Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: The Pick and the Plump Helmet  (Read 10594 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: The Pick and the Plump Helmet
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2012, 02:54:09 am »

Finished ten tests with 2 dwarves armed with:

1 bronze spear
1 copper breastplate                 
1 copper cap
1 copper shield

with the skills

novice speardwarf
novice dodger
novice shield user
novice armor user

and these two guys were up against a single undead yak bull.

So, I did ten battles, with the dwarves winning 5, and the yak winning 5.  Thus, the results are not very conclusive.  The dwarves only seemed to win when they fractured the leg of the yak, causing it to fall over, and unable to dodge as effectively.  The dwarves then proceeded to curbstomp it,

However, on occasions when the yak was not brought to the ground due to leg injury, or when a dwarf was either incapacitated ( by broken bone ) or killed, the yak would always seem to win.

Thus, while my testing may be flawed and filled with holes, I can with some confidence say that while spears are theoretically viable weapons, if Insanity were to actually use this setups, the results probably will be very bloody.  The dwarves won by numerical superiority and luck, most of the time.

Bronze spears therefore = bad. 

Please, I hope someone else tests this. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2012, 03:20:03 am »

We're dealing with undeads here so hammers are the best weapon against them.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2012, 04:16:13 am »

You could also test maces, I think they have greater contact area. (less chance of glancing away?)
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2012, 06:49:36 am »

Hooray for not dying yet! I'm sure it's not long now.

Science:
did 20 tests of 1 zombie yak bull vs 2 dwarves with:

1 copper mace
1 copper breastplate                 
1 copper cap
1 copper shield

novice macewarf
novice dodger
novice shield user
novice armor user

end score: dwarves 7, yaks 13

Yaks charging seemed to be the major problem. In the 7 dwarf-win cases, both dwarves kept their feet and rained down bruising and glancing attacks until the yaks collapsed.
(note: seemed to get about 3-4 glancing attacks for every 1 bruising attack, but even the glancing ones do damage to the undead proto-hitpoint system. 5 of the final attacks on yaks were "glances away" attacks.)

In general, whenever a dwarf lost its feet it was as good as dead. "Dwarf X is knocked over and tumbles backward!" happened with depressing regularity when yaks charged, and was usually swiftly followed by a hoof to the brain.

Maybe an increase in the dodge skill would help? Max at embark would be "proficient" though, which probably wouldn't do too much 1v1 with an undead yak. Worth a shot.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:51:47 am by smirk »
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2012, 08:57:33 am »

These are yaks, much bigger than any dwarf.  Hammers and maces, while good against humanoids, might not be as effective against creatures of such great size.

At least, that's how I see it.  The only other weapons available are slashy weapons.  Someone ought to test that. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2012, 09:57:32 am »

I want a dorf.
TheKaspa is fine, male please.
Whichever profession is more useless.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2012, 11:30:50 am »

I'm inclined to agree, NRDL, although it's interesting to note that according to the wiki maces are twice the size of warhammers. I'll do a couple more tests if I have time later.

Speaking of useless professions, if we ever make it inside I'm claiming the title of Official Fisherdwarf. 'sgot a good ring to it =D
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2012, 04:01:24 pm »

About arena tests: Add a necromancer to the arena, out of reach but representing the evil biome. It reanimates the corpses faster but arena dwarves don't succumb to hunger, thirst, or drowsiness.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2012, 04:28:56 pm »

That will make the testing far more unfair.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2012, 05:06:10 pm »

Evil isn't fair.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2012, 10:47:05 pm »

This is crazy, keep reDorf'ing me, please.

Can't believe I died, again, stupid plump helmets
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2012, 11:20:07 pm »

Evil isn't fair.

If not for the problem that it's not funny without context I would have sigged this.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2012, 11:22:15 pm »

Evil isn't fair.

If not for the problem that it's not funny without context I would have sigged this.

Sign it. Out-of-context quotes can be all the funnier.

Or, quote:

Evil isn't fair.
Sig

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2012, 11:52:45 pm »

Evil isn't fair.

Sign it. Out-of-context quotes can be all the funnier.

Or, quote:

Evil isn't fair.

Yep. That's perfect

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2012, 03:59:15 am »

Okay, sorry for the wait, but here's Chapter Something, Part Whatsit:

I ordered the three surviving hammerdwarves into the cave. There's no supplies there, but I had no choice but to tell smirk to remove the stairs leading in. We had to keep the zombies out. NAV got caught by a zombie yak and had his leg broken. Sucks to be him, I guess.
[The picture that was going to go here has vanished. It pretty much depicted about five yak corpses, a crippled NAV and a pair of wagons alongside the entrance to the cave.
GreatWyrmSterlingSilver is still nowhere to be found, I think the horse corpse is still chasing him. Luckily he left the pick behind.
smirk starts digging towards the old cave. Hopefully there will be some useful stuff there.

red lines are smirk and InsanityIncarnate. They're both pretty unhappy.
Like a glumprong door! And a still! And a plump helmet! Hooray!
Then GreatWyrmSterlingSilver appears on the surface. Maybe we can get him inside before the corpses reanimate?

Is it worth the risk?

...?

[EDIT]: Sorry for short update, but that's all I had time for today. I'll get some more up soon.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 04:19:12 am by InsanityIncarnate »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7