Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Touhou Project Play-by-post RPG: Graze your way to victory! Recruiting!  (Read 3406 times)

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Current status: Recruiting! See below.

I am currently recruiting 4-6 players for an attempt at running a Touhou Project (henceforth referred to as Touhou for convenience) RPG created by Bahamut – rulebook available here. If you are interested in playing this game, I ask you to send me a private message (via these forums, or if you're more comfortable, through twitter or tumblr) with your basic character details. I’ll review them and provide you a final FP score for finalizing your character creation process. I will be accepting applications on a first-completed, received and accepted basis, until I have 6 players or until a period of 1 week from this post has expired. (So, to be generous, next Sunday (the 14th) at Midnight, EST.)

Update: Oct 8th: Currently, there is 1 reserved spot.

• What’s this thread about?

Have you ever wanted to decimate hordes of enemies with barrage upon barrage of deadly magical bullets, but found that 1. Magic isn’t real and/or 2. You can’t play shooter games? Then perhaps this thread is for you.
      Touhou RPG – Tale of Phantasmal Land, is an adaptation of the Touhou setting and gameplay into a tabletop RPG format, designed by a person known as Bahamut. Bahamut is currently working on a different project (a small TTRPG known as Treasure Hunters, apparently soon to be part of Goblinworks), but someday intends to come back to this project. As such, the game is in a partially finished state, which I will attempt to rectify myself (much to the chagrin of game balance).

• What do I need to do?

To participate in the game, you must create a character. In the world of Gensokyo – Touhou’s setting – crazy things – incidents – happen on a regular basis. If you were to somehow get wrapped up in one… well, you might end up a hero! Thus, you should view your character as a ‘hero in training’, although you have significant leeway in that. However, to become the greatest hero… you must also get more of the glory than your partners – either by getting more points, or by convincing others (both in and out of the game) of your greatness…
      You cannot finalize your character without gamemaster input – that would be me. Unfortunately I haven’t gamemastered before so I could make many amateur mistakes. Hopefully that won’t happen. Please be patient with me… Note: if I really like your character but we have a full party or your character would severely clash with the rest of the party, I may ask your permission to put your character in as an NPC. Otherwise, we can talk about waiting lists.
      Moreover, your character will probably have some traits that are best kept secret from other players. Thus, do not post your character information in the thread or you will be disqualified.

Posting in this thread is not enough to guarantee a spot.

• What will happen?

Expect to get involved in an incident and attempt to resolve it through any means necessary. You will likely encounter a group of individuals also inclined to resolve said incident, and work together. However, you will need to compete amongst yourselves (for points, mainly) to make sure you walk away looking the best out of all your friends.
      As to what the first incident will be, I have something planned, but I shouldn’t give away too much. You will find out as part of your introduction to the game, if you get in.
      You should expect combat and some skill challenges throughout. You could hypothetically brute force your way through any incident, but there may be more efficient ways to advance your goals…

• How do we play?

Gameplay rules are described in the rulebook. We will be operating with a play-by-post system. I will be making all rolls myself using dice I have on hand. You just need to tell me what you want to do when it’s your round (i.e. what rolls I should be making for you) or turn to act.
      You will be expected to follow the thread so that you keep your character’s orders up-to-date. If you have not posted within 72 hours of one of my updates during a combat situation (which will encompass one complete turn) I will make a decision for your character on my own. Otherwise, for non-combat situations, the time will vary, but never be longer than 72 hours.
      Some information will be shared publically with the thread – anything that any character could notice or hear will be shared in this way. If one character has specific information (e.g. telepathy or somesuch) that information will be shared via private messages to that player. They can then share that information either in the thread or with other players via PMs – basically, I can’t stop metagaming, but I can make sure that the initial information is given in a way that makes sense.

• Are there any gimmicks?

The main gimmick of this game is Fandom Points, or Faith Points, depending on what you prefer. Basically, in Gensokyo – the setting of Touhou – things that no one believes in end up there, and the power of belief and faith is a real power. Thus in this game, accumulating FP means getting more power. You can get FP by acting in character, being a badass, or pandering to the masses.
      Touhou has three main gimmicks that might transfer over here… 1. Most characters are females of various origins and ages. 2. The art is usually really bad. 3. The music is usually really good.
      There is a Touhou trait that has become a gimmick – your character should be readily identifiable from only a headshot. I am not expecting you to draw anything, but if your character has unique hair, hair style, and/or hat, that is good. Otherwise, I reserve the right to 1. Give you an (in?)appropriate hat somewhere along the way or 2. Give you one less life to start with at the beginning of an incident.
      Finally, the last combat gimmick draws from both: Half of combat is looking cool. Thus, giving me an awesome description for your attacks will get you a bonus.

THREAD RULES
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quick character creation guide

FAQS

FIXES AND KLUDGES – You have my permission to break the game with these if they're obviously broken. But also expect me to try and figure out to fix them for the future.

Useful posts
    « Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:45:05 pm by Logical2u »
    This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    Re: Touhou Project Play-by-post RPG: Graze your way to victory! Recruiting!
    « Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 07:13:59 pm »

Dramatis Personae
    Given nothing has happened yet, I'll fill this in with two characters you're likely to meet eventually...

NPCs
    • Reimu Hakurei - The Shrine Maiden of Paradise

Reimu is the current Hakurei Shrine Maiden. Given the Hakurei Border's importance to preserving Gensokyo, and Reimu's own involvement in Gensokyo's many past incidents, there are many who view as either one of the strongest people in Gensokyo, or the most critical person in Gensokyo. Although Reimu has in the past been involved in every single major incident in Gensokyo, given her tendency towards laziness, there must surely be some that slip through her sight.

Her primary job is youkai extermination. However, if you cause trouble in Gensokyo, it's more than likely that Reimu will be the one to deal with you, whether or not you're youaki.

• Aya Shameimaru - The Traditional Reporter of Fantasy

One of the few people in Gensokyo who actually bother to try and catalogue all the crazy stuff that tends to happen. Aya is a crow tengu, and is frequently seen with a camera snapping pictures of incidents, danmaku patterns, and people for use in her Bunbunmaru newspaper. In terms of its content, to us, it falls somewhere between a small newspaper and a tabloid in terms of usefulness. ["This is rather the sort of newspaper that is more suited for a human or youkai that wishes to whittle away a lazy afternoon perusing its pages while sipping a cup of tea."] Nonetheless, it's frequently read across Gensokyo, by both humans and youkai.

Aya will typically try and report on any incident that occurs in Gensokyo, if she can. Although she's not a renowned incident solver, she still tends to get a little wrapped up in them, due to her reporting.
    « Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:31:33 pm by Logical2u »

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 07:14:25 pm »

Reserved for history overview post/anything else that shouldn't go in the other two posts

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 10:11:03 pm »

Hey, for future reference: If you were intimidated by the massive PDF I linked, I do have a quick character creation guide in the first post. You'll still have to dig into the PDF eventually, but maybe not right away.

Well, in the interest of bumping thread with the information that I've opened an OOC thread (even if it is wildly premature), I guess I've reserved another post for future use... Wonder what can fit here? The OOC thread can also serve as "asking general character creation questions" if need be.

Anyways, happy Canadian thanksgiving everyone!