Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

Author Topic: Apprentices to a Master of Magic  (Read 14910 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentices to a Master of Magic
« Reply #240 on: February 23, 2013, 02:59:01 pm »

You can research it yourself.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 23, 2013, 03:44:03 pm »

((Ooh. I assumed she'd object to something like that...))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 23, 2013, 03:48:11 pm »

((Ooh. I assumed she'd object to something like that...))
Well, aside from you being a closely guarded mage with secrets and a lot of approval... as evinced by the spoilers I quoted, mana generation is based on how much population and how many places of worship your empire currently controls, much like in Master of Magic, and Lady Zirae currently only controls half of the known mana reserves, and less than half of the population. Considering none of your opponents are using any of that magic, they have no fast digging, 2.00 mundane stealth is actually good...it's kinda embarrassing there hasn't been more land grabbing— or I guess it would be, if you guys hadn't blanked out on where your mana comes from, so now that's what's embarrassing instead.

Also, if you can figure out what generally aids population growth, such as certain structures or additional sources of food, you should probably take care of that sooner rather than later. Ditto for that fact that Sirra will be able to summon a ☼Temple☼ instead of just a *Shine* in a few turns if she trains her skills and gets another metal spell.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 24, 2013, 07:31:16 pm »

Sorry, no update for a few days. I'm not well enough to trust myself at number crunching at the moment. There should be something by Wednesday.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 27, 2013, 09:49:24 pm »

((The important parts, the player studies, are here. I'll do the rest another day.))

Ardrek starts inventing a hat to protect the user from mental intrusion. He doesn't expect it to be very useful on its own, given his own limited skill, but it should serve as one more layer of defense for someone who can already protect their own minds. At best on the unskilled, it would alert them and the attack would take slightly longer.

Daniel begins working on a spell that will let him detect the general direction and distance of persistent magical effects, large mana stores, or spells being cast, if he gets lucky on timing. ((If you want a passive skill, get this spell and/or train metamagic above nothing first. It won't be completely reduntant, as you'd have a standard passive mode and the spell for cheap active pings.))

Sirra makes good progress on the conjure weapons spell. Lady Zirrae has not had much spare time lately, does not offer to explain the conjure weapons spell in detail, and Sirra does not ask. ((I'll assume the agent kept training last turn, but please keep reminding me about him training.))

Albrecht studies soul magic, nicely expanding his knowledge about self-aware globs of spiritual energy. They continually yet lightly shed energy when summoned/not residing in a body. They seem to remain stable wherever it is they normally reside, neither gaining nor losing energy. They likely cease to exist entirely when they lose enough energy, but it's possible they just return to their natural plane to lie dormant and lose the connections that let him summon them.

Thranduil begins studying soul magic, making decent progress. ((Oh no. Nono. No adding new schools to a spell mid-level. Nope nope nope. I don't wanna go there, that path is of one of ugly math and madness.))

Jamgeon gets a working plant idea spell, and increases his mind magic skill in the process.

Lady Zirae spends the season trying to keep on top of the Tivoyn's plans, slightly distracted from her enchantment studies. Their supporter in the Tri-Fold Domain has decided to cut his own losses and cease contact. Eventually, the desperate remnants of the Conspiracy mass their forces to strike, in one final attempt to remove her from power.

They fail, but the casualties were staggering, especially with no medical spells. A full third of the city's serfs lie dead, or are too wounded to remain effective workers. Now her serfs. As the causality reports are given, the apprentices witness her completely lose her composure for the first time. In a berserk fury, she uses paralytic shock on the messenger, then burns through her personal mana reserves shocking her apprentices (Minus Albrecht, who was the furthest away, and escaped with sharp yelling and demands to work on regenerative techniques faster by virtue of her running out of mana.)

Spoiler: Anger (click to show/hide)

She demands the apprentices deal with planning the acquisition of the Tri-Fold Domain's population (Once roughly even with that of Medea's Stiletto), while she stalks off to get the rangers searching for any other settlements hidden in the province.

Tivoryn's Conspiracy: destroyed!
Success rating: Bad.

Spoiler: Known rival stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Empire Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Province Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spell Library (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Thranduil(Mesor) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Daniel Snell(Scapheap) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:22:26 pm by Nirur Torir »

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 28, 2013, 03:42:06 am »

More Ping and look into mana production.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 28, 2013, 04:14:07 am »

Continue studying soul magic, focus dreamwalk on seeing through the animals eyes in real time.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 28, 2013, 07:05:26 pm »

Turn finished. You rolled badly on not drawing Lady Zirae's anger.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 28, 2013, 07:06:34 pm »

Study corporeal manifestation further.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 28, 2013, 07:57:40 pm »

((
She demands the apprentices deal with planning the acquisition of the Tri-Fold Domain's population (Once roughly even with that of Medea's Stiletto), while she stalks off to get the rangers searching for any other settlements hidden in the province.

Tivoryn's Conspiracy: destroyed!
Success rating: Bad.
My tirade was timed perfectly...or horribly, depending on your view.

This happens to be confusing.
))
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 28, 2013, 08:23:09 pm »

((Thank you, old entry properly removed.))

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 28, 2013, 09:36:37 pm »

With all this talk of medical facilities, I figured that I may as well check to see if there is any room for a mad surgeon/seeker of immortality.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 01, 2013, 03:43:03 am »

Jamnan approach Sierra. "I suggest we do another co-op mission. We need to clean this mess up. We could travel to the Tri-Fold Domain, and start spreading our influence there. You could impress the commoners with your superior conjuration skills, while I could encourage leaders who are already leaning towards joining our cause, and...dissuade them who oppose us. What do you say?" 

With or without Sierra, Jamnan requests a few diplomats, and make proper preparations for a creation of an embassy in the Tri-Fold Domain. Preferably, Sierra could create the estate from scratch as an impressive performent, otherwise he commission the materials and personnel necessary to build one. Jamnan also brings the materials needed for further magic-research, as this embassy might be his home for a while. He offers any apprentice who thinks that he or she could be useful in this journey to join him.

Lastly Jamnan Approach Ardrek, and asks if he has any idea of a spell which we could use as a two way communication between the embassy and "headquarters? Since Ardrek is the one with the highest divination skill.

(I could rewrite it in "I" form if you prefer it, but I feel it would be strange to write shorter roleplay section it that format)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 03:49:26 am by Evil Marahadja »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 01, 2013, 07:39:10 am »

Ardrek decided to act boldly. It was risky, very risky way to act, but he decided to disguise himself as a robbed merchant and went to the city Tri-fold domain ruled in

Here he tried to use his social skills to find any legal job (even if that would mean to become a slave) and used both magic ( by setuping enchanted items here and there) and his social skills to gather any useful information, to transfer it to Lady Zirae's rangers, spies, or herself, should she use bits of divination magic to contact him

Of cause he informed Lady Zirae about his plan beforehand, to not make her think that he betrayed her and ran away
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 10, 2013, 12:53:12 pm »

((Well. Let that be a lesson to letting rebels sit there unchallenged for months on end. :I

In our defense though, we were winning. That just turned out to be part of the problem.))

Sirra rubbed her neck, still feeling a little shaken from Lady Zirae's tirade. She supposed losing a third of the city's population was reasonable cause to feel anger, though her particular means of expressing that anger had seemed rather excessive and poorly aimed to her.

Still, that was in the past. The future consisted of figuring out how to take the Tri-Fold Domain without similar problems...

Jamnan approach Sierra. "I suggest we do another co-op mission. We need to clean this mess up. We could travel to the Tri-Fold Domain, and start spreading our influence there. You could impress the commoners with your superior conjuration skills, while I could encourage leaders who are already leaning towards joining our cause, and...dissuade them who oppose us. What do you say?" 

With or without Sierra, Jamnan requests a few diplomats, and make proper preparations for a creation of an embassy in the Tri-Fold Domain. Preferably, Sierra could create the estate from scratch as an impressive performent, otherwise he commission the materials and personnel necessary to build one. Jamnan also brings the materials needed for further magic-research, as this embassy might be his home for a while. He offers any apprentice who thinks that he or she could be useful in this journey to join him.

Lastly Jamnan Approach Ardrek, and asks if he has any idea of a spell which we could use as a two way communication between the embassy and "headquarters? Since Ardrek is the one with the highest divination skill.
"I had a similar but slightly different plan. Notably, bear in mind that The Three will likely disapprove of attempts to undermine their influence; I had intended to attempt bribing them directly.

Still, the creation of an embassy sounds amenable to that, and it's certainly within my specialty."

Go help be a diplomat/build a diplomat building, preferably requesting meetings with the leaders of the Tri-Fold Domain to learn more about them.

If that falls through or doesn't occupy all my time, refine Conjure Weapons, leaning more towards quality than quantity if I have to choose.

Salscrale should act as a status-increasing bodyguard, try to get a better feel for the situation in the Tri-Fold Domain, or continue to train archery, as appropriate.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18