Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Why are aquifers considered annoying?  (Read 8715 times)

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why are aquifers considered annoying?
« on: October 08, 2012, 12:52:08 am »

I get that they are hard to mine through (in the summer) but I swear in the winter they aren't active. At least everytime I've played I have been able to punch through them in the winter, and then just smooth the walls
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are aquifers considered annoying?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 12:57:37 am »

Not all maps freeze in the winter.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 01:02:29 am »

Fair enough
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 03:18:45 am »

Even if you pierce them while forzen, it's an annoyance. It just means you have to wait until winter and do all your digging then.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 03:27:49 am »

mining them in the winter also has a chance of minercicles.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 05:56:52 am »

For me the stop producing water in the winter... Is my game not working properly?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 07:19:11 am »

Maybe it's changed since I last played. When I tried it, they produced water allright, which would instantly freeze and entomb my miners, but that's been a while ago.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 07:53:11 am »

Maybe it's changed since I last played. When I tried it, they produced water allright, which would instantly freeze and entomb my miners, but that's been a while ago.
Yeah, I had similar experiences.
And it wasn't very nice because I could barely access ore and the pick got atomsmashed due to ice... one miner is very little for a growing fort(even one that's stuck in soil).
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 08:49:11 am »

All I know is I've been setting up in ocean biomes a lot lately, and for the summer... yeah the aquifers are annoying. Come winter though I can dig straight down with no problem, and dig out areas that gave me aquifer warnings during the summer time, sans water (Im using the word sans correctly right? =P)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 09:05:57 am »

Yes, congratulations, you now know French.

Hm, that might be it. I usually don't expose moist rock to open air.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 09:11:22 am »

Well its only open air in the sense that my tunnels eventually lead outside. I'm not talking aquifer soil thats exposed to sunlight

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 01:21:37 pm »

They're not annoying at all, unless you forget to mod them out.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 02:18:37 pm »

In my case much bigger chance of minercicles than usual, for some reason in this latest version they are constantly taking a dip, lost like ten miners last time I had to breach the aquifer.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 05:03:04 pm »

They're annoying because they're all or nothing. If you don't know how to breach an aquifer and aren't on a site that freezes, you make a functional surface fortress while you try and figure it out. If you do know how to breach an aquifer, it's a speed bump.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 07:44:39 pm »

They're annoying because they're all or nothing. If you don't know how to breach an aquifer and aren't on a site that freezes, you make a functional surface fortress while you try and figure it out. If you do know how to breach an aquifer, it's a speed bump.
For me, unless I embark in an unusually cold area or find a good spot to make a cave-in plug, I pretty much don't get stone.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4