2012, 02:48:56 pm »

...Eh, screw it. After what they did with Tabula Rasa, I sorta lost all loyalty to them.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2012, 07:41:11 pm »

One of the former Paragon studio devs said they had begun work on City of Heroes 2, but NCSoft axed the project before it could make much progress.

Also, I'm not sure I buy the argument that they're trying to lead CoH players to their other products since they haven't made any "consolation" offers... one would think if that were their aim, NCSoft would be offering X number of credits in the GW2 store for former CoH subscribers, or a month or two of VIP status in Aion, or something similar to lure them to their other games. That hasn't happened.

On a side note, I've been playing a lot of CoH today (trying to get my stalker to 50) and couldn't help but note the sheer variety of powersets in CoH compared to other MMOs. Taking a quick look at paragonwiki, there's 122 available primary power sets and 118 secondary sets spread out amongst 14 archetypes (counting warshades, peacebringers, widows, and arachnos soldiers as separate archetypes)... not to mention 9 special power pools and 46 epic power pools (counted patron pools as epic pools) and 50 different incarnate powers (mind you, each of those incarnate powers have branching upgrades that change their effects).

Character customization really is CoH's biggest strength, from power tweaking to costume customization... the game is second to none in terms of customization (Champions and DCUO put up a valiant effort on the costume front, but it just they just don't match the number of costume parts CoH has).

Edit: In case anyone is interested, one of the former devs posted an old copy CoH's lore book that adds quite a bit of background to a number of villain groups and gives a glimpse on how they were to develop as the game progressed, though for some groups the devs wound up going in a different direction. Also, a group of former devs went ahead and answered a number of lore questions asked by fans in a forum thread.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BypRfkMsgQOiUXJLUzY4QlhtN2M/edit?pli=1

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19qbHHrRmifxGPz60-_ApLNiwOmF5QVEMrXHgB1Nrd4o/preview?pli=1&sle=true
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 07:49:14 pm by Flying Carcass »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2012, 01:01:02 am »

One thing to consider about CoH 2, is that it wouldn't be comparable to those other superhero MMOs mentioned. That's because CoH orginally was THE superhero game. If they ran the other ones out of business like I remember hearing they did, that would mean CoH 2 could once again be THE superhero game. In addition they'd have a good chance of bringing back CoH 1 playerbase if they release CoH 2 and allow you to keep your old hero from CoH 1 by keeping the account/character data. Maybe they could raise the level limit to 100 from 50; so that these returning level 50's have something to earn along with the new characters.

I guess my question would be: Are there any superhero games currently other than CoH or will this be the last one? Because if the first one was profitable over it's life, I don't see why the second one wouldn't be as well if it has no direct apple to apple competition (rather than apple to orange competition like CoH competing vs WoW). Especially as the economy is slowly recovering despite what seems to me what at least a small or better percentage of the private sectors' leadership's reluctance to make a Democratic president look acceptable if not good as they can count on him not being as 'friendly (meaning tied at the hip) to them as someone who comes directly from the lofty ranks of CEO-dom.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 01:16:44 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2012, 01:10:57 am »

One thing to consider about CoH 2, is that it wouldn't be comparable to those other superhero MMOs mentioned. That's because CoH orginally was THE superhero game. If they ran the other ones out of business like I remember hearing they did, that would mean CoH 2 could once again be THE superhero game. In addition they'd have a good chance of bringing back CoH 1 playerbase if they release CoH 2 and allow you to keep your old hero from CoH 1 by keeping the account/character data. Maybe they could raise the level limit to 100 from 50; so that these returning level 50's have something to earn along with the new characters.
There have been 2 mentioned constantly in this thread, Champions Online and DC Universe Online, and Marvel is also making their own, called Marvel Heroes.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2012, 01:17:11 am »

Ah, I take that back then; I thought those two closed down.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2012, 01:43:25 am »

OMG my favorite MMORPG character I ever made is going to die. I will dearly miss you, Captain Rainbow.

I will miss your massive pink love cannon that you wielded with such panache. With your leather biker cap propped upon your saucy little head, cigar clenched betwixt your mustachioed lips. You held it well -- despite your diminutive size, you managed to fill out your "tighty-whities" villain suit and struck fear into the hearts (and groins) of you foes.

Rest in peace you champion of diversity. Go with your God, and know that ZHe [sic] loves all ZHis children equally (even the gay ones).
I got nothing

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2012, 02:49:54 am »

We've still got till the end of next month, and there's always the petition. Nevertheless, no becoming VIP or buying anything unless the petition works.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2012, 03:33:25 am »

Worth saying, petitions don't work. Doubly true with NCsoft.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2012, 03:42:29 am »

That and REALLY how many of the petitioners actually are going to go out and play the game?

The reason I never went back to City of Heros was because there weren't enough people to play with. The reason I stopped playing was because all my friends were a higher level then me.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2012, 03:56:20 am »

this is a shame, but when I heard about servers being pulled from CoH for other games, I kind of knew they would eventually scrap it for their newer products...
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2012, 04:10:31 am »

Right now, I am THE only person with a char on the French server. But on the other servers, some of the best teams ever are to be had.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2012, 06:42:51 am »

Yeah, I've been getting teams within a minute of logging in on Virtue.

DC Universe Online and Champions Online are both still around and Marvel Heroes is being released soon, but while DCUO and CO are both enjoyable, they're just not at CoH's level in terms of customization and content.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2012, 02:02:00 pm »

I tried a CoH trial back when it was just first starting... even before CoV. It wasn't enough to get me to buy a subscription, but it was fun... I don't have any strong memories of it, but just hearing the stories here, it does make me sad that it's being closed for apparently no reason.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2012, 09:09:23 pm »

This just in: they've opened the Beta server to non-VIP's, so you can basically play whatever powers you want and wear whatever costume.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2012, 12:28:54 am »

4 days left, but I finally got my corruptor to 50, made SG base, smacked down Recluse and beat Who Will Die. So that's most of my CoH bucket list.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4