Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Training Dummies ( Or the like )  (Read 1440 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Training Dummies ( Or the like )
« on: October 08, 2012, 05:44:08 am »

So yeah, in say, adventure mode fortresses, your adventurer could go there and train whatever weapon skill you want by hitting a training dummy ( that could also be in use by the fort's soldiers ) over and over again.  So, if you have a swordsman and want to train your axe skill, you can just hit a dummy until you reach the desired level.

The experience gained from hitting these things should probably be extremely minuscule, so that it would take maybe IRL days to get to legendary from nothing. 

Just an idea, probably one that's already been discussed, maybe even planned. 

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training Dummies ( Or the like )
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 05:55:55 am »

still a bit cheap way to grind skills, isn't it?  And it's imho, pretty illegitimate - one just can't become a great warrior from repeatedly tapping a scarecrow, even for one's entire life.
I think there's no point introducing new easy grinding ways until the whole skill training system is somewhat more interesting and resistant to illegitimate grinding.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 07:56:03 am »

Alright, so we simply make it so that the skill you can gain from a training dummy is JUST enough to prepare you for live combat.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 11:45:47 am »

Alright, so we simply make it so that the skill you can gain from a training dummy is JUST enough to prepare you for live combat.

Yeah, like up to novice or adequate, so at least you can hit normal and easy body targets. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 09:18:56 pm »

I've used dummies (fancy Japanesse Ones, too!) and I would rather see it as a trainers tool rather then just something you can use. Maybe a champion or instructor or whatever could give larger demonstrations with dummies, or have recruits spar with them during the demonstration. There is only so much you can learn from the dummy alone.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 01:38:18 am »

I've used dummies (fancy Japanesse Ones, too!) and I would rather see it as a trainers tool rather then just something you can use. Maybe a champion or instructor or whatever could give larger demonstrations with dummies, or have recruits spar with them during the demonstration. There is only so much you can learn from the dummy alone.
yeah this i like much much better.
especially when rooms and available jobs are managed via activity zones and buildings present in them, then weapon demonstrations and drills would be more effective if performed on a dummy rather than without one.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 10:09:24 am »

Maybe we could pay for the training? We need some ways to spend all the money we get from killing baddies anyway.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 10:50:08 am »

still a bit cheap way to grind skills, isn't it?  And it's imho, pretty illegitimate - one just can't become a great warrior from repeatedly tapping a scarecrow, even for one's entire life.
I think there's no point introducing new easy grinding ways until the whole skill training system is somewhat more interesting and resistant to illegitimate grinding.

While you can not become black belt from hitting dummy, it has definitelly big benefits and would be rather improvement to have dummies for training instead of current exploits (custom workshop or danger room).

Using dummies for basic training is great thing.

Especially if they are designed to use used that way by dev and as such have limits (i.e. max competent skill level).

I wwould add:

Basic dummy (leather armor + log) - trains figher and weapon skill.
Rotating dummy (leather armor + log + shield + chain + spiked ball) - also trains dodge skill and shield skill at cost of risking injury.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 03:43:40 pm »

Definitely something welcome, though of course with a limit on exactly how high you can go from training on dummies.
Because of course, while they won't teach you how to truly fight, I would imagine they would at the very least teach you how to actually operate a weapon.

I very much doubt hitting something with a sword repeatedly is very easy if you haven't hit something with a sword repeatedly five thousand times already.
And mutilating a dummy would at least improve your accuracy and make you more "knowledgeable" with the weapon in question. If simply because you've gotten used to operating it.

oh_no

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 05:58:23 pm »

Good point. Considering the nuance that went into choosing weaponry, we shouldn't have this one size fits all approach when it comes to choosing a weapon within a particular type.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur