Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Author Topic: Apprentices to a Master of Magic  (Read 14940 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentices to a Master of Magic
« Reply #210 on: January 22, 2013, 07:13:22 pm »

((Marahadja and/or Nirur?))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 22, 2013, 07:52:57 pm »

((Yeah, you both get back without incident. Hopefully I'll get the finishing text on that tomorrow.
I'll say yes on Salscrale being the best friendly archer in Medea's Stiletto, but no training others from partial levels.))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 22, 2013, 08:18:51 pm »

((Partial levels period or really narrow fractions of levels? Would we see any difference if someone was 2.98 archery, for instance, or would they need that .02 before they could pass anything useful on?))
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 22, 2013, 08:56:36 pm »

((Partial levels period or really narrow fractions of levels? Would we see any difference if someone was 2.98 archery, for instance, or would they need that .02 before they could pass anything useful on?))
((There will be a difference between [2.00] and [2.98] on important characters. Unimportant characters will never see anything in-between two levels.
On further thinking, it's not really any extra work to allow important characters with [2.50] to train another important character who's at [2.00], and there's not much reason not to do so. They'll still need a full level to train NPCs up from the previous level, even if they're training elite soldiers.))

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 23, 2013, 07:37:21 pm »

Sirra and Jamgeon have finished their mission, and returned with more knowledge of the other city, gleaned by rangers subtly listening to gossipers.

Medea's Stiletto had several noble houses that each independently ruled over their own serfs, with virtually no upward mobility and no middle class. This town, apparently called the Tri-Fold Domain, is ruled over by three cooperative autocrats. They don't seem to directly own everyone in the city (although there's little freedom), and there are some independent merchants and craftsmen. They're slightly less isolationist than the nobles in Midea's Stiletto. Nobody mentioned anything about another dark elf town or supporting a war.

One ranger heard of a group supporting dark-elves ruling uncontested that she suspects might be interested in helping a powerful dark elven wizardess' cause. She didn't hear anything about where they might be found.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 24, 2013, 02:25:09 am »

Train on my silent muddle senses

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 29, 2013, 09:51:14 pm »

((Extra research from [5.00] spells will spill off into upgrading it to the next level.))

Lady Zirae studies metamagic. During one dinner conversation, she mentions finding it helpful for figuring out how to design spells to do what she wants.

Danienl researches a spell to temporarily give the caster night vision. It currently only lasts a few minutes (with a long cast) and has the slight side effect of causing crippling pain if he looks at even a moderately bright light, but he expects to work these minor details out soon enough, especially with his new-found insight into Elementalism.

((Mesor, I'm treating things below cat/dog-level intelligence as being utterly incapable of gathering and retaining useful knowledge. You may as well ask the average English-only American four-year-old who'd been on a vacation to China last week about a conversation near him in a restaurant. Even intelligent creatures won't be much use for spying on conversations, [but you might be able to get a dog to remember that these three fighters were angry at a weak guy, who then gave them a leather bag]. You'll need a different spell cast first, to record what you want.
As-is, if you used your spell on a stray dog from a city, you could get a great map of the place, and probably incomplete guard patrol routes.))
Thranduil improves on his tame animal spell until he feels it will force any of the local wildlife to imprint on him.

Albrecht improves his incorporeal manifestation spell. He should soon be capable of making a spirit fully corporeal soon, but doing so carries a high mana cost. It may be possible to further modifier the spell so that the spirits may maintain themselves by draining their needed energy from their environs and nearby people. ((You don't need to get pocket money from the serfs. You have a despotic noble/would-be queen with a vested interest in you for a patron. The other nobles are aligned against her. There is no middle class to speak of. Finally, I don't feel like tracking anybody's personal wealth. Just requisition or commandeer things, as is your right.))

Ardrek decides to combine a universal translation spell with a spell to read off the results out-loud. Puzzling out how has increase his knowledge of Divination.
((Oi, this isn't D&D. Divination shouldn't be forced to do something boring like translating. Poor Divination.))

Sirra continues to feed her ambition to summon absurd amounts of rock.

Jamgeon improves his stealthy muddle senses spell.

Surprisingly, no peasants kill each other this season.

During the season, the group of rangers returns to the Tri-Fold Domain to look into gaining the support of the Dark Elven supremacy group. They ((Finally, a non-neutral roll for the war)) manage to enter the city without being detected, find the group, and convince a group of three spokesmen to return to Medea's Stiletto with them, to view a demonstration of magic. They're fairly impressed, despite the relative lack of "flashy" magic, especially of Albrecht's work on spirits. They happily agree to spy on Lady Zirae's behalf, and Ardrek enchants one of their figurines so they may give regular reports, twice a month.
As far as they can figure out, one of the autocrats is working alone to support Lady Zirae's enemies.
They manage to return without being detected. ((Tri-Fold Domain security is apparently terrible. Arrogance, maybe?))

Lady Zirae decides that the next group coming to give support will be ambushed, if her new allies manage to get enough information to do so. Are there any volunteers to aid in the battle? ((Mostly for flavor. There's a chance of gaining or losing favor if you go, depending on whether or not the RNG thinks you fight competently and non-linearly inversely proportional to how much you already have. Sirra, having the most favor, would find it easier to disappoint Lady Zirae, and harder to further impress her. No, you don't get to know how much you have.))

Spoiler: Known rival stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Empire Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Province Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spell Library (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Thranduil(Mesor) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Daniel Snell(Scapheap) (click to show/hide)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 30, 2013, 01:58:56 am »

Work on general Soul Magic, and see if I can't bolster my manifestation's strength,

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 30, 2013, 05:48:58 am »

((Just requisition or commandeer things, as is your right.))
((For some reason this amused me greatly. :P))

((depending on whether or not the RNG thinks you fight competently

Sirra, having the most favor, would find it easier to disappoint Lady Zirae, and harder to further impress her.))
((Well that's two votes for no. Think I'll be sitting this one out!))

Continue refining Efficient Conjure Stone. If that pushes it over, continue on a version that lets me define the shape of the resulting stone.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 30, 2013, 10:27:46 am »

Create a fireball spell.

And as a rouge I volunteer for the mission.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:00:13 am by scapheap »
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 31, 2013, 01:12:50 am »

Failing to find a nice reading material for his conjure story spell Ardrek decided to work on his mind magic, more precisely he asked Lady Zirae to grant him a slave for some minds reading experiments. 
While dedicated mind mage would simply develop a telepathy spell and hack the mind of a target. that wasn't a way Ardrek would chose. He found it unsettling to dig in the minds of primitives and even more unsettling to open his own mind for contact of someone who can defend their mind and counterattack.

Instead he mixed some of the lessons gained from a conjure story experiment, added some mind magic research and tried to make the spell that would extract memory and convert it into a a sound that can be either conjured immediately or silently recorded to the active sound recording stone.*

Of cause he never forgot to accept reports from the spies, because angering Lady Zirae is always a bad idea

* Should he get no  slave to play. he'll  work on improving the sound recording stone, making it to record only speech and skip all other sounds\silence, saving recording space and making it easier to get information from noisy places
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:27:48 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 04, 2013, 04:39:55 am »

If our mistress thinks my skills will be of any use in the ambush. I gladly volunteer to join it.

Start creating a new spell. "Implant Idea". It will give someone an idea and make him/her urge to act upon it. While the affected target wont do anything that directly hurts them, it is possible to give ideas like "Our side is much weaker, I should consider deflecting to the enemy" etc.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 07, 2013, 09:04:22 pm »

((Just need Mesor and I'll be able to get a turn up this weekend. Sorry about letting the updates slip to one every two weeks, but I should be able to keep this up without resenting the game and quitting before it gets to some sort of ending.

Ukrainian Ranger, a few problems: You don't have a working spell yet, and probably don't want to plan to use a spell with an unknown cost. There is very little spare mana not used for research or miscellaneous spells like your scry. The spell won't be nearly strong enough to parse anything yet, let alone accurately infer new knowledge from old. Most importantly, however, there is no magical library in Medea's Stiletto (yet). Lady Zirae was the first wizard in the area, so there are no old works, and nobody has written much down, to make it really hard for the other dark elves to steal anything.

To answer your question, only Lady Zirae has access to every spell in the metaphorical library [sorry for the confusing name]. It's mostly in its own spoiler so I have one unified spot for easy updating. There is no automatic bonus to spells known by another player, but you may freely teach each other how to cast spells (with the proper magic school level), which does grant a research bonus of <REDACTED>. You may also teach each other everything about the spell, but that's not free.
It's easier to rediscover why a wheel is carved as it is than to invent it the first time, but easier still if someone tells you why it's a circle and not an irregular quadrangle.))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 07, 2013, 10:25:33 pm »

((Well, I would much rather slow and steady than quick and dead.

Also my plans are nearing fruition. This won't be a stalemate much longer. :3))

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 08, 2013, 12:28:22 am »

Edited my turn. No magical google yet :)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18