Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Dishonored :(  (Read 28707 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dishonored :(
« Reply #120 on: October 15, 2012, 12:06:01 pm »

So, lots of spoilers here, read at your own risk.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 15, 2012, 12:21:15 pm »

The game itself was pretty fun. I'm not sure if I like the way that it gives you all these various tools and methods of murder, but then heavily encourages you not to use them. On one hand I kinda like when games do that, and encourage you to intentionally limit yourself... On the other hand I felt like a lot of the upgrades and things I had were completely gone to waste. I'd pretty much stopped upgrading anything by the time I was on the bridge I think, because it was all pistol upgrades, or grenade capacity, or other things I didn't use because my primary method of interaction was holding CTRL to choke hold dudes. Some non-lethal upgrades would've been great. Sleep-bolt carry capacity was one that stands out. Some sort of smoke-bomb, or flash bang, or knockout gas, etc also would've been nice.

Also the whole self-limiting thing was kinda ruined by the fact that the game straight up tells you "don't kill people if you want the good ending!" I would've preferred it to be left ambiguous, rather than plainly laid out there. It kind of hangs over your head the whole game that you shouldn't be murdering anyone because you wont get a good ending. A much better way to do it would've been to portray the rank and file guardsmen and overseers and the like as just regular guys doing a job (which it kind of did, but the effect was ruined by the word-of-god "dont murder them" order). Encourage me through gameplay to act a certain way, don't just straight out tell me in a loading screen.

The plot was pretty ho-hum. Though it does get points for tackling some pretty dark themes and not beingway over the top about them. Most of this was contained solely within the books and notes you find, but it helped make the world a bit more engaging, and some of the stuff especially made that girl who's name I can't remember plight a bit more urgent. I also like the way the whole Corvo/Empress/girl-with-the-name relationship was done. Lots of implication, but it never felt the need to straight up say one way or the other. Some of your targets rationale for why they did the things they did were pretty well done too for a video game.

The setting was good, if a little over-developed. I imagine a possible sequel is the reason why so much time was spent on things that have absolutely no role in the game whatsoever (whales, I'm looking at you)

The basic mechanics of the game though, are kinda mediocre. Especially for a stealth game. So many times during the game I was expecting to be able to do something, only to find out that it's impossible. In later levels there are heavy curtains all over the place, perfect for hiding in or stashing bodies, only you can't interact with them to close them. There's constant spotlights over areas you need to move through with no way to turn them off or destroy them. Everything the game does right is overshadowed by the terrible terrible AI, always hard to get right in a stealth game, but it's like they didn't even try. It's absolutely no fun sneaking along rafters and dropping down to grab enemies and drag them into the shadows only to realise their friend was about 5 feet away, looking right at you the whole time, but too stupid to do anything. By the end of the game I was so familiar with the shortcomings of the AI that getting no-kill no-detection was trifling.

So, lots of spoilers here, read at your own risk.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2012, 12:24:03 pm »

The :( is being fitting. So many spoilers...
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 15, 2012, 12:25:11 pm »

I am also underwhelmed by the game. It has so much potential but I feel that it is dated in graphics and mechanics. I feel like the stealth and open-area aspects have not grown beyond Hitman-Blood money which gives me some mild hope for the new Hitman incarnation. This was not the game I was waiting for or expecting considering the glowing reviews. It also wasn't bad and is a solid purchase if you can get if for $45 or so, even better if you wait for XMAS as is will be on sale.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2012, 12:48:18 pm »

I'd say just rent it. You can easily beat it in a weekend, and there's not a huge amount of replayability.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2012, 01:05:27 pm »

I enjoy the idea of a victorian society built upon the pseudo-mystical properties of oil from cthulhu-esque mutant whales.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2012, 01:12:22 pm »

What I've played so far (I'm recording it,check out my sig) seems of excellent quality, which I'd prefer over MANSHOOT WARFACE THE DEADENING any day. Plus there's always DLC...
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2012, 01:13:06 pm »

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2012, 01:20:26 pm »

What I've played so far (I'm recording it,check out my sig) seems of excellent quality, which I'd prefer over MANSHOOT WARFACE THE DEADENING any day. Plus there's always DLC...

I think we can all agree that anything is better than fictional strawman game "MANSHOOT WARFACE THE DEADENING". But this absolutely pales in comparison to "REALISTIC AI: COMPELLING PLOT AND REWARDING CHOICES 9000".
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 01:22:18 pm by fenrif »

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2012, 01:23:23 pm »

Spoiler: Major spoilers (click to show/hide)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2012, 01:25:42 pm »

spoilers, spoilers everywhere.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2012, 01:28:13 pm »

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2012, 01:28:27 pm »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2012, 01:35:02 pm »

Well yeah, because that's the 'bad' ending =P

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2012, 02:01:47 pm »

Spoiler: Major spoilers (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13