Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2012  (Read 17867 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2012
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2012, 08:29:09 am »

Eeugh, Day 2 and only 500 words in. Gotta double-time it.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2012, 03:39:21 pm »

I'm ending day 1 at 2,180. That's not bad, right?

1667 is the minimum per day to win, so yes
Shoes...

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2012, 10:27:25 pm »

2,062 more words today for a total of 3,847 so far. Pretty good. Now let's see if I can keep that up going into the weekend. And against my better judgement, there are now three interleaving timelines. Despite having that implode on me before, here we go again! :)

I only have an idea right now and a few scenarios at various points in the story. I'm just putting names on places and characters right now.
Hmm. Now I'm curious how many NaNoWriMos plan ahead and how many just wing it. In my own story, I just met two new characters today that didn't exist until I started their chapter (one of which already died). So perhaps you can guess which way I tend.

Ended Day 1 at 4090 words. I feel rather accomplished. And exhausted. Mostly exhausted. But it's well worth it. Shooting for my personal NaNoWriMo goal of 85,000 words!
Dang. 85,000 within the month or stretching over into December?

Personally, my goal is 50,000 words in November and then continue with the same 1,667 words per day until it's done. Not sure what I'll do if it ends up working better as a sub-50,000 word novella. Maybe just keep writing and cut it down later?

I'm ending day 1 at 2,180. That's not bad, right?

1667 is the minimum per day to win, so yes
Or rather 1,667 is the daily average you'd need if you right every day. If you tend to write more during the week and less (or not at all) on the weekends which would mean a target of 2,272 words per day, M-F. So it looks like you need to step it up after all. :)
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2012, 10:56:33 pm »

Ended Day 1 at 4090 words. I feel rather accomplished. And exhausted. Mostly exhausted. But it's well worth it. Shooting for my personal NaNoWriMo goal of 85,000 words!

I'd like to finish it in November, but at this point that means somewhere between 2800 and 2900 words per day. I don't know if I'll be able to crank that out consistently, but if I don't make that by the end of November, then I'll just continue on into December. This novel is something I'd like to further refine when it's finished and seek publication, even if it's unlikely to ever be published.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my progress! Currently at 5951 words and two chapters under my belt. The 'prologue'-ish first chapters are done, and on to...
PART ONE: Of Armored Devils, and Fallen Angels
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:13:54 pm by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2012, 10:57:14 pm »

Whoo, finished today with 4000 words total, on the money. Off my pace from yesterday, but still ahead of the curve. My characters got their boot situation under control and even made it out of the first room, but unexpectedly, it appears they now have to fight a bear- I don't think they can take it in single combat, so I'm quite interested to see how they get themselves out of this mess.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2012, 12:19:06 am »

I'd like to finish it in November, but at this point that means somewhere between 2800 and 2900 words per day. I don't know if I'll be able to crank that out consistently, but if I don't make that by the end of November, then I'll just continue on into December. This novel is something I'd like to further refine when it's finished and seek publication, even if it's unlikely to ever be published.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my progress! Currently at 5951 words and two chapters under my belt. The 'prologue'-ish first chapters are done, and on to...

Shiny! You could always go the self-published route if you wanted. It's not so hard to put something up on Amazon. Alternatively, you could serialize it on a blog or the like. (I've been doing the latter and hope to add the former if I ever get enough time to buckle down and seriously edit for once.)

Also just by the title alone, I'm intrigued. :)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2012, 12:20:38 am »

Of all the times to get a freaking cold. I've been so busy blowing my nose and taking naps that I haven't put a single word down today. Crapzors.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2012, 10:03:13 am »

Shiny! You could always go the self-published route if you wanted. It's not so hard to put something up on Amazon. Alternatively, you could serialize it on a blog or the like. (I've been doing the latter and hope to add the former if I ever get enough time to buckle down and seriously edit for once.)

Also just by the title alone, I'm intrigued. :)

It's something I'd considered, but I'd prefer to continue refining my work until I'm good enough to be published than to self-publish. I'll look into the suggestion, though. The blog idea is something I've considered for other ideas; kind of like a series of short stories revolving around the same cast of characters and/or setting. I'd be interested in reading your blog!

If you're interested in reading and have the time to spare, drop me a PM.  :D I'm hosting chapters on Google Drive for linking to my NaNo on a different message board, so I could just as easily give you the links as well. Despite the way the name of Part One sounds it's Science Fiction, not Fantasy. Just, for the record.  :P
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:12:23 am by inEQUALITY »

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2012, 10:54:02 am »

I just started today and I now have 400 words, but I'm going to write more in the evening. (Gotta pick up the pace.)

Also the word count on Finnish text is way lower than in English one, because there are no preposition in Finnish. For test purposes I Google translated my text (it gives a rough idea) and it would be 500 words in English. So the whole 50 000 word text in Finnish would be roughly 62 500 words in English. [/smallish rant]

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2012, 11:31:54 am »

When I get home from work, I'll start my first arc; "I can't belive I'm a Hero!?"

It's mostly a slice of life thing of a regular guy summoned to a fantasy world as one of the possible saviors of the world.

teknoarcanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Check out this blag
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2012, 12:33:25 pm »

Howdy all!  Doing nano this year.  I've done it before, even won once or twice, but this is the first time where I'm writing for nano with the intent to later publish (just published a book, actually.)  Finished Friday at 6400.  Might even take the weekend off :P

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/da-head-dwarf

Buddy me or whatever.
I wrote a book about dwarfs!  You should check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Sounding-ebook/dp/B009XIRKEO

Fifty cents of every sale go to the Chelsea Hutchison Foundation, a non-profit organization which helps families affected by epilepsy.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2012, 12:40:36 pm »

It's something I'd considered, but I'd prefer to continue refining my work until I'm good enough to be published than to self-publish. I'll look into the suggestion, though.
I think that there's a pervasive idea in society that self-published authors are ones that weren't good enough to go the traditional route and thus are somehow worth less. But when you look at some of the utter crap that gets published nowadays, I just can't believe that. It's even worse in genres like scifi/fantasy. Granted, there's also quite a lot of crap in the self-published market, but so it goes. (And no, I'm not trying to imply that this was what you were saying, just that that's the feel I get most times people talk about self-publishing. :-\)

The blog idea is something I've considered for other ideas; kind of like a series of short stories revolving around the same cast of characters and/or setting. I'd be interested in reading your blog!
That sounds neat! I've thought about the same, but I have a hard time writing short stories. I think it's that I tend not to plan where I'm going until I'm at least a half dozen or so chapters in which doesn't really work so well in a short story.

So far as my own blog, there are links in the forum signature. I'm serializing a novel I've already finished on Tuesdays and Fridays (it's on Chapter 20 out of 24 right now) and posting my NaNo progress each day. It's... interesting.

If you're interested in reading and have the time to spare, drop me a PM.  :D I'm hosting chapters on Google Drive for linking to my NaNo on a different message board, so I could just as easily give you the links as well. Despite the way the name of Part One sounds it's Science Fiction, not Fantasy. Just, for the record.  :P
I think I'm even more intrigued now. :) I like a lot more Science Fiction, less so traditional Fantasy (although I'm a fan of Modern / Urban Fantasy). I'll PM you my Google handle shortly.

Also the word count on Finnish text is way lower than in English one, because there are no preposition in Finnish. For test purposes I Google translated my text (it gives a rough idea) and it would be 500 words in English. So the whole 50 000 word text in Finnish would be roughly 62 500 words in English. [/smallish rant]
Interesting. I hadn't thought about that. I wonder how some Asian languages would be counted? Things like Japanese where most words are 1-3 characters and they're in general not space separated.

If it really bothered you, you could always Google Translate before submitting the word count to NaNo (if you're even doing that). It's all on the honor system anyways. :)

Howdy all!  Doing nano this year.  I've done it before, even won once or twice, but this is the first time where I'm writing for nano with the intent to later publish (just published a book, actually.)  Finished Friday at 6400.  Might even take the weekend off :P

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/da-head-dwarf
Did you go through the Kindle Direct Publishing? How has that been?

Also, how much do you get from Prime Lending? I've got Prime, so it doesn't do me any harm to at least take a look at it. Particularly if it throws a few dollars your way.

teknoarcanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Check out this blag
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2012, 01:02:11 pm »

(snip)
Did you go through the Kindle Direct Publishing? How has that been?

Also, how much do you get from Prime Lending? I've got Prime, so it doesn't do me any harm to at least take a look at it. Particularly if it throws a few dollars your way.

It's been good!  The hardest part was formatting the e-book.  If you want it to look a certain way (rather than just converting it from a word document and letting the formatting do whatever it likes) it's kind of an involved process.  There's some good software out there for it though -- Alkinea if you use OpenOffice, Sigil for formatting the ebook, and Amazon's own Kindle Previewer for seeing how the book will look on the devices.

It's been good so far.  Book just came out a week ago, so I've only sold about 20 copies, and most of those to friends and family, but that was about all I expected for the first week on a debut book on an unknown/self-published author.  Got no visibility yet.

In answer to your question, I do get money for Prime borrows.  I forget how much exactly; I know it's not a flat fee though, there's some kind of formula.  I think it has to do with how many times my book is borrowed, out of the total number of borrows in the Prime library, or something like that.  But yeah, go for it :D  I won't post the link here, for fear of an ad-ban, but you can find the link on my nanowrimo page.

http://nanowrimo.org/en/participants/da-head-dwarf

It's something I'd considered, but I'd prefer to continue refining my work until I'm good enough to be published than to self-publish. I'll look into the suggestion, though.
I think that there's a pervasive idea in society that self-published authors are ones that weren't good enough to go the traditional route and thus are somehow worth less. But when you look at some of the utter crap that gets published nowadays, I just can't believe that. It's even worse in genres like scifi/fantasy. Granted, there's also quite a lot of crap in the self-published market, but so it goes. (And no, I'm not trying to imply that this was what you were saying, just that that's the feel I get most times people talk about self-publishing. :-\)

There's a lot of great stuff being self-published today.  It's not like it was a few years ago; Kindles and other e-book readers have kind of leveled the playing field, and turned publishing on its head.  And it's hard to claim publishing is a bastion of quality, when shit like Twilight, Hunger Games, and 50 Shades tops the charts.  Or is published at all.

In fact, a lot of self-published authors will build success on their own, and then publishers come courting THEM.

You should check out "Wool" by Hugh Howey.  If you have any preconceptions that self-published fiction isn't up to the same caliber as traditionally published stuff, that will dash them utterly and completely.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:21:09 pm by teknoarcanist »
I wrote a book about dwarfs!  You should check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Sounding-ebook/dp/B009XIRKEO

Fifty cents of every sale go to the Chelsea Hutchison Foundation, a non-profit organization which helps families affected by epilepsy.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2012, 01:37:11 pm »

Christopher Paolini is first on my list of reasons why the self-publishing market has such a bad rep, even if his parents publishing it for him isn't quite the same thing and it was a long time ago that Eragon saw publication. I agree that there is absolute rubbish on the standard market, but that's because it sells. There's a few publishers I respect highly enough that publish novels of at least "above adequate" calibre, that if I can't be published by then I have no doubt that I need improvement. I'm sure that self-publishing =/= poor quality, but I'm very weary of most self-published fiction. I'd rather not fall into it. I'm tempted to read into it more, however. It just seems more work and attracts more stigma than it's worth.

That sounds neat! I've thought about the same, but I have a hard time writing short stories. I think it's that I tend not to plan where I'm going until I'm at least a half dozen or so chapters in which doesn't really work so well in a short story.

I've never been able to finish long fiction before, only short stories, so NaNoWriMo is a huge first for me assuming I finish. I know what you mean about planning, however. The same method can work with a 'short story serial' though, I imagine, if they're very tightly interconnected.

So far as my own blog, there are links in the forum signature. I'm serializing a novel I've already finished on Tuesdays and Fridays (it's on Chapter 20 out of 24 right now) and posting my NaNo progress each day. It's... interesting.

I'll check it out!

I think I'm even more intrigued now. :) I like a lot more Science Fiction, less so traditional Fantasy (although I'm a fan of Modern / Urban Fantasy). I'll PM you my Google handle shortly.

I have privacy set up so that anyone with the link can read it. If you want, I'll send you the links. No need for you to bother with your Google handle.  :)

EDIT: I did a little reading about Amazon self-publishing. It seems like it would take more work on my end, for less profit, but without rejection by a publisher getting in the way. So long as the contract allows me to retain all rights to my material, including the ability to cancel the availability through them at any time, I'm sold. My only issue is that even though I can end the publishing through them, I have a feeling most major publishers won't publish a book that's already been published in any other form, so if I go through a major publisher later, it would be with new material. At any rate, this is getting ahead of myself; I need to finish the novel first.  :P
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:45:32 pm by inEQUALITY »

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2012, 01:57:51 pm »

It's been good!  The hardest part was formatting the e-book.  If you want it to look a certain way (rather than just converting it from a word document and letting the formatting do whatever it likes) it's kind of an involved process.  There's some good software out there for it though -- Alkinea if you use OpenOffice, Sigil for formatting the ebook, and Amazon's own Kindle Previewer for seeing how the book will look on the devices.
Interesting. I've been writing my content using Markdown, since I don't really have that much in the way of formatting needs. I used to use Sigil, but since I write on a bunch of different devices and sync my content over Dropbox, it's easier just to use a plaintext format. Still, knowing about the Kindle Previewer is helpful.

In answer to your question, I do get money for Prime borrows.  I forget how much exactly; I know it's not a flat fee though, there's some kind of formula.  I think it has to do with how many times my book is borrowed, out of the total number of borrows in the Prime library, or something like that.  But yeah, go for it :D  I won't post the link here, for fear of an ad-ban, but you can find the link on my nanowrimo page.
That's how I already tracked it down (and thus why I asked about the Kindle Direct thing). Personally though, I don't think most people would mind a single link, seeing as this is a thread for novel writing and the one on Amazon is in the same world as the one you're writing now (if I read that correctly). Plus, I don't think that Toady One has ever banned an actual person for link spamming (just ad bots with no other content), so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Or heck, put it in your forum signature. :)

EDIT: I did a little reading about Amazon self-publishing. It seems like it would take more work on my end, for less profit, but without rejection by a publisher getting in the way. So long as the contract allows me to retain all rights to my material, including the ability to cancel the availability through them at any time, I'm sold. My only issue is that even though I can end the publishing through them, I have a feeling most major publishers won't publish a book that's already been published in any other form, so if I go through a major publisher later, it would be with new material. At any rate, this is getting ahead of myself; I need to finish the novel first.  :P
I haven't looked through all that it entails, although I didn't think that it was too terrible if you already had your book in an easy to convert to ebook format.

And so far as the profit, is it really less? From the research I've done, publishing through a traditional market will get you 10-20% royalties. On Amazon, you'll get 70%. Granted, you don't get an advance which could be painful. Still, most royalties are in the sub $10,000 range, so if you really do think that your book could do well, I think I'd personally rather go for a higher percentage over time.

And I don't know about removing it from Amazon, but one advantage that they have is that you keep the full license. So you can sell it on the other eBook sellers as well, such as iBooks / Google Books.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15