Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Dishonored :(  (Read 28669 times)

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
Re: Dishonored :(
« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2012, 02:24:16 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2012, 03:48:46 pm »

I actually really liked the gameplay, but I agree with the point on that the game just gives you a whole bunch of badass powers and about a thousand different ways to kill a dude, then straight up tells you not to do it because it'll make things sad or something. The acting in general seemed a bit goofy as well, not sure if that was just me.

The setting was what really sold it, I think. I loved the mix of cthulhu mythos, HL2, and victorian-era steampunk, and I really want to see the game expand into a sequel where we get to see more of this world that the writers cooked up for us.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2012, 06:25:13 pm »

The acting in general seemed a bit goofy as well, not sure if that was just me.

Moreso surreal, I would say. Much of the dialogue was written well enough, but the way it was spoken... it made me feel like I was interacting with heavy cannabis smokers in a dream.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 15, 2012, 07:30:28 pm »

Moreso surreal, I would say. Much of the dialogue was written well enough, but the way it was spoken... it made me feel like I was interacting with heavy cannabis smokers in a dream.
Piero, maybe. I got more of the 'goofy' feeling from characters like Sokolov or Campbell.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2012, 01:20:10 am »

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2012, 04:39:13 am »

(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2012, 04:49:26 am »

I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2012, 05:05:45 am »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2012, 05:06:28 am »

The other evening I watched a couple of stoned people playing it for the first time. I was sober(well, sober of cannabis, anyway). I can only imagine how bizarre that first level seemed to them. :P 'Twas my first and only experience with the game, too.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2012, 05:34:35 am »

Some of the voice actors are better than others, definitely shows it's Bethesda through all the goodness of it. I have no complaints aside from that; though. It's an overall well designed game in my opinion and I usually disdain Bethesda's endevours. This game just reminds me of a strangly well-pulled off remix of Thief with Dark Messiah Of Might and Magic mixed in, it's a genuinely fun time. The graphics aren't even a con for me, if anything it's endearing.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2012, 05:54:17 am »

This wasn't made by Bethesda, though. Just published. It was made by Arkane Studios, who previously made Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2012, 06:02:37 am »

It's funny because the moment I got it and was gushing at one of my friends about it I made sure to mention at the end ".. I guarantee it's an out-of-house production, though. Bethesda never does this." I guess my hunch was right, heh. I'm just going to assume Bethesda forced awful voice actors on them then.

I didnt know Arx was made by these guys, though. I love this game even more now. Arx was simply incredible and probably one of my favorite modern [yes, I know my definition of modern is different] games, and Dark Messiah was noteworthy of itself, I suggest both of those games to any fans of RPGs wholeheartedly. I actually know why I've felt such deva-vu in this game, because their other games were similar in terms of choice of Stealth V Combat. It feels like Dishonored is those games but trimmed down and made a bit more accessible to people who don't want to cast magic via drawing runes [Arx] or sneaking along ledges for hours to avoid some fights [DM]. I applaud the effort and if the studio stays around I think their next product will be incredible. Though I wouldn't mind if they made it more complex, a la Arx Fatalis. That game should have had a major impact on what we consider norms in first-person RPG games, especially magic.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:11:36 am by Mictlantecuhtli »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2012, 06:38:48 pm »

Just started on it.  The combat's not that great from what I've seen, but like I said I just started on it.  I saw a video earlier today of a guy late game doing all kinds of Matrix shit, so I'm sure it's good once you get going.

As has been mentioned, they dropped the ball on the morality.  I can't believe they actually went in and said "Don't kill people because you'll get a bad ending" in a loading screen, is this for real?  I'm gonna go ultraviolence just to spite them.

The art kind of looks like they're going for an oil painting aesthetic, which is kind of silly and unnecessary.  Unconventional art styles are cool when they make sense, but this is just tacked on and makes the game ugly, especially since it's not that well done to begin with.

Shoes...

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 16, 2012, 07:07:38 pm »

This spoiler pertains to the first real mission.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:29:07 pm by Puzzlemaker »
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 16, 2012, 07:57:57 pm »

Past the ending I see no reason not to just kill everyone.

Also drop assassinating stilt-soldiers is absurdly badass and I refuse to kill them in any other fashion.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13