Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Healing Magic Balance [Not a suggestion for types of magic]  (Read 9889 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Healing Magic Balance [Not a suggestion for types of magic]
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2012, 08:15:23 pm »

I hope you all also remember that this isn't a game of balance.

Weapons, skills, and races are not balanced to eachother.

To what extent things need to be balanced is a question. Does ordinary medicine need to be preserved when next to magical alternatives?

The "Balance" should pertain to the enjoyment and playing of the game. Would the ability to recover from fatal injuries kill the game for you? Would it be so useful that you would not be able to play without it? Is it something you earned?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2012, 08:19:09 pm »

If mundane methods of healing were tossed out in favor of easy magical healing, doctors would be the new cheese makers and the game would lose some of its grittiness." Oh, Urist lost an arm? Send him to Cog McCleric, he'll be fighting greenskins in five minutes!"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2012, 09:38:53 pm »

If mundane methods of healing were tossed out in favor of easy magical healing, doctors would be the new cheese makers and the game would lose some of its grittiness." Oh, Urist lost an arm? Send him to Cog McCleric, he'll be fighting greenskins in five minutes!"

It depends on how common magic was.

As well you have to seperate Fortress from Adventure from Wizard mode as well.

Not to mention who says all magicians will also have healing magic sufficient to replace doctors?

As well if he lost an arm... the doctor isn't going to heal him anyway (they are kinda terrible at their job)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2012, 09:42:52 pm »

"If he lost an arm, a doctor isn't going to cure him anyways." Why, hello, point! What, he missed you? How sad.

As to your other points: those count as ways of balancing healing magic against mundane healing in my book. As long as either can be viable and neither is particularly superior, I'm happy.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2012, 10:31:03 pm »

"If he lost an arm, a doctor isn't going to cure him anyways." Why, hello, point! What, he missed you? How sad.

As to your other points: those count as ways of balancing healing magic against mundane healing in my book. As long as either can be viable and neither is particularly superior, I'm happy.

No the point is that even without healing magic... ordinary medicine is useless for the kinds of injuries you are talking about. Meaning it nerfed itself.

In fact medicine still is vital for the injuries you are not going to magic away... Stubbed toes for example.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 10:46:10 pm by Neonivek »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2012, 11:26:37 pm »

No the point is that even without healing magic... ordinary medicine is useless for the kinds of injuries you are talking about. Meaning it nerfed itself.

In fact medicine still is vital for the injuries you are not going to magic away... Stubbed toes for example.
My point was that if magic can heal any injury easily, without consequence, it takes the Fun out of Losing is Fun. And no one wants that.
Sig

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2012, 11:31:03 pm »

Who says this takes away "losing is fun"?

Your soldiers are going to die, they are going to die on the boatload. Even the ones mortally wounded will die even with magic.

This is because this is a deadly game. You arn't healing hp that gets trickled away in battle. You are healing soldiers who survived the vanquished attack who also survive to be healed.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2012, 06:36:14 am »

And you never have soldiers who lose arms or get severed nerves or die of infection? What mod are you playing and where can I find it?
Sig

Candlejack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2012, 03:28:24 pm »

My idea is magic can be used to make nervous system injuries (slowly)heal, reverse necrosis somewhat, remove syndromes, reduce nausea and pain, and hold somebody on the edge of death long enough for a doctor to staple them back together.

Darker magic could be used to zombify non-functioning body parts and "cure" necrosis. Maybe even zombify enemy busted limbs so they strangle themselves to death.

Regenerating lost parts is something I'd put under potion magic.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 03:29:57 pm by Candlejack »

5asdffdsa5

• Bay Watcher
  • that's no space station its a moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2012, 03:31:13 pm »

i like that idea, but could magic also be used to cure venom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2012, 03:31:34 pm »

And you never have soldiers who lose arms or get severed nerves or die of infection? What mod are you playing and where can I find it?

I've never had a soldier who lost his arm survive even with medical attention.

By all means magic doesn't step on medicine's toes at all.

"could magic also be used to cure venom"

If you have the magic to cure venom... sure. Will it work on all venom? who knows.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2012, 07:01:42 pm »

Well, then magic which fixes limb loss would notably reduce DF's lethality if it was cheap/easy.
Sig

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2012, 07:02:56 pm »

Well, then magic which fixes limb loss would notably reduce DF's lethality if it was cheap/easy.

No because magic won't be able to save them with 100% accuracy either because they will die before getting to your magician.

Dwarf Fortress is much too lethal for magical healing to even get close to making it "less lethal"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2012, 07:09:09 pm »

No because magic won't be able to save them with 100% accuracy either because they will die before getting to your magician.

Dwarf Fortress is much too lethal for magical healing to even get close to making it "less lethal"
It depends on the lethal. Missing limbs? Maybe not. Infection? Ayup.
And you're assuming that magicians won't be sent to within magic-range of battle...
Sig

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2012, 07:15:00 pm »

I think the idea of the wizard magic being tied to their deity is a good first step. That way, if the healer tries to heal when GodUrist McCrabby is in a bad mood he might just smite you for not paying well enough. This might need redefinement though. Also, they should need to be at least devout, or maybe a new category "zealous" worshipper of [DEITY]. Perhaps sufficiently advanced magi could still abandon their god and develop their own magic?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11