Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Healing Magic Balance [Not a suggestion for types of magic]  (Read 9876 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Healing Magic Balance [Not a suggestion for types of magic]
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 10:05:44 am »

It could take a long time to cast the spell
It could have a cooldown
It could require some materials like bones for fixing broken bones and such

Making healing spells cause infection seems like a huge penalty to me. If I'm going to use a healing spell, I would use it to cure infections.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 02:49:10 pm »

The balance is against a traditional medical system.

But does it need to be balanced in respect to that? Creatures in this have super fast regeneration, perfect but slow regeneration, or have no need for medicine. Those completely unbalance it on its own.

Heck does Healing have to contradict this? Perhaps you still have to set bones or else it heals wrong.

As well if magic is rare then you would want a field doctor to keep your wounded team mates alive... and the magic healer back at the base protected.

It could just super speed up the regeneration rate of an individual. That would give VERY useful healing ability that cannot be replaced... without making ordinary healing useless... if it is that important.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 03:37:47 pm »

The balance is against a traditional medical system.

But does it need to be balanced in respect to that? Creatures in this have super fast regeneration, perfect but slow regeneration, or have no need for medicine. Those completely unbalance it on its own.
Mind clarifying this bit?

Heck does Healing have to contradict this? Perhaps you still have to set bones or else it heals wrong.

As well if magic is rare then you would want a field doctor to keep your wounded team mates alive... and the magic healer back at the base protected.

It could just super speed up the regeneration rate of an individual. That would give VERY useful healing ability that cannot be replaced... without making ordinary healing useless... if it is that important.
Those are all good ways to not have magic replace current healing methods.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 04:33:42 pm »

I think a good way to limit magic would be a Wizard noble that arrives once you've fought and killed a necromancer of sufficient power. They're a one time deal and make massively ridiculous and highly specific demands and mandates, such as fifty pairs of troll fur socks or a masterwork candy shortsword, all deposited into his personal super valuable storage room.

In order for them to cast a spell, they have to be ecstatic and have no mandates currently active. After casting a spell, their happiness is reduced to near suicidal levels, so unless you keep an eye on them you'll have a tantruming wizard blowing holes in your magma reservoir.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 04:43:51 pm »

Fortress ending micromanagement-requiring wizard who can blow through rocks and walls?  Sign me up plz.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 05:03:06 pm »

I think a good way to limit magic would be a Wizard noble that arrives once you've fought and killed a necromancer of sufficient power. They're a one time deal and make massively ridiculous and highly specific demands and mandates, such as fifty pairs of troll fur socks or a masterwork candy shortsword, all deposited into his personal super valuable storage room.

In order for them to cast a spell, they have to be ecstatic and have no mandates currently active. After casting a spell, their happiness is reduced to near suicidal levels, so unless you keep an eye on them you'll have a tantruming wizard blowing holes in your magma reservoir.
That's absurd. Only one wizard will ever come? They demand absurd items? They only help the fortress that feeds them and gives them absurd stuff, if they're ultra-happy, and of course alive, and they get depressed if they have to lift a magic finger to help? You need to kill another magician to get him to come? Once one comes, and dies, no more ever will come to your fortress? Sounds like an absurd gamey unit, and unless the spells he casts are huge game-changers he's not worth keeping.

Better ideas similar to yours:
Wizards only immigrate if they want to, and only cast spells if they think it's in their best interest. Payment and keeping the fortress that feeds, clothes, and houses them interested in doing so are valid reasons.
Wizards are territorial; if one isn't the other's apprentice, expect magical duels and such if you don't keep them separated.
Wizards will leave if they aren't kept happy enough. Having to cast lots of spells can lead to unhappiness. Another potential consequence is a tantruming wizard.
Wizards will make demands like any noble, which may lead to issues noted above if they feel  they aren't getting the respect they deserve.
Wizards won't immigrate just anywhere; if you haven't done some big deed, and your living conditions aren't first-rate, your best hope is to get a bunch of magical stuff, such as rare herbs or spellbooks of another magician.
Wizards do not have god-like power. Magic is limited to only a few types per wizard and is never costless.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 01:26:11 pm »

Wizards won't immigrate just anywhere; if you haven't done some big deed, and your living conditions aren't first-rate, your best hope is to get a bunch of magical stuff, such as rare herbs or spellbooks of another magician.
On top of this, those with the potential to become a wizard (Other than the varieties of magic learned through Secrets) could be relatively rare, kind of like the new X-Com's psionics.

I like the idea of healing magic only increasing the rate at which things heal - maybe increasing the rate significantly more (and with much less risk of infection or something) if a doctor already cleaned and treated the injury.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 01:33:41 pm »

On top of this, those with the potential to become a wizard (Other than the varieties of magic learned through Secrets) could be relatively rare, kind of like the new X-Com's psionics.

I like the idea of healing magic only increasing the rate at which things heal - maybe increasing the rate significantly more (and with much less risk of infection or something) if a doctor already cleaned and treated the injury.
Both of those sound good, but I'd like it if healing magic could, say, heal lost limbs and severed nerves and such.
Sig

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 02:46:51 pm »

Both of those sound good, but I'd like it if healing magic could, say, heal lost limbs and severed nerves and such.
Yeah, that would be nice too. Probably the more severe injuries should be where you start seeing steep costs and stuff...

Maybe both the healer and healee end up extremely hungry afterwards, and the healee ends up somewhat traumatized (I'm reasonably sure feeling a limb suddenly regrow would be kind of traumatic.), and it requires either special materials, or, if regular magic requires reagents, somewhat more powerful ones.

...As a mildly disturbing thought, what do you suppose screwing up would entail with this kind of thing?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 02:52:00 pm »

If we are talking about the Wizard Entity... then there needs to be no balance for their healing. They are simply a near godlike wizard.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 02:53:03 pm »

Screwing up could maybe transfer the injuries onto the healer.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 03:19:24 pm »

If we are talking about the Wizard Entity... then there needs to be no balance for their healing. They are simply a near godlike wizard.
We aren't. Any kind of expensive, godlike wizard is going to either be a a game breaker or completely useless.
Sig

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 03:52:47 pm »

I admit I haven't read much of Threetoe's work, so I'm not familiar with that, but I think having magic be costly enough to use would be balancing enough.  If it takes a lot of some resource to use healing magic, whether to heal a cut or restore a severed limb or torn lower spinal nerve, then you're likely only going to use it for things that traditional healing can't fix.

That's what I'd prefer to see anyway.  Healing magic can fix the same things that traditional healing can fix, and more (severed limbs or other permanent injuries, maybe even death), but the cost to use it is high enough that you'd only ever bother with things that your other doctors couldn't just fix.  Having healing magic just speed up healing would trivialize other healing methods, unless it was something applied after the fact and only worked if the dwarf had been tended to already.

What the resource to use magic ends up being is the thing that is hard to determine.  If magic ends up getting tied to deities, then it could come in the form of sacrifices, but if it's based on value it's too easy to make a few stacks of *crundle tallow roast* and fix up anything.  That would require a lot of rebalancing on the trading side of things, as well as fleshing out deities.

With the way that necromancers work now, it seems likely that we'll see magic on an individual wizard scale, which is more difficult to balance.  I think I could live with wizards requiring nice rooms and making demands and mandates, but that doesn't feel like enough of a limit.  You need a constant resource requirement, I think, and mandates don't really cover that.  Having individual cooldowns on their healing ability helps, but that may not be enough either, unless they can only heal like once per game month, but that ends up causing situations where the wizard heals Urist McScratched when you want him to heal Urist McBloodFountainTheGushing.  If he can heal permanent injuries and deaths, then it's only delaying the inevitable before everyone is back to full power, so you might as well not make it take so long.

I don't know, I think maybe it's just too early to really guess how this should be done.  There are a lot of systems this could be based on that would benefit a lot from further refinement or fleshing out, such as trade (value) and deities (as a source of the magic).
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 03:54:29 pm »

I don't picture the all powerful wizard entities ever joining your fort.

They are the sort of things you play as (wizard mode) then as something you have in your fortress.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2012, 05:55:25 pm »

Balance, especially in regards to magic is always different.
I have a tendency to ramble, feel free to skip.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As far as healing is concerned, there should be a number of options. Maybe a very simple spell increases regeneration, the injury still needs treatment but recovery times are reduced. A backfired spell might create an infection and complicate the scenario. Then we have more advanced spells that can perhaps mend a bone, heal without surgery, etc. But these spells require high level wizards before they are safe enough to try, cost a lot of mana, and only fix one issue, a broken bone or a gash or brain swelling. And one of these spells backfiring would probably further injure the victim, maybe a failed mending of a broken leg could rip the leg off and create severe gashes on the lower body and other leg. Perhaps we should see backfired high level spells reduce attributes and skills of the victim. These advanced spells would require a team of high level wizards before they could replace a hospital. Plus you would likely need a ton of reagents to keep a steady supply of mana. Although with proper resources, yes a long lived fortress could replace the surgeons. But it would be a waste of resources.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11