Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me survive this fortress  (Read 1266 times)

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help me survive this fortress
« on: October 07, 2012, 04:13:43 pm »

I managed to kill almost all the ambusher, but now my military is wounded and there is a Goblin Spearer that keeps moving in the butcher corridor. He's not wounded, and nobody is going to attack him.
What should I do and what should I build in order to prevent further problems?

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7018
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 03:44:42 am by TheKaspa »
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help me survive the ambush
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 07:15:09 pm »

The reason the squad members won't attack the goblin is because they are either dying or knocked unconscious by a broken bone, I drafted some dwarves into the open spaces in your squads and the goblin was taken care of. I didn't look; but if you don't have one already, build a hospital and you may save a couple of dwarves. It also doesn't help that your civilians were trying to gather loot while the goblin was stabbing your dying soldiers. They kept running away and missing at counterstrikes.

In short:
  • Draft a peasant militia to take care of the last goblin (they don't need to be armored, he has a few injuries already)
  • Build a hospital
  • Use burrows to stop civilians from running into enemies

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 01:59:16 am »

Try drafting your miners. Picks are good weapons.

Though be careful - I have heard of a glitch where picks that were used in the military cannot be dug with again, but I cannot confirm/deny it.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 02:14:50 am »

I think you just have to remove the squad the pick was assigned to to clear that.  Weapons and armor are assigned per slot, not per dwarf.  I suspect it carries its assignment even if the slot is left empty.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 02:38:29 am »

I usually go into orders and have all Death Items set forbidden. I manually unforbid anything that I want my dwarves to stockpile, once the danger has passed.

Make sure there are plenty of idle dwarves to provide food and water while your military dwarves are recuperating. It seems to be a pretty low priority job, so wounded dwarves can dehydrate and die easily.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 03:14:00 am »

I usually go into orders and have all Death Items set forbidden. I manually unforbid anything that I want my dwarves to stockpile, once the danger has passed.

Make sure there are plenty of idle dwarves to provide food and water while your military dwarves are recuperating. It seems to be a pretty low priority job, so wounded dwarves can dehydrate and die easily.

Death Items = items in the Corridor of Death?
Idle = no job, with not even hauling? Or can I set up a few "Food Hauling Squads" (FHS) [nerd pun intended]?

EDIT: 5 pick became weapons, but I'm pretty sure there is a way to revert them into a digging implement.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:59:40 am by TheKaspa »
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 11:47:09 am »

Death Items = items in the Corridor of Death?
Idle = no job, with not even hauling? Or can I set up a few "Food Hauling Squads" (FHS) [nerd pun intended]?

EDIT: 5 pick became weapons, but I'm pretty sure there is a way to revert them into a digging implement.
Indeed, all items owned by your dead dwarves are likely to be collected by other dwarves if you have weapon/armor/clothes stockpiles. Remember you can mass select all the items in corridor with hotkeys: d -> b -> f? (c = reclaim, my guess is f for forbid, anyway, easy to find in that menu anyway)

Idle as in doing nothing at all except having some medical stats enabled, may want to consider setting one or two dwarves with some of the med skills if you have none (i.e add diagnosis profession to a random idler if you have no dwarf with diagnosis)
If you want to select someone who might be better at the job than another dwarf, check the wiki for which attributes are used and select a dwarf with relevant attributes (i.e http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Diagnostician = Analytical Ability,Memory,Intuition)

Removing the miners from the squad or making sure they're not active in the squads menu should be enough to make them go back to normal picks, either that or they work both ways without any input required.

I presume u managed to make it alone and don't need anyone to look at the save?
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 11:51:13 am »

Yes, I managed to kill that damned gobbo.
Now I'v built a door (forbidden) in the Death Corridor, and am going to dig out a catacomb. Just, my picks are still listed as weapons. Luckly I didn't draft a UristMcDigger that wasn't listed as Miner, so I now have a single green miner.
I'll make some copper picks, I guess...

Dwarves are starting dying for the loss of water, but I think I can manage to survive even without them.

http://flic.kr/p/dhUpY2

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:05:59 pm by TheKaspa »
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help me survive this fortress
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 03:47:50 am »

Actually, I didn't kill the speargobbo, he run away and now I got a little siege.
I promptly sealed the fortress, leaving some dwarfs to die in the outside.
Now those goblins are camped outside. I'm training 3 militia squads (this time, avoiding miner drafting), but I had not been able to draft bowdwarves.

Plus, a ghostly fisherman started haunting the Fort.
I'm racing to a slab engrave...
Tai'shar DwarfFortress