Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how do you reclaim succesfully?  (Read 1297 times)

esran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how do you reclaim succesfully?
« on: October 08, 2012, 04:20:35 pm »

dont tell me not to bother, i already know it isnt worth it. but i still want to try.
that being said, does any one have any suggestions on how to succefully reclaim a fortress sorounded by undead, and possibly a forogtten beast or 2? right now im just repeatedly sending in expidition of only war dogs to try and kill off all the skelotons, but im worried by the time im done the fortress will be filled to the brim with dwarf corpses and ghosts due to failed reclaims.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
Re: how do you reclaim succesfully?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 04:22:16 pm »

Clear all items, then buy copper armor and weapons for 5 dwarves, then give them adequate fighter/ dodger and competant weapon skill. Then embark, seperate into squads and attack. I killed half a necro siege using that embie.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 04:45:40 pm »

I have seen success using those military dwarves, and also make a new mini-fortress off to the side.  That will give you a safe spot to eat and sleep when not out fighting.  I guess this could end up being an off-site graveyard when you end up taking over the main fortress again.  Any migrants who survive could spend all their time making slabs for dead dwarves to stop the ghost problem.

esran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 07:56:28 pm »

ill try that then.

esran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 08:21:13 pm »

my dwarves got ambushed while getting their equipment, and only a few even put up a fight before they were ripped to shreds. any idea how to find this place in adventure mode?

MOK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 08:43:14 pm »

My guess would be to ignore all the supplies everywhere.  Don't collect them.  Instead, hole up in the place you're dropped, and make just enough infra from scratch to support your soldiers' little outpost.   The only way your 7 will fight back the tide is through highly cautious, disciplined, no-risk play.

Or so I would theorize.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 02:09:56 pm »

my dwarves got ambushed while getting their equipment, and only a few even put up a fight before they were ripped to shreds. any idea how to find this place in adventure mode?
Press (R)eclaim in embark mode - but do not embark. Simply note the location and the nearest civilization. If it's not already revealed to you at the start, asking for the surroundings can give you exact co-ordinates.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 04:14:27 pm »

Get on adventurer mode and wipe those assholes off before reclaiming.
Works every time.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

esran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 09:47:49 pm »

actually i tried reclaiming again with a horde of war dogs and all the skelotons but 2 misteriously disapeared. ive pretty much stabalized the fortress, but every 5 seconds i get a red (dwarf name) cancels store in stockpile: stockpile inaccesible. or something like that. its annoying the hell out of me. anyone know how to find the offending stockpile?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 12:13:17 am »

Well you should't claim everything at once, reclaim areas bit by bit if you want anyone to be working. Also those skeletons are probably hiding somewhere, in ambush. F.B.s do this too.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 02:11:47 am »

I usually embark with 2-3 miners and 4-5 weaponwarves. Dodging and weaponskills/mining for everyone and around 2 dwarves with some skill in farming. (Mining skill and picks can be used for combat)

I usually bring copper mailshirts, weapons/picks and helms for everyone and sometimes shields if I can afford it. (Copper hammers are cheap and it is a good material for a hammer, though hammer are  perhaps not optimal for resurrecting biomes. Swords are pretty cheap. Axes are good but cost much)
Also a couple logs of wood for quickly sealing your "hole in the ground" (deconstructing stairs or channeling also works but lets the fliers in.) and perhaps a few seeds and drinks/food but only single type each so there is less barrels/bags to haul. Keep the supplies minimal so you can get holed up asap.

Set them in 2 militia groups. One with the weapondwarves and one with the miners with custom uniform (armor and picks). The weapondwarves can protect the miners and if needed, the miners can fight pretty well. Depanding on the wagon position either dig straight down and seal up or enter the fort via a door and forbid it afterwards.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist