Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Dishonored :(  (Read 28684 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Dishonored :(
« on: October 08, 2012, 02:36:04 am »

Dishonored is causing me to look deep into my soul and try to figure out whether it or XCOM deserve my attention first.

A first person supernatural stealth assassination game that you can apparently complete without killing anyone at all.  Multiple possible combinations of powers, routes, and playstyles.  Whale oil.  Rats.  Possessing rats.  Teleporting across rooftops.  Victorian London.  Steampunk.

Read RPS gush about it here.

Spoiler: Images (click to show/hide)

Have a cinematic trailer
And a gameplay trailer with excellent music

So yeah, why the hell don't we have a thread for this?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 02:53:43 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DishonoUred
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 02:53:46 am »

I actually tried to figure out what the codes that flash during the interactive trailer mean, but only came to settle that they do not:

-Serve as game keys
-Indicate how to play the tailer

Anyway, I'm not buying it because it su---- because it doesn't work on my operating system and i need new hardware.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 03:36:19 am »

This looks bloody excellent, wish I had a computer that could run it.  :'(

I might even buy it for my (ages old and half broken) Xbox, which I very rarely buy games for at all, but this looks so good that I don't know if I can pass it up.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 03:37:12 am »

Interesting note - art director same as the one on Half-Life 2. Hence some similarities with Combine architecture here and there.

Also, I've pre-ordered this. At first I thought it was like first-person Assassin's Creed and thought meh. But in gameplay videos it reminds me more of a cross between Thief and Bioshock or Deus Ex.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 04:02:18 am »

I was interested in it at first, but I've heard disheartening romours about it's length, so I might wait a while after release before I come to any decisions.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 04:08:01 am »

TBH the gameplay videos look amazing but I am holding back because:
1. They do regional pricing and I am in the luckiest region of them all (Oceania)
2. No incentive to pre-order; hats mean nothing to me
3. My wallet says no
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 04:17:43 am »

I was interested in it at first, but I've heard disheartening romours about it's length, so I might wait a while after release before I come to any decisions.

RPS says around 20 hours for a playthrough.  I'm gonna want to do at least one for vicious stealth, one for full on assault and one for ghosting.  That's 60 hours of game.  Even if you're the kind of person who only plays a game once, quality has gotta trump quantity right?

1. They do regional pricing and I am in the luckiest region of them all (Oceania)
3. My wallet says no

1. That shit sucks.  I'm in the cheapest area this time round (UK) and would be more than willing to help a few people get the cheaper price.
2. Meh.  It's actually out in a couple of days.  Oh noes they're offering a free thing I'll never use!
3. That shit also sucks.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 04:18:29 am »

Don't you release that it's all localising? It costs heaps to change completely nothing and translate all the American English subtitles into American English subtitles. Don't forget all the money they lose not paying taxes on digital goods. Or that terrible habit of Australian ISPs mirroring the content for free.
If anything we're lucky that some big glorious American company has graced our clearly under-developed and improvised shores with their mere majesty.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 04:19:42 am »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 04:22:20 am »

They shipped it all in from Hawaii. American sand is the one true sand.
( I hope someone gets the joke there.)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:24:39 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 04:45:43 am »

Are you currently at war with Eurasia, or Eastasia?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 04:50:16 am »

We're at war with anyone who is on the Two Minutes Hate.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 07:12:26 am »

3. My wallet says no

1. Same. But don't complain, it costs a buttload to ship out the game, one by one, on cruise ships (made of gold). Thats quality your paying for, damnit.
2. Agree. Skip tacky hats and wait for reviews, instead of forking large piles of (non-tacky) cash on an impulse buy? Yes please.

Other than that looks interesting, but I always exercise extreme caution on any non-cheap/free game, as pricey game is pricey.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 09:55:34 am »

While I'm interested, I have a few reasons for not pre-ordering.

1. I'm balls deep in Assassin's Creed right now and am thoroughly full on Assassin-Free-Running.
2. Too many other games coming out right now.
3. The preorder scheme was noxious, to say the least.

I'm going to hold off on a GOTY edition, on the chance all those preorder perks get bundled. Plus I want to hear some reviews on it, because lord knows the marketing/hype machine has been working hard for this one.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 10:09:24 am »

The game looks great, but I chose XCOM over it for the following reasons:

1) Replayability - Both are about 20 hours for a playthrough, but XCOM is more likely to be played a few dozen times at least while I might replay Dishonored 2-3 times.
2) Cost - Dis is $10 more.
3) Dis is much more likely to go on sale in November/December as it is a major release and after the initial saturation they tend to offer these for 25% off quickly.
4) XCOM - SQUEEE!
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13