Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mine track Issues  (Read 1119 times)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mine track Issues
« on: October 08, 2012, 06:16:50 pm »

Okay, I have this VERY long mine track.  It starts moving east, before going down, all the way to the magma layer.  Now, I cannot get from the top to the bottom.  It always has that yellow exclamation mark.  It twists and turns, and yet, I have checked EVERY SINGLE square, ramps included.  There doesn't seem to be a break anywhere in the lines. 

I've used "k" and all the lines are two directions.  I checked the dump/stockpile settings, and double checked to make sure all ramps have a wall section on the opposite side of the track. I cant' figure out where the break in the line is.  Is it distance?  are the ramps not supposed to have a South/West track?  Yes, all tracks extend past the ramps. 

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mine track Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 07:02:03 pm »

The may or may not help your particular situation, but I learned something important when experimenting with minecarts:

Stops must be built on top of Tracks.  A Stop built on non-tracked ground isn't a valid place for a minecart to roll to.  When I deconstructed my stops, built tracks underneath them, then rebuilt the stops, suddenly the hauling route worked just fine.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 07:52:39 pm »

Post a save if none of the replies help.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 10:30:33 pm »

Use d>b>h to hide the full size of the tracks. I've found that it sometimes helps if there's stuff on the tracks and at least once where there didn't seem to be anything and it showed I had a problem corner.

Also, order a dry run of the track. That should show the problem if you watch carefully.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 11:45:56 pm »

Use d>b>h to hide the full size of the tracks. I've found that it sometimes helps if there's stuff on the tracks and at least once where there didn't seem to be anything and it showed I had a problem corner.

Also, order a dry run of the track. That should show the problem if you watch carefully.

How do i order a dry run?

In addition, do rocks and clothes prevent a minecart's movement?

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 01:32:35 am »

You DID add a minecart to the hauling route, didn't you?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 07:12:10 am »

If there is no minecart on the route it won't get a yellow exclam due to that. It is track continuity or route direction, most likely continuity if there are two exclams.

Most of the time I get this problem there is no track under the stop.

You can carve track under a stop without deconstructing.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 09:09:55 am »

Dry run is to assign a mine cart, and have the first stop set to guide always, then watch it move down the track. They should stop when it reaches the break.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 07:12:55 pm »

Dry run is to assign a mine cart, and have the first stop set to guide always, then watch it move down the track. They should stop when it reaches the break.

Sorry, i'm here I got a new job. .  So, do I only give it one stop?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 08:10:06 pm »

Sorry, i'm here I got a new job. .  So, do I only give it one stop?
When guiding, you'll need two stops, I think. You don't have to build them (if you guide minecarts), by the way, just designate them on the tracks in the hauling menu.

Another good way to check is to set the second stop designation closer to the beginning and see if the exclamation mark disappears. For example, put a stop designation right next to your starting point; if you still have the exclamation mark there is something wrong with your minecart / direction settings. If not, increase the distance between the two stops, and you'll find the break in the tracks easily.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.