Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: Apprentices to a Master of Magic  (Read 14966 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentices to a Master of Magic
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2012, 05:26:11 pm »

There's not much spying you can do against dark elves as both an exotic race and a known enemy agent. Lady Zirae has spies, but so do the conspirators.

Remember that you could go half and half on training mundane and magic skills, but that's a bit less efficient than training both sequentially over two turns.
Yeah, it occurred to me afterwards that trying to do that without any relevant skills might end badly. Training up a mundane skill would probably be better.

Also, what does Perception cover?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2012, 05:49:24 pm »

Also, what does Perception cover?
If you can think of an action that will use it, go ahead (spying on other players, for example). Otherwise it will probably just be used for missions. And maybe noticing assassins, if one of the undefined enemy wizards likes them and you don't have competent bodyguards.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2012, 12:00:25 am »

Study divination to further my knowledge of the magical arts.
Basically view object but for hearing. It should (if its fine with you at least) be able to pierce spells hiding sounds or silencing nearby.
Obviously a nearly useless spell (on its own at least, although it does have niche uses), but it will be useful for a more comprehensive divination library in the future.

E: I can't really think of any divination teir 1 spells that I would like, so I guess I will study generic divination.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:38:55 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2012, 05:56:10 am »

Quote from: Nirur Torir link=topic=1174[/quote
Are you sure you want to do that?
That was a scary remark.  :o Why is that such a bad ideá?

It's common knowledge that Lady Zirae wishes to minimize the number of people who know any magic.

What I meant was not that I should teach them magic. But if I use muddle senses, they should know how it work and how to make the most use of it. (IE, if I use muddle senses, they now how to best approch the target to maximise the usage of the spell.) But she might not like that either?

Please stop talking your actions to the character you directly control.

Sorry!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2012, 09:02:19 am »

Study hear object.
Basically view object but for hearing. It should (if its fine with you at least) be able to pierce spells hiding sounds or silencing nearby.
Obviously a nearly useless spell (on its own at least, although it does have niche uses), but it will be useful for a more comprehensive divination library in the future.
You can choose to add that onto View Object once you get that to [2.00].

That was a scary remark.  :o Why is that such a bad ideá?
I interpret it as you spending the season trying to further train people who are already more skilled than you are. You'd probably do nothing but waste everyone's time, and Lady Zirae is an evil leader 'fighting' a conspiracy, and isn't just having her troops stand idle.

What I meant was not that I should teach them magic. But if I use muddle senses, they should know how it work and how to make the most use of it. (IE, if I use muddle senses, they now how to best approch the target to maximise the usage of the spell.) But she might not like that either?
Oh, that's different. Still not going to happen, because A) The mana stockpile is empty and B) I'm not tracking how well acclimated an anonymous squad of soldiers is to working with one particular spell.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2012, 09:37:15 pm »

Oh, well then, action changed to research divination.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2012, 02:19:03 am »

Turn edited.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2012, 07:55:14 pm »

((I'm speeding up full spell teaching to 10x with one-on-one, 8x with multiple students, and removing the loss of overall efficiency if you want to study something else afterwards. Otherwise Lady Zirae would be cheating whenever she shares magical knowledge. School knowledge and skills remain at a base of 3x or 2x, but get an increasing bonus the more skilled the teacher is than the student.))

Lady Zirae begins studying the school of Metamagic.

Thranduil viciously murders his pet worm in an unfortunate accident that leaves him unable to remember exactly what went wrong and with a terrible headache. Despite the setbacks, he feels that his spell is ready.

Sirra works to train her perception: Having someone make a few changes to a room while her back is turned, then spotting the differences (After several failures where the chosen slave refused to allow Sirra to be wrong, a guard was used), trying to find hidden rangers during their training, finding Jamgeon, and noticing people sneaking up on her.

Albrecht is nearing another breakthrough on Soul Magic.

Jamgeon tries to sneak past rangers a few times, but they insult his heavy footsteps and he decides to sneak by normal palace guards instead. He tries hiding from Sirra several times, but she finds him more often than not. Muddle senses proves nearly useless in its current form.

Lady Zirae is annoyed at Ardrek for not working on his remote viewing spell as she wanted. He makes good progress on improving his divination skill, but she wanted something with more immediate use.

One of the nobels in the Tivoryn Conspiracy was particularly foolish, and fell to one of Lady Zirae's spies. The rest are quite shaken, and some of the fallen noble's peasants are 'convinced' to seek protection from Lady Zirae.

Troop training continues, slowly. Lady Zirae is getting annoyed at their general terribleness. She would much rather avoid a bloody battle involving most of the town's forces, but the spy reports indicate the conspirators are growing desperate.

Spoiler: Known rival stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Empire Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Province Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spell Library (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Thranduil(Mesor) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ardrek(Lemon10) (click to show/hide)

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2012, 08:04:18 pm »

Edited to new post.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 06:45:49 pm by mesor »

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2012, 08:06:13 pm »

(Can I still get in? )

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2012, 08:19:37 pm »

Sorry, it's full. Any more players and turns will take too long to make.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2012, 12:49:39 am »

(After several failures where the chosen slave refused to allow Sirra to be wrong, a guard was used)
((Love this detail. :P))

Sirra rocked back and forth at her desk. What to do, what to do... Lady Zirae was growing annoyed, and her enemies were growing desperate... clearly, something should be done, but what? Sirra had no skill at anything that could resolve either of those issues. She could try getting some, but by the time she was useful whatever was going to happen most likely would have.

Plus, there was the matter of the mana reserves. Or specifically, the fact that there weren't any. Jamgeon had apparently been doing things other than researching magic, but the rest had continued to consume as much mana as they could find. It was irritating, but she didn't really see what could be done.

Well, other than do a bit more research of her own. Hopefully there'd be at least a bit more to go around now...

Refine Efficient Conjure Stone yet further.

Sirra cancels spell research: Fabulous dinner party idea!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:12:06 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2012, 01:59:10 am »

(How come I did't learn any muddle-senses skills this turn? And only .24 sneaking?)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2012, 04:31:40 am »

"I can do this..."

Finish that level of Soul magic.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2012, 05:57:40 am »

PTW. Also I'll roleplay some guard/ranger dude for practicing writing skill [1.62] and adding depth, if no one mind (no effect intended. Just some storytelling.)  ;D

Diary of Derek Zart, member of Lady Zirae's guards.
The Exiled Wastes aren't exactly a welcoming place. But Lady Zirae, although she's not the kindest of rulers, succeed in bringing some order in this. Since she began ruling the Wastes, we attained peace and prosperity. Sort of. And now some selfish nobles seeks to overthrow her. How foolish! One of them already fell to us. Rumors says they grow desperate and may try open warfare any time soon. I don't think they could win. Their morale is very low, meaning they have probably less manpower than us. Plus, we have those magic users.
Sure thing, their most harmful spell yet only induce headache, but at the rate they're progressing, I bet this spell would make your head explode before two years. Maybe. But it isn't the most dangerous, no. I was a test subject for the sense-muddling spell. Useless for sneaking, yes, but the vision blur would be a serious handicap in a swordfight. Same for the headache-spell. My friends said the pain was sharp, and quite distracting.
If a battle were to happen, six mages (including Lady Zirae) throwing those spells around could shift the balance in our favour quite heavily.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18