Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2012  (Read 17862 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2012
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2012, 04:12:36 am »

Combine them. Do it. :D

Well, at first I was considering it. I was just gonna include the idea into the first story, as a recurring villain or something.
But then it outgrew that plan. The first idea is light-hearted and surreal, the latter is dark, grim and rather violent. :-\
Must choose one or another. Maybe my comrades-in-writing can help me out tomorrow, at my first regional write-in! That is, if I manage to find my way there, hehe.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2012, 07:53:32 am »

It's a shame that I hadn't heard about this back in high school, I would have churned out a steaming pile of crap in three weeks and had a sense of accomplishment about it.

Do this now kids, before you start having night sweats in college due to there being too few hours in the day and too many things to do during them.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2012, 09:57:28 am »

I have no idea what I'm going to write.  The hurricane story doesn't seem as funny now that Sandy turned out to actually be really bad, and I've had a couple false starts make me realize I didn't actually have anything except character names and one scene where they try to go looting (Remember the city's still running fine, they're the only ones who think it's the end of the world) and get in a shootout with mall cops.
Shoes...

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2012, 12:50:08 pm »

Even as the event bears down I'm at a loss for what to write. I've been considering an idea of a mercenary with a head too big for his shoulders, and a local farmboy with a tongue too sharp for his own good going on a long quest to get a strange book that seems to erase people out of existence translated. It'd basically be a comedy.

Either that or something closer to an expanded bedtime sort of story about a young wizard in a magical academy accidentally creating a creature that sucks all the magic out of a wizard through their dreams. This creature was created at midnight. So, chaos naturally ensues on a madcap chase through surreal, magically-infused dreamlands.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2012, 01:56:32 pm »

I think I'm going to write (in Finnish) about a trashy horror writer, who previously has drawn his inspiration from almost daily nightmares that he has seen since his childhood. Unfortunately for him the nightmares have ended couple months back, and awake he is almost completely lacking imagination, which means his writing - and thus his only income - are on hold for the time being.

I'm going to have to write a short story for school anyway so I'll write it about the same subject and use it as a basis for the novel.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2012, 08:41:38 pm »

I guess I'll take a second shot at it, after petering of last year (damn you, senior year of high school). If anyone wants to add me as a writing buddy on the website, my username there is HiddenTruth.

Now, to decide what to write... I have a little less than two and a half hours until it begins here.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2012, 08:51:39 pm »

I'm thinking about stealing Aqizzar's old idea about The Stranger.  Everytown, USA a few years after vampires are outed as real and given legal recognition, blood banks and all that.  They're all sparklepires, there's still a lot of fear and misunderstanding, but things are slowly improving.

Then from the Old Country comes a bona fide thousand year old Strigoi out to make people remember what the undead are all about, and the tenuous friendship between human and vampire is blown wide open.
Shoes...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2012, 12:55:59 am »

So who else is waiting impatiently for November 1st to arrive? I don't want to cheat and start early, so I'm just tossing ideas around in my head. Settings, characters, concepts, possible jokes.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2012, 12:57:37 am »

Been going for an hour now, for me.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2012, 12:58:28 am »

Lucky sonofagun. It's still an hour away if I want to get started as soon as possible :P

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2012, 12:59:37 am »

Just say you live in austrailia if they ask :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2012, 01:01:26 am »

Can't. I want to possibly try a meet-up, and it'd raise a lot of questions if an Australian suddenly started posting in an American city :P
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 01:17:23 am by Sirus »

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2012, 04:26:38 am »

Wasn't going to do this, but then got a really interesting idea.

Novel is written in something like 30 chapters.

First chapter is from the perspective of an earthworm, which goes around doing earthwormy things and eventually gets eaten by a centipede.

Next chapter is from the perspective of the centipede, which goes around doing centipedey things and eventually gets eaten by a crow. And so on.

Make sure while writing to give the animals appropriate senses and behaviors, so don't talk about the earthworm looking around at the bright blue sky. And only animals which have been shown to have a sense of self (either by the mirror test or through social interaction) get pronouns.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2012, 09:28:58 am »

And so it begins!

I'm going to be posting my progress on my blog each day, so if any one wants to follow along you can see it here:
- First update
- RSS feed

Spoiler: Excerpt (click to show/hide)

If anyone else wants to post the same, I'll at least try to follow along. I can't promise much in the way of feedback as my PhD quals are rapidly approaching, but I'll at least read it! Heck, NaNoWriMo itself is probably not the best idea, but whoever let something like that stop them. :)
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2012, 02:03:35 pm »

Haven't really gotten anything truly excerpt-worthy yet, and still fleshing things out :P

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15