Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: So they're closing City Of Heroes...  (Read 9323 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
So they're closing City Of Heroes...
« on: October 09, 2012, 12:08:18 am »

Nov 30th

THE END IS NIGH

...for COH
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So they're closing City Of Heroes...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 12:10:41 am »

Ohh City of Heros...

Honestly you were pretty much "THE" best MMO in terms of service to your community.

Unfortunately the MMO community has spoken.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 06:37:15 am »

Darn, it was a good MMO.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 06:39:24 am »

Unfortunately the MMO community has spoken.

Nope, the game was still going strong with an active community and frequent updates; as far as anyone can tell it was making a decent profit so NCSoft's decision to close it was a surprise to both players and devs (heck, they had released a new powerset a week before the announcement and the next big update, I24, was about to be released). It's thought that they liquidated the game to cut short-term costs; NCSoft's been hemorrhaging money since Aion flopped in the west despite their heavy investment in it (of course, now they've announced that they're bringing a generic Korean MMORPG, Blade and Soul, to the west, which I understand flopped in Korea... brilliant...). Of course, there was a massive fan effort to try to save CoH, but it seems NCSoft shot down all attempts by 3rd parties to purchase or license the game/IP.

Slightly off topic, but it makes me wonder about the long term health of Guild Wars 1, and 2 once the initial wave of purchases dies down... after all, NCSoft's been known to axe MMORPGs after only a year or two of existence (Exteel, Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa, and Dungeon Runners come to mind); I hope for Guild War's fans that their series doesn't fall victim to NCSoft's mismanagement. All I know is, I won't be giving NCSoft another dime because I just can't trust them to maintain an MMO over any span of time, even if it's healthy.

Anyway, I've been playing CoH off and on since release and its one of my all time favorite games. The community was the best online community I've encountered, the character customization is second to none, gameplay is great, it has some innovative features (sidekicking, exemplaring, mission architect, and adjustable difficulty come to mind), and compelling story arcs. It's sad to see the game getting shut down.

Here's an old random screenshot, because hey why not.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 06:48:59 am »

Does this mean the same for City of Villain or is that the same game?
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 06:56:34 am »

Hmmm didn't they do the  same with Dungeon Runners a while back?
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 07:09:18 am »

Does this mean the same for City of Villain or is that the same game?

Its the same game; CoV was the first expansion pack and was stand-alone for awhile (until they bundled it with CoH and made it so if you bought either CoH or CoV, you own both). The second expansion was Going Rogue, which reintroduced the (really cool dystopian) Praetoria dimension and the Loyalist and Resistance factions, along with a morality system that allowed for side switching by doing "tips" missions to become a rogue/vigilante and then a hero/villain.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 08:20:19 am »

Yeah, I'll miss Red Threat and White Devil, the two favorite characters I ever made.

Red Threat was a power armor tank built around one basic premise -- indestructibility. And boy howdy, did he have it. Even after successive waves of tank nerfs, he could still take on a crapload of aggro. I think I deleted it, but I had this one awesome screenshot of him surrounded by about 30 5th Column grunts all in melee with him. I had also buffed the hell out of the knockback on his Haymaker, to where he could punch somebody in the city and send them a full city block or more.

White Devil was a fire blaster with super jump. So I just kept Combat Jumping on all the time, and constantly leapt from place to place, flinging fireballs. His one big problem was that I loved AoE damage so much that I'd wind up drawing tons of aggro and then die quickly cause he was squishy. Still, crazy fun to play. I even made a Halloween costume of him one year (white jumpsuit, with small red 'horns', flame-patterened red gloves and boots, and a red trident on the chest).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 08:47:10 am »

I still find the closing of CoH amusing... why would they close something freaking profitable is beyond me.
I didn't play it much but i kinda hope someone somehow picks it up once nexon leaves it for the sharks.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 08:52:21 am »

I still find the closing of CoH amusing... why would they close something freaking profitable is beyond me.
I didn't play it much but i kinda hope someone somehow picks it up once nexon leaves it for the sharks.
I... don't believe it's Nexon?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 09:53:16 am »

Yeah, PlayNC is not Nexon.

Also, I fucking loved Auto Assault, really liked Tabula Rasa and to a lesser extent I enjoyed Dungeon Runners as well. I liked CoH a lot too; I had a sub a while back... as a consolation gift for Auto Assault closing while I had a sub.

So yeah, not too fond of NC. Incidentally I don't like Nexon either but that's another story.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 10:06:46 am »

I... don't believe it's Nexon?

Nexon bought a sizeable chunk of NCSoft stock a few months ago.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 10:30:36 am »

What is funny is that I could make amazing costumes, my sister's character often got a compliment, the costumes I make for my personal characters I wanted to use... tended to be ugly.

I miss city of heros and never went back pretty much due to the "Aging community" issue... but I can't say I never thought of comming back.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 10:32:59 am »

Heh, I played the game for a while. The actual gameplay was pretty dull, but damned if I didn't love the character creation. I spent most of my time in the mission architect thingies just mucking about with making cool-looking NPCs and organizations. Sad to see it going down.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 01:57:08 pm »

Although I will say, I tried going back a few months ago, and it didn't age well. Found that I preferred Champions Online, both graphically and in terms of gameplay.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4