Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Dishonored :(  (Read 28732 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: Dishonored :(
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2012, 05:07:52 pm »

I know nothing of Dishono(u)red, but I got to ask. Does this game feel like a Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, but with guns and steampunk? Because I found that I couldn't replay that game more than once and since this game was made by the same team ... I don't know. This game just doesn't thrill me, while XCOM has me shivering like a junkie without having even played the game yet.

I can't really remember Dark Messiah that much, so I can't speak to that comparison. There is a certain amount of replayability in this though. And it looks like it's setting itself up for multiple endings. You can also approach each individual mission a number of ways, sneaking around and avoiding all contact, murdering everything and everyone you see, etc.

Saying that, I've done the first mission and I don't really see myself going back to play it again. I explored pretty much everywhere, and aside from the final choice of what to do with the target there's no real reason to play it all again. I suppose if I'd gone in and just stealthed straight to him, avoiding all unneccessary things, and then got straight out I could see myself redoing it. But there's no real reason to do that. I kinda think it could've done with a time limit (which would've made sense considering the mission) so you can't spend 2 hours sight seeing and making sure your've got the pocket change of every last guard on the level.

Also, in the pre-release hype for this game they were talking about how it's an extremely dynamic simulation that reacts to how you play. I thought it was BS then, and it looks like I was right. The game is fun though, but it's nowhere near the super-realistic simulation they were touting it as in the marketing.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2012, 05:26:52 pm »

Also, in the pre-release hype for this game they were talking about how it's an extremely dynamic simulation that reacts to how you play. I thought it was BS then, and it looks like I was right. The game is fun though, but it's nowhere near the super-realistic simulation they were touting it as in the marketing.
Played it through with few killings. Feels a little like bioshock in some ways. Slightly moraly grey, which is a good thing.
I felt a bit annoyed that killing arbitrarily increases weepers and leads to a darker ending(or at least according to the loading screen tips) because that made me kill not as many as i felt like =P
Some plot wise silly things and maybe slightly shorter game length than the average.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 05:44:38 pm by Ivefan »

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2012, 06:01:10 am »

Decided to buy it.
It's a pretty good game. As someone mentioned before, it reminds me of Bioshock.
Out of curiosity, do weepers attack you, or do they just stand there gagging?
Im doing stealth on my first playthrough, and I just finished the first real mission.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2012, 01:36:17 pm »

Dat gameplay trailer.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat had it not been so expensive and had I not been so hyped for XCOM (4½ more hours!). That setting looks freaking amazing, and I'm a sucker for a good setting. Honestly, the music in the gameplay trailer could probably sell the game by itself.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2012, 01:36:35 pm »

Out of curiosity, do weepers attack you, or do they just stand there gagging?
Imagine Zombies.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2012, 01:46:21 pm »

FOund something that might interest the people complaining of always having weapons out (though you guys might've already found it out, you've played more of it than me) while playing it at a friends house: Hold down F if you aren't doing anything else, and the weapons sheathe.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2012, 02:43:35 pm »

Okay, I have to ask, does anyone else want a switchblade-shortsword in real life?
Damn it, I do.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2012, 03:18:09 pm »

Didn't think about it before you mentioned it.. but no, i do not want it because the blade would need to be jointed to be able to fold/retract into the handle and thus making it fragile.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2012, 03:21:22 pm »

So, from people who've played it, is the game worth the price tag? It comes out tomorrow over here, and I'll likely buy it regardless.
Just wondering, mostly about replayablility, if I can get more than one playthrough out of it it'd be snazzy.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2012, 03:23:36 pm »

The drop down assassination is kinda difficult to do, a couple times I just landed on their head and knocked em over, but its fun when you pull it off.

Also when you get detected its really hard to get em off your tail. Though I did have a glorious moment where someone alerted all the guard and they all chased me rank and file down the road then I turn shoot the one in front and jump into the river and they lost me. I then reemerged and murdered the ones still milling about one by one.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2012, 03:46:12 pm »

From what I did, I'd say its interesting for more than one go based on how different the speech was after breaking out of prison and then watching my friend do it the more direct and stabbity way.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2012, 03:47:55 pm »

I love how the combat is set up in this game. You can't really just stand there and spam the attack button.
That being said, I try to avoid combat, and I haven't gotten too much practice with it.
I think I might go play now.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2012, 05:04:32 pm »

So, from people who've played it, is the game worth the price tag? It comes out tomorrow over here, and I'll likely buy it regardless.
Just wondering, mostly about replayablility, if I can get more than one playthrough out of it it'd be snazzy.
Kill all or kill as little as possible seems to be the two kinds of playthrough and personally i'm not tempted to go for my second, but i rarely do.
Buy it if you have money to spend and nothing more interesting to play, though i think the price wont go down much.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2012, 07:57:41 pm »

Bought the game for Xbox a couple days ago, and have been playing it on and off since then. A few points that stand out in my opinion:

COMBAT: fast-paced, kill-or-be-killed. I haven't played Bioshock or Rage, so the best comparison I have would be Skyrim meets Fable III. Most folks reading this will probably find that assessment very odd, but the twitchy, super human-esque swordplay strikes me so.

DIALOGUE AND STORY: Meh. The setting is excellent, and probably underrated for a true action-based platformer. The story itself is nothing particularly compelling; tried and true, but not quite polished or well enough delivered to be called "classic." And although it would be terribly cliche, I in the camp that believes the game's atmosphere could have benefited greatly from traditional English rather than flat American accents.

STEALTH: "Meh," is my honest opinion. In terms of abilities, mission layout, and objectives Dishonored is rich with possibilities. What really crashes it in my opinion, is 1.) a moderately weak to utterly shameful/hilarious AI and 2.) poor implementation.

On the first count, you have all the classic examples of stealth game-breakers, including a few that, say, Metal Gear Solid and even Skyrim have worked around. To begin with, most guards and other enemies seem to have a maximum peripheral detection range of about 10 feet, or otherwise don't seem to care when you slit their comrade's throat while they smoke a cigarette. In another instance, you might find yourself with the advantage of height over your unwitting adversaries, and decide to pick one off. After doing so, the remaining enemy may happen to notice and path to engage you... right into the wall below. This of course means that you will be unable to drop down and kill him stealthily, or would, if he were not soon to be overcome with "amnesia" (which, due to the flavoring of the voice acting, plays out more like sudden Apathy Syndrome) and sulk away with his back turned.

As for implementation, my criticism is that many of the covert abilities and pathways just aren't necessary, at least not on normal difficulty. You could take the long road around that checkpoint, but why bother? Shoot that guard in the head, and cut the others down in a few quick motions and be done with it. It is, of course, wonderful that we have both options, but leaves a bad aftertaste in my mouth and a sense that the gameplay is quite shallow. Maybe that will change as I progress.

Anyway, my two cents. :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2012, 04:19:39 am »

You're supposed to be able to play through this game without alerting or killing anyone. You know, unlike in MGS and Skyrim where combat is mandatory? It even has different endings based on how aggressive you've played. Like you could easily go through the prison slaughtering everyone, but that's not really the point of the game. Much like killing everyone on the map in Hitman Blood Money is not the right way to play that (even though that was easy as hell to do even on the highest difficulty level).

On a different note, this is one of those games where normal is the new easy (much like with Deus Ex HR). Play on hard for a challenge.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 04:25:00 am by Virtz »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13