Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Why are aquifers considered annoying?  (Read 8713 times)

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are aquifers considered annoying?
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2012, 02:00:45 pm »

Such modifications would be also helpful in managing brooks.  However, considering how Toady works, be careful what you wish for.  There are a lot of unrealistic things about DF water that favor the player, and he's apt to "fix" those first.... 

For instance, at present if you do manage to dam a sourced water flow, it stops coming once the water behind the dam is 7/7.  In real life, the level would just keep rising until the water finds a new way through.

I would be totally ok with that.  It is how I would like water to be, an on going mental and planning challenge, not a short but tedious micromanagement problem.

If it was changed to be like that without a way to effectively dam flowing water then I would be pretty disappointed, but given the changes I mentioned before I would completely support more realistic water.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2012, 02:19:06 pm »

I am glad Im not the only whos upset by aquifers.  Ive yet to successfully pump through them manually, as all my attempts end with several drowned dorfs.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2012, 03:21:27 pm »

I am glad Im not the only whos upset by aquifers.  Ive yet to successfully pump through them manually, as all my attempts end with several drowned dorfs.

Very easy-to-make-happen-without-mishap method:

Did a 6x6 square into the aquifer, giving you a nice swimming pool.  Construct 24 pumps along the edges.  Dig a trench in front of the pumps.  Build a wall around said trench to avoid spillage.  Activate pumps (using gears and axles to connect them all together, add a windmill / waterwheel).

Watch as 36 squares of water virtually disappear.  Add dwarves to the pit to construct walls (make sure to construct corners first).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2012, 04:29:01 pm »

Or don't construct the walls and have a nice, impenetrable entrance...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2012, 05:42:39 pm »

You kinda need the walls to keep the water from flowing down the stairway....

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2012, 06:40:47 am »

I, for one, have always avoided aquifer areas ever since Toady decided to add them into local sites. I've never had a legitimately fun time trying to game the aquifer with pumps so I could place some damn stairs and walls to not ever have to think about the 1-tile-thick area that somehow always spews water.

If it's more than 1 tile thick of aquifer, it's an instant abandon. Especially if there's no cold season in the area.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

muzzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2012, 08:30:22 am »

The aquifer-piercing itself isn't much fun, I suppose. You might feel an overwhelming sense of pride the first time you pierce a multi-layer aquifer without messing something up, but that's about it. After a while, the cancellations get pretty tedious, even if you temporarily mod announcements.

Still, as others have pointed out, the rate of seepage seems fairly balanced with respect to pumping speed. And if both get lowered, I'm afraid it might negatively impact other pumping-related endeavors. I'd much rather leave flow rates as they are, and increase the submersion threshold from 2/7 to 3/7 instead.

But even with the tedium, in my opinion, aquifers >> any other water source.

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2012, 09:34:01 am »

I absolutely love the aquifers. 

First, because when you are learning how to punch through them, you can have all kinds of trouble and eventually make a big mess and just abandon the site.  As an adventurer travelling through the area, it's neat to come upon a  site where a 'group of people' unsuccessfuly tried to engineer a home.

Second, the easy to access clean drinking water.  You have to have water or booze (I play a human race so they are not booze addicted like the dwarves) so wells are great for sustaining them.

Third, it's a nice initial challange and just one of the 'problems' I have to overcome if I want to live in that particular area.  As there are also sites you can choose where you are attacked almost immediately... shall we get rid of dangerous creatures too just so we can embark anywhere we want?

Fourth etc..., I like the fact that Toady One is using realistic geology.  It makes you think.  I find most new games these days have the 'console mentality' and make things too easy or don't pay attention to detail or simply do most of the thinking for you and thus just hand 'goodies' over to the player.  In DF, it's thankfully very different.  Aquifers is just one example of how you don't always get something handed to you.  You have to work a little bit for it and be innovative or even be forced to embark elsewhere.  Sometimes I don't feel like breaching an aquifer so I have to choose a site that at least has some non-aquifer area.  I like being forced out of an area if I'm being lazy.  That's the price.... or you can just turn them off.  Hehehe.
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2012, 01:43:08 pm »

For a game this is really backwards and leads to problem a upside down difficultly curve, where the game gets exponentially easier instead of more difficult.

That's pretty much DF right there.

First it is indecipherable.
Periods.  Commas.  Smiley faces?  What the fuck??

Then it is Insurmountable.
I was doing fine until some & popped out and accidentally my whole fort!  What the fuck!

Finally, it is inconvenient.
Well that's annoying.  I'll just mod it out.  Eh, what the fuck.

But for the most part the game is just simply incredible. :-)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2012, 03:08:20 pm »

You kinda need the walls to keep the water from flowing down the stairway....
Not if you keep the pumps running!
Ideally combine this with some mechanism to seal the fortress's entrance when you stop the pumps.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

anti_kuketski

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2012, 05:27:27 pm »

Aquifers provde infinite amounts of water to drink and drown goblins process goblinite! If only there was fast method of breaching them!
Usually my favorite embark areas(moist tropical forest+flux+metals) come with aquifer, so its really annoying - to do same breach AGAIN. Because of that i started to love freezing biomes!

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2012, 06:03:59 am »

Or just set the site finder to find aquifers. Then every aquifer tile will have a nice flashing X on it, and you can select a suitable embark rectangle (although make sure that the site info says aquifer, even if it's got flashing tiles)
Wow, I hadn't noticed the site finder was improved.  (Although probably not enough that I'd actually rely on it....)

But it doesn't help with this problem.  It can (very slowly) mark every region tile that contains an aquifer.  But it doesn't mark the embark tiles in the leftmost "local" map.  So it is no help with choosing an embark site with both some aquifer access and also a safe spot to dig.
Actually it does exactly that, and I use it for exactly that purpose.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2012, 07:57:18 pm »

But it doesn't help with this problem.  It can (very slowly) mark every region tile that contains an aquifer.  But it doesn't mark the embark tiles in the leftmost "local" map.  So it is no help with choosing an embark site with both some aquifer access and also a safe spot to dig.
Actually it does exactly that, and I use it for exactly that purpose.
No it doesn't; I tried.

The flashing Xs on the local map do not have anything to do with the site finder; they mark biomes, not compatible sites.  You see them even if you never use the finder.  You won't see them if the embark rectangle is entirely contained in one biome.

The game will report aquifer presence separately for each biome, which may give the appearance of marking all aquifer tiles.  However, many biomes include both aquifers and non-aquifer tiles, so this does not give full information.  Often if an aquifer is identified, you can find some subset of the flashing Xs that do not trigger an aquifer warning when the embark rectangle covers them.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2012, 04:45:23 am »

(massive edit due to being completely wrong)

Just did some testing and you're right, individual squares within the same biome can either have or not have an aquifer.  Worse, this doesn't show up on the site finder, although it's still useul for finding the edges of the aquifers for those of us who like the half-aquifer embark.

Sorry for doubting you!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 06:50:56 am by SmileyMan »
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]