Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I have been diagnosed schizophremia.  (Read 2131 times)

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
I have been diagnosed schizophremia.
« on: October 08, 2012, 05:09:37 am »

Help.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have been diagnosed schizophremia.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 05:12:28 am »

If you've been diagnosed, isn't it a professional's job to help you?

If it's moral support you need, well, I can help with that. You should know my grandmother had schizophrenia. That doesn't make me an expert or anything, but... I kindof understand, I guess.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 05:16:48 am »

The only help she wants to give me is cramming a pill down my throat and getting me on the police watchlist.
No thanks you.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 05:54:17 am »

Try thinking of all the arguably worse things you could have been diagnosed with, so that schizophrenia doesn't seem all that bad by comparison?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 06:00:13 am »

Redacted
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:03:18 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 06:58:55 am »

That's sad man. I don't know much about schizophrenia, but one person close to me has it, and even if he have to take meds and all every morning, he still have a normal life, he doesn't live in a hospital, he have friends, a girlfriend, and is studying linguistics.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 09:57:51 am »

My dad takes 30 pills every day because of his heart transplant. To paraphrase him, it's a small price to pay in order to stay out of the hospital or the grave. If that pill your doctor wants to give you can actually help you, I'd jump on that. Sometimes medicine is actually helpful.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 10:26:06 am »

My mom's schizophrenic, so I know it isn't all that bad. She just has to take a pill once a day. It's better for her to take a pill a day then to live in a hospital and lose me and my brother. I'd say you should just have the pills.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 11:51:37 am »

We're here for you, bro.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 12:13:43 pm »

I love you guys.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 12:15:31 pm »

We wuv you too.

Though seriously, take your medication :X It's intended to do the opposite of harm you.

If you had a broken leg, would you refuse a crutch?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 12:27:22 pm »

Wait a moment what kind of Schizophrenia are we talking here, if that question is allowed.

The 2-Different Personalities, Voices in the Head, Multiple Personal Disorder-thing (which commonly is referred to as Schizophrenia)

or

the real Schizophrenia ( Paranoia and...thats actually all i remember...)

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 02:58:08 pm »

For what it's worth, medication seems a reasonable approach as professionals see the causes more in neurobiology than psychology.
This is both good and bad: there's no mental knot a professional can untangle to turn you into a certified normal boring individual. However, this also means there's less need for picking your brain in an intrusive and drama-prone fashion.

You probably want some medication (to be checked whether benefits are worth the side effects... professionals can go overboard because what's easiest to justify covering their behinds may not be what's in your best interests) and getting you up to speed on (personalised) coping strategies.
Any reason anyone wants to get you on any police watch list? The association of Schizophrenia with violence is mostly a superstition perpetuated by the media, if you control for other high-risk groups (e.g. heavy drug abuse).

Not knowing details...
1) This is serious.
2) Professional help is advisable. Often, it even works.
3) Some things are going to suck.
4) You want to be taken seriously and trusted. If possible, voice concerns without being hostile.

The best of luck.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:04:06 pm by Alastar »

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 02:59:31 pm »

Accidentally quoted instead of modified, sorry for this.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:02:27 pm by Alastar »

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 03:06:27 pm »

'Multiple personality disorder' is not actually considered a real condition. Evidence for it is mostly anecdotal, at best. Dissociative disorders (particularly dissociative amnesia combined with dissociative personality disorder) are closest, but still not even close to what popular culture portrays.
Help.
My sympathies.

What I would do is take a step back from your every-day and consider what this means for you, realistically. Writing it out helps - if you have realistic consequences penned out to compare against your goals and lifestyle, you have a realistic hope (which is otherwise a misnomer) of finding workarounds to live however you like. Come back to this often. Erase, edit, and delete as you please, whenever it comes to you. If you're the journaling type, that helps, but this is a list, and everyone loves lists.

You should be willing to try what your professionals suggest earnestly, but also willing to evaluate how they affect you honestly, which can be very difficult when other problems are present in your life. Listen to feedback about how you're perceiving things - schizophrenia has a very powerful effect on that, and trusting your perception (particularly of people) is dangerous.

Consider - it's really unlikely your psychiatrist/psychologist is trying to hurt you in any way, and there is a well-trodden path if you want to take it. You are not alone. You can still be successful, it will be difficult, but going it alone is going to be much, much harder. There's volumes of literature, both first-hand and otherwise, on and around all kinds of schizophrenia - I'm sure she can suggest some for you. If there's a support group around, go to it - you don't have to talk, and you can explain that you're there because you're uncertain what it means for you to have it, which is probably true.

Most of all, good luck. I don't know you well, but I think everyone deserves to have a chance to find peace with themselves.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044
Pages: [1] 2