Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: In Adventure Mode, NPC Recruits YOU!  (Read 3734 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
In Adventure Mode, NPC Recruits YOU!
« on: October 08, 2012, 08:33:02 am »

It would be cool if Adventure mode NPCs try to initiate interaction with you. This could be for every reason that people initiate interaction in real life:
  • They could be looking for someone to chat with
  • They could be looking for help
  • They want you as companion
  • You fall in the catagory of their romantic preferences
  • They want to sell you something
  • etc

Ideally, the reason they try to approach you is tied to their opinion of you: Your reputation, your looks(how much they adhere to the cultural stereotypes), and what they see you do(probably best to be only counted AS they see you do it).

For example, your adventurer has a pig they just bought. Presumably your adventurer is a little known at the markets. You decide to butcher the pig. The pig is butchered expertly. An NPC sees your adventurer do this. He comes up to your adventurer and asks him to help him butcher his animals for compensation.

Example 2:
Your adventurer just killed a vampire. Now NPCs who can know about the Adventurer's reputation will try to travel to where the adventurer is and ask them for help.
Bonus points that if you go to a town where an NPC who'd been looking for you has been, you'll be told 'Oh, there's people looking for you' or something along those lines. Maybe even a description, like 'Oh, there's an elf looking for you' or 'oh, there's this tall blond man looking for you'

Example 3:
Your adventurer kills his first crocodile in the wilderness. A passing NPC adventurer sees this and requests you travel with him as companion.

I think it would increase the liveliness of the world, and allow people to have adventure come to them then just having to walk the earth killing every bandit leader necromancer were-vampire they can find.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: In Adventure Mode, NPC Recruits YOU!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 08:58:46 am »

It's a pretty cool suggestion, I like it.

I think this would work ever better though, once we have proper villager classes with proper nobility. Being recruited as a palace guard, for example, and being promoted to the kings personal guard upon showing incredible combat ability, and so on. Or protecting trade caravans, even. Or joining a bandit camp and raiding caravans.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 04:51:28 pm »

You fall in the catagory of their romantic preferences
"Hey baby, I heard you kobolds like to "help" us..." - Creepy Merchant

Just kidding, I do like the idea, and the ideas are cool. I just thought the idea of romance funny.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 08:15:59 pm »

The idea is very good. However, when you go to the capital are you going to shoo away 50 starving "master cheese makers" who want your money?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 08:22:51 pm »

I think it's a really nice idea. Of course there are potential problems but what if, for example, it was made so that there was a command to say that you don't=t want to talk to the one person who was trying to talk to you and also one to ignore EVERYONE who is trying to talk to you?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 08:23:32 pm »

The idea is very good. However, when you go to the capital are you going to shoo away 50 starving "master cheese makers" who want your money?
Nonlethal combat IS being added next version...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 05:54:29 am »

Add a command to set your face into a scowl so that only the foolish or brave will approach you asking for cheese assistance. Alternatively you can set you diposition to open and benign if you want to attract solicitious cheese makers. Of course it will depend on your social awareness as to whether you're pulling off the look your aiming for.

The fact that I'm only half joking in the above sentences amuses me, but anyway I do like the ideas in the OP.

dragondorker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 06:02:31 pm »

There's definitely a line to tread as regards not making this an incredibly irritating spam that forces people to stay away from large cities. The above idea was actually fairly good, make yourself accessible or not depending on whether or not you're interested in helping folks out.

Varyag1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 04:38:02 am »

The idea definitely cool, I've thought about it.
Only I think it'll be quite soon :(
But when done, it will be very tanned DF, compared to other games.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 08:19:05 am »

shopkeepers already yell about their wares: "buy your large mail shirts here" etc. Doing that with other requests "hey, would you like to join my party" would work, I think. however, the idea of being recruited by an NPC so that you can travel as their companion seems like it would be difficult to implement.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 05:34:43 pm »

shopkeepers already yell about their wares: "buy your large mail shirts here" etc. Doing that with other requests "hey, would you like to join my party" would work, I think. however, the idea of being recruited by an NPC so that you can travel as their companion seems like it would be difficult to implement.

Perhaps although what if the party system had something added where other characters would occasionally give suggestions, such as (if you're in a very dangerous area) "I don't like this, let's get out of here" or the like, and there's a chance that even without the player's consent they will go do whatever it is, fleeing being only one example.

Varyag1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 12:51:56 am »

Perhaps although what if the party system had something added where other characters would occasionally give suggestions, such as (if you're in a very dangerous area) "I don't like this, let's get out of here" or the like, and there's a chance that even without the player's consent they will go do whatever it is, fleeing being only one example.
Yes, it would be fun :)
To do this, they should still be the - the fighting spirit

I apologize if I'm wrong to put it in English

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 10:56:30 am »

I'd been briefly thinking about it. Maybe party members are given an own goal, or a list of goals, like:
-Don't get killed
-Get your father's copper sword back
-Kill evil bandit leader who killed your father.
The last one could mighty well be a goal hared by all party members. The second one would only come into play when the player adventurer tries to sell that copper sword. Suddenly your party member becomes hostile.
Finally, the first one would be the cause of the party member running away or persuading you to stay away from dangerous places.

The player should be able to get information on these goals from the party member by conversing with them. You could even have goals that are hidden and the party member won't tell them to you for no reason(unless, maybe you are good buddies or something).

Similarly, there's a lot to be done with a conversation system. You could have a list of terms that the player comes across, talking to npcs, which they can then use to interrogate other npcs with. Hell, you can even ask your party members those things, and then they'll tell you they may have been born in that city you are asking about.

And then there's the idea of personalised conversation, where the speech is changed by the personality traits of the person in question. But that's all pipedreams.

As for the cheese maker problem, the disposition seems smart enough of a way to deal with it. Otherwise, you can always attempt disguising yourself as a beggar.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 11:03:55 am »

I still like the uses of the new nonlethal combat system.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.