Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Oh copper I hate you, yet you are my greatest friend  (Read 5432 times)

magmablob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Oh copper I hate you, yet you are my greatest friend
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 12:05:08 pm »

you just have to search for flux stone in embark becouse the flux stone is in sedimentary layers, and there is where the iron ores are(magnetite can also be found in igneo extrusive) thats a really easy way to have iron in a fortress and embarking in mountains too becouse they are made of sedimentary layers

topper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 04:28:32 pm »

It does make you wonder what the purpose of Dwarven colonies is though, since you always seem to be importing raw materials (lumber, ore, metal), and selling crafts. 

New challenge?
"Dwarf Colony"
-You may only export unfinished goods and raw materials (ore, rock, sand, wood, rough gems, raw food ingredients, etc.)?
-(optional) No onsite metalworking or gem cutting (all imported armor and weapons)?

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 04:35:39 pm »

I used to dream of Steel like you,

Then I got a magnetite cluster to the face. In a mirthful biome.

But in seriousness, no good metals? ABANDON! EMBARK ELSEWHERE! Easiest way to deal with it. If you keep embarking in a similar climate, save your embark load out. That way, you can embark without having to spend half an hour preparing. Though make sure your dwarfs have the traits you want, as that changes embark to embark.

In other news, my fort has magnetite and malachite. Pretty copper and super iron. Basically, every dwarf's wet dream. Only use I have found for copper is coins though, but hey, PENNIES!

Also, if you find limestone: PROBE IT. My entire fort is in limestone
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 05:00:49 pm »

I have never worked with any steel that wasn't imported, hardly touch iron, and just want some cassiterite. I always have plenty of copper, and prefer to work with bronze anyway, but I've never seen cassiterite. I find platinum and aluminum more often than cassiterite.

Personally I like bronze better. Sure steel is better, but bronze feels right. Besides, its still very effective without being too effective. I just wish I didn't have to trade just to get the tin I need.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 06:36:49 pm »

I have never worked with any steel that wasn't imported, hardly touch iron, and just want some cassiterite. I always have plenty of copper, and prefer to work with bronze anyway, but I've never seen cassiterite. I find platinum and aluminum more often than cassiterite.

Personally I like bronze better. Sure steel is better, but bronze feels right. Besides, its still very effective without being too effective. I just wish I didn't have to trade just to get the tin I need.
There's a reason society abandoned bronze: Much to hard to produce. The de/progression from bronze age to iron age occurred because society couldn't get enough bronze to fuel the need for metal.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 06:42:46 pm »

There's a reason society abandoned bronze: Much to hard to produce. The de/progression from bronze age to iron age occurred because society couldn't get enough bronze to fuel the need for metal.
This. Iron has so many different native ores that occur in so many places that it was used simply because it was everywhere. Even in the Americas, had the Europeans not wiped out most of the native population with their diseases, there was iron to be found. Another 100 years or so and the natives in the Americas could have been working with iron all day long, no problem.

It was only because we discovered the process of manufacturing steel that made iron more desirable as a metal. Once you're into the steel range, then most other metals pale in comparison for usefulness/cost.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 07:31:20 pm »

It does make you wonder what the purpose of Dwarven colonies is though, since you always seem to be importing raw materials (lumber, ore, metal), and selling crafts.  Do the mountainhomes have only the most basic of industries?  I thought the purpose of colonies was to provide raw materials for the homeland.  You won't get very far in DF though selling logs and metal bars.  Maybe the purpose of the dwarven settlements is just to create new places for dwarves to live, and this effort is being heavily subsidized by the MountainHome.  Why else would the traders be willing to give you bars of pure shining steel in exchange for a few tattered pigtail cloaks?  Maybe the Mountainhomes are starting to invent paper, and are scrounging up all of the loose fiber they can get their hands on.
Hm....maybe this is bow the Mountainhomes dump their parasites?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 08:00:38 pm »

It does make you wonder what the purpose of Dwarven colonies is though, since you always seem to be importing raw materials (lumber, ore, metal), and selling crafts.  Do the mountainhomes have only the most basic of industries?  I thought the purpose of colonies was to provide raw materials for the homeland.  You won't get very far in DF though selling logs and metal bars.  Maybe the purpose of the dwarven settlements is just to create new places for dwarves to live, and this effort is being heavily subsidized by the MountainHome.  Why else would the traders be willing to give you bars of pure shining steel in exchange for a few tattered pigtail cloaks?  Maybe the Mountainhomes are starting to invent paper, and are scrounging up all of the loose fiber they can get their hands on.
Who says that Colonies HAVE to help the homelands in terms of physical resources? What about political power? Knowledge? Or just that a bundle of dwarves want a new home?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 09:06:48 pm »

Who says that Colonies HAVE to help the homelands in terms of physical resources? What about political power? Knowledge? Or just that a bundle of dwarves want a new home?
Well, as it is now the only thing one can claim that player fortresses provide in exchange for migrants and caravans is a place to dump migrants.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 09:23:43 pm »

The Mountainhome wants to see the endgame monsters. "It is vital you get to the kooky overpowered monsters at the end of the game. They sound super cool but we don't want to release them here."

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 12:18:57 am »

The Mountainhome wants to see the endgame monsters. "It is vital you get to the kooky overpowered monsters at the end of the game. They sound super cool but we don't want to release them here."

heh. there is a demand for legendary quality forgotten beast and titan roasts, which the mountainhome would prefer to import? :P

(actually, drawing away the amount of nasty critters the average fortress seems to attract is probably a pretty good deal for the mountainhome... they're sending you all those shiny bars of metal so that you can get rich and famous while they get to pretend they're sad about being too poor to attract an endless stream of horrifying monsters)

also consider... how many goblins do you think the average fortress kills or otherwise deals with? just by sending out an expedition and force-feeding it their undesirable cheesemakers and milkers, they can brutally crush entire goblin civilizations in a few short decades, i bet.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 01:53:08 am »

All this discussion of dwarven colonies leads me to wonder, perhaps as the game grows, we will be able to use our forts to develop the civ we are a part of.  This would get more fun if the world is alive after that first embark.

Basically, your first few forts the mountain home could only send a few things, no development of steel yet in the history, for instance.  Once you start shipping things and dwarves back to the mountainhome, all that stuff starts becoming available in that and the next fort you start.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 03:41:44 am »

I havent found casseterite in 25 forts or more. I havent made bronze in perhaps 40 forts or more.

Its just so ridiculusly rare.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 07:32:45 am »

I havent found casseterite in 25 forts or more. I havent made bronze in perhaps 40 forts or more.

This is fairly accurate I think.  Tin is much less common than copper, and the two are rarely found together in reality.  That made bronze a lot more expensive than iron, as has been noted previously.

Whether that's good for gameplay or not is another question entirely.  In this fort I was actually fortunate enough to have tetrahedrite and cassiterite, but I also have hematite and dolomite, so the only use I put the tetrahedrite to is to make copper arrows.  I don't think I've smelted but a few boulders of cassiterite.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 08:52:15 am »

This is fairly accurate I think.  Tin is much less common than copper, and the two are rarely found together in reality.  That made bronze a lot more expensive than iron, as has been noted previously.

Whether that's good for gameplay or not is another question entirely.  In this fort I was actually fortunate enough to have tetrahedrite and cassiterite, but I also have hematite and dolomite, so the only use I put the tetrahedrite to is to make copper arrows.  I don't think I've smelted but a few boulders of cassiterite.

Yeah, I know it was accurate. Im torn between never getting bronze and the fact that some things should rarely happen to keep things interesting. Its the same when Im building a character in dnd, I like flavor and the idea of playing something just for fun, but the powergamer in me shudders!
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...
Pages: 1 [2] 3