Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: The Pick and the Plump Helmet  (Read 10591 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
The Pick and the Plump Helmet
« on: October 07, 2012, 02:47:38 am »

I decided to do this after reading the thread located at http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=116711.0.
My challenge is to embark with only Exactly What It Says On The Tin. Well, except that technically my embark is Sinister.

Now, the Confederation of Insanities shall strike the earth at Funguspick!

Eww.

First things first: Dig out some nice, safe housing! What? Why aren't you doing anything!? HURRY UP!
Oh. I forgot to enable the Mining labor. Heh.
Still nothing?
Oh. SHIT.
I forgot my pick and plump helmet. Hammered home in 36-point font.

But maybe we'll scrape through somehow? I'll try, and upload my progress soon.

[EDIT]: Fixed the pics (not picks).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 01:26:59 pm by InsanityIncarnate »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Pick and the Plump Helmet
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 11:02:48 am »

Gather plants and hope for the best...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 12:02:32 pm »

Gather plants, deconstruct the wagon and use it to build a carpenter's workshop and a training axe. Quickly chop some trees and build a shelter against a hillside.
It is not a mountain biome so you should have no problems farming aboveground and staying alive until autumn caravan.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 01:24:23 pm »

My progress was somewhat hindered by those eye-melting wormy tendrils.

I started by (here's a shocker) dismantling the wagon. The wood went to building a workshop and a couple of axes, and soon I had all seven of my dwarves equipped with axes and drafted into the military. (I know from experience that although zombie creatures scare the crap out of dwarves, five or six dwarves mobbing the corpse will bring it down fast.)

The dwarves began lopping down some of the surrounding glumprong trees, until one of the woodcutters ran off, scared by a wee little zombie snake. His friends arrived, and promptly kicked the crap out of it.

The logging continued for a bit longer, uninterrupted, before a herd of undead water buffalo turned up. Yay...
They didn't do much, just hovered around the edge of the map.

Overseer has been possessed!
~~Right, dwarves! See that glumprong sky tower over there?~~
~~No?~~
~~Well, go build it, then!~~

The tower turned out to be the worst idea ever, but I was too far through building it to start elsewhere. The hillside was still covered in undead water buffalo at this point, by the way.
And there were flying lungfish.

Then one of the buffalo ran over to my tower for some reason, and squished the dwarves before I noticed. I lost the screenshot, sorry.

The remaining dwarves were ordered to-

Oh. Right. That's disappointing.

And thus ends the Tale of Funguspick, the fortress founded in terrifying sinister surroundings, with only a pick and a plump helmet, but forgot to pack.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 01:26:44 pm »

Gather plants, deconstruct the wagon and use it to build a carpenter's workshop and a training axe. Quickly chop some trees and build a shelter against a hillside.
It is not a mountain biome so you should have no problems farming aboveground and staying alive until autumn caravan.
A good idea, but I won't admit to advocating exploits.

Can I have a dwarf in the reclaim party? Name him/her GratWyrmCopper and make him/her the miner, please.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 01:29:45 pm »

Can I have a dwarf in the reclaim party? Name him/her GratWyrmCopper and make him/her the miner, please.

Sure. But I assume you meant GreatWyrmCopper?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 02:10:00 pm »

Sure. But I assume you meant GreatWyrmCopper?
Yup, oops.
Sig

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 08:06:27 pm »

Horrified by the news of Funguspick's fall, seven random dwarves decided to journey back to that inhospitable place...

They also stole a wagon that just-so-happened to have some stuff on it:

Having arrived at their destination, a dwarf calling himself GreatWyrmCopper marched up to the wagon:

He grabbed the pick, and plotted out his plan for digging.

The other dwarves meandered around. Several decided to cut down some of the glumprong trees, and another reclaimed the old carpenter's workshop.
One dwarf shouted, and the dwarves, all except GreatWyrmCopper, who was busy digging, ran to see a corpse with interesting injuries:

!!!

A short while later, GreatWyrmCopper climbed out of his excavation and wandered off to the brook for a drink.
Then skeletal water buffalo happened. (It was the same one as last time! Gah!)

Things began to look grim as the surviving dwarves scrabbled for safety amongst the undead, and they hastily took stock of the situation.

Yeah, the water buffalo got a name! I don't know what it translates to, but I'll check up in Legends mode at some point.

*resumes narrative*

As the capybara corpses closed in, brutally murdering several more dwarves, one survivor had to resort to desperate measures...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And thus ends Chapter Two of Funguspick, the most unsuccessful fortress known to dwarvenkind.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 09:02:05 pm »

Can the next attempt's miner  be GreatWyrm[metal the pick is actually made of]?
Sig

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 10:46:30 pm »

Can the next attempt's miner  be GreatWyrm[metal the pick is actually made of]?
It was made of steel.

And can I get Dorf'd, too? This is hilarious.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 11:08:46 pm »

haha this is awesome! I wanna be dorfed.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 12:46:32 am »

Chapter Three will probably be up sometime tomorrow, and I'll make sure you all get dorfed.
And apparently the water buffalo is actually a yak. My mistake.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:49:33 am by InsanityIncarnate »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 05:53:03 pm »

Once again, seven crazed dwarves left the mountainhomes, seeking to settle in a figgin' skeletal-yak-infested sinister swamp with only an iron pick and a plump helmet. Initially, the plan was to survive long enough to build a giant tower outof glumprong wood. Sadly, this wasn't an option as the place became more dangerous after every attempt.
But these seven... they were different...
Well, they weren't, but I'm trying to make a good story.

When they arrived, the dead had decided to stay dead!

Things went downhill pretty quickly when they were ambushed by a corpse of a previous settler:

The dwarves scrabbled to gather everything they had together, and get into the old digsite, which would be relatively safe.
Sadly, GreatWyrmIron, who offered to be the miner, was killed pretty quickly. A couple of unnamed dwarves died soon after, and NAV's foot got some cuts on it, so he passed out:

The dwarves cowered in the cave, hoping that they'd be left alone by the horrors on the surface. Suddenly, one random dwarf ran out of the cave, shouting something about needing the pick to dig. The two dwarves remaining, InsanityIncarnate and mastahcheese, exchanged worried glances. Another random dwarf ran into the cave and began piling logs in the entrance. InsanityIncarnate decided to go outside for some resonbecause his name had Insanity in it:

And mastahcheese quickly finished the wall, leaving him trapped secure inside the cave.

Alone.
With plump helmets.

(I un-forbade the helmet from the previous embark attempt. Is this classed as cheating?)

We didn't hear from Insanity again...

And mastahcheese seemed pretty happy (as a relative term) in his cave, with a still and a farm plot.

And a glumprong door?

That's it for now! Most successful attempt yet!
Personally I'm quite pleased with myself, as mastahcheese can pretty much keep himself alive indefinitely, with minimal micromanagement, but it'll get boring VERY quickly. There's no pick in the cave, sadly, and I'm not sure where it actually is.
Migrants would have to get past a substantial number of undead, but with all the deaths and the minimal production, I doubt they'll turn up at all.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 06:00:28 pm »

Am I dead? It never actually said I died, but I'm guessing I'm a zombie now.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 07:29:17 pm »

Did I get re-dwarfed?
Also, when you're facing zombies, one plump helmet won't help that much.
Sig
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7