Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nature Destroying Constructions & Repair  (Read 2555 times)

EdwardRech

Nature Destroying Constructions & Repair
« on: October 07, 2012, 12:26:38 pm »

As said in the title, nature should be able to damage and ev destroy constructions (like walls, for example)  using moss, vines and such stuff.  There will go the repair function.,  too. If you don't understand what I mean, take a look at Pripyat. It would be awesome if a forrress without dwarves would get timely destroyes, until it collapses.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Nature Destroying Constructions & Repair
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 12:49:43 pm »

This makes sense, and with roots being added Toady might get started on it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 01:23:06 pm »

There could definitely be some added challenges resulting from this...in savage areas, plants should grow not only larger but faster; e.g. savage varieties of kudzu that grow rapidly and can pose a threat to your fort's external constructions, pastures/water supplies etc.  if not kept in check.  Similar types of growths could exist underground as well; they might choke off passages or clog water supplies rendering them unusable.  And this wouldn't even be the *evil* plants, let alone the evil plants in a Terrifying biome.

Even normal tropical biomes would require extensive maintenance to keep nature from wearing away at constructions. 
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 03:20:02 pm »

Well Savage is supposed to sort of represent the difference between a calm forest and a roaring jungle. With the highest rating being one of those fantasy but non-magical jungles.

I don't picture Savage giving you super fast growing trees because that isn't really something I imagine when I think of "Extra dangerous Jungle"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 05:20:32 pm »

Trees would grow fast, both because of the high rainfall and such and because of the big, scary critters.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 01:57:21 pm »

In tropical rainforests, certain plants grow feet a day. That's about the closest RL has to a savage forest. Maybe a tropical forested island.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 04:09:29 am »

Well Savage is supposed to sort of represent the difference between a calm forest and a roaring jungle. With the highest rating being one of those fantasy but non-magical jungles.

I don't picture Savage giving you super fast growing trees because that isn't really something I imagine when I think of "Extra dangerous Jungle"

So a zombie infested field of eyeballs isnt magical to you?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 06:40:54 am »

That would be "evil." Slight difference...
I agree, savage areas should have faster plant growth.
Sig

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 10:00:15 pm »

That would be "evil." Slight difference...
I agree, savage areas should have faster plant growth.
Yup. And more fun

Venus dwarf traps.

Or perhaps throw the elves a bone and make some trees kill dwarves if it's any differant.
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE_CLASS:MODDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 12:16:30 pm »

If trees grow fast enough and strong enough to destroy constructions at an appreciable rate, it should be made feasible to build a fort made of trees by letting the trees replace the stone and (automatically tasking dwarves with) carving away the wood wherever it deviates from the original floorplan.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 02:26:33 pm »

So... as for repairing the stone, what would that take? If you catch it at early disrepair would it just take cleaning? Would the time used be skill-dependent? Perhaps a pathetic cleaner could cause more damage to the construction.

Just imagine though, you see from a nearby point, your glorious tower of Armok, built by the dwarves in the beginnings of their race... and then it falls down. That would really suck.

On a branching note, what happens to unmaintained walls? Do they become XXDiorite BlockXX and enemies can walk/punch right through them?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

pivole

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:gut-rotting brews]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 08:08:00 am »

Also,I doubt as you'd have too much problem in most biomes. Remember, where this happens in real life, it takes many a year to cause critical damage. Maybe you could have an alert that pops up, if an architect, or mason or whatever's relevant, sees the wall, saying 'Urist McStructuralengineer has noticed the poor condition of the wall' or some such.
For glory, Godde and gold in the Virginia Company!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 08:32:36 am »

Sounds good.

Of course, some savage biomes and/or sabotage would make walls deteriorate faster...
Sig

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 12:12:42 am »

Nifty idea. No idea how it'd be implemented. If I remember correctly, moss currently grows on walls in-game, but it takes decades to see any.

It would be good if statues would get divided into parts, be damage-able and be destructible.

It would also be great if statues broke into identifiable pieces. The statue code already draws objects from the raws; a statue could shatter into a mix of differently sized pebbles, shards of glass or chunks of metal, and a few of them might be described as externally visible parts of the creature, scene or object the statue was modeled after. The total mass of all the pieces and rubble would need to match the mass of the statue, of course.

The identifiable fragments of a wrecked statue would then be called rock carvings, or for other materials, maybe sculptures. A masterwork rock carving of Urist McAncientking's head, for example, still has some value as a piece of art (now it's a bust!), and it would be funny to abandon a fortress and bring your adventurer back 100 years later to find the local goblin tower's most prized possession is a *«*golden sculpture*»* of the old duchess's middle finger.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 12:14:21 am by Funburns »

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 10:46:47 am »

Reading about the statues, one idea in particular pops up. A slew of ☼rubble☼, among which a dwarf, a tree and an elf are visible.
The statues contained an elf, the elf is despairing.
The statues contained a dwarf, the dwarf is laughing hysterically.
The statues contained a tree, the tree is felled.
The statue related to the lamenting of the elf TreeLover von Woodland, elven ambassador, in the year 148, when the elven ambassador declared war over tree-cap disregard.

I'd love to see that.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.
Pages: [1] 2