Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 81

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - 2016 (DF 0.43.04) yay!  (Read 186017 times)

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress - 2014 (DF 0.40.xx)
« Reply #765 on: July 17, 2014, 12:56:02 pm »

Telekinesis can get covered with water.

Foreign soldiers have redundant names, like "Changeling Drone Changeling Crossbowman" or Zebra Spearzebra".

I'm not sure of the Zebras but I fixed the Changeling redundancy in my version so they would be listed as Changeling Crossbowling or Changeling Swordsling.  Much better in my opinion.

Sounds good.

Hello modder, Now i was wondering why you don't take the raws of a more successful or complete mod like Friendship is Magma or fanon is magic(which has cutiemarks)
see why try to do your own when these mods are just begging for a resurrection.

um

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
  • Mysterious Transmissions
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 17, 2014, 01:13:41 pm »

Hello modder, Now i was wondering why you don't take the raws of a more successful or complete mod like Friendship is Magma or fanon is magic(which has cutiemarks)
see why try to do your own when these mods are just begging for a resurrection.

....I believe that Fanon is Magic is just the very old version of this mod.  It's name got changed to Losing is Magic after a while.
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 17, 2014, 01:28:56 pm »

And now it's apparently My Little Fortress.

In the bug news, some fighting created "A pool of Igest Flowerticks's pony n/a".

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
  • Mysterious Transmissions
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: July 17, 2014, 01:36:06 pm »

And now it's apparently My Little Fortress.

Actually the full title is "My Little Fortress: Losing is Magic"
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 17, 2014, 01:57:16 pm »

it's actually not directly referred to Losing is Magic at the moment...

<_<

>_>

ANYWAY!

The current plan:

Junk crystalworking
Instead focus on the magic loom and gemcrafting with the current gems to make magic infused materials (using DFHACK items can impart syndromes, which means for instance spellbooks or stat boosting armor.
Possibly reduce amount of gems to more commonly known and referred to gems (Emeralds, Rubies, Diamonds, Sapphires etc.) and perhaps instead have rarer variants that can be used for more powerful magic.
Rework/Improve Research.
 It is too grindy atm. I think i prefer the version in Masterwork, where it's quicker to do the actual research but you instead need specific items with a chance to lose progress on more difficult items, could also do "Research" as is often seen in the show, order stacks of books from "canterlot" to do research on to unlock spells or plans.
Differentiate
Make earth ponies stronger/better at hauling and the only ponies that can gain farming skills. Make unicorns weaker, but able to compensate with magic. I.. honestly have no idea what to do with pegasi outside the weatherpony/alchemy stuff.. Military/training/leadership? fits with lore i guess but pigeonholes them a bit (pun not intended)
Magic More magic interactions, for themselves and allies, and also for combat.

Other Thoughts
Baking - Stat boosting food is also possible, Nido had baking in his version but the reactions he had available were pretty limited due to how DF handled interactions back then which made it clunky.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 17, 2014, 02:06:59 pm »

Hetairos, What are the zebras wearing, and who Sieged you earlier? were they using any equipment at all?

Jimexmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 17, 2014, 04:20:51 pm »

so wait. this has dah cutiemark in it
Spess mehreens Spess mehreens we make our Enemies die

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 17, 2014, 04:27:09 pm »

Hetairos, What are the zebras wearing, and who Sieged you earlier? were they using any equipment at all?

First it was changelings with some griffons, but then the game crashed. Then only changelings.

I think the griffons weren't carrying anything, and many showed up as recruits (no weapon skill, I guess). Changelings had weapons, shields and quivers, but nothing more. Maybe it's intended, they have a "carapace" body part. It didn't show up in combat, oddly enough.

Differentiate
Make earth ponies stronger/better at hauling and the only ponies that can gain farming skills. Make unicorns weaker, but able to compensate with magic. I.. honestly have no idea what to do with pegasi outside the weatherpony/alchemy stuff.. Military/training/leadership? fits with lore i guess but pigeonholes them a bit (pun not intended)

I'm not sure about this one. Take Fluttershy - her cutie mark isn't related to anything pegasi are supposed to do, but... It would probably be Animal Training in DF terms, which at the first glance seems more like an earth pony thing. Going by the lore, I'd say cutie marks are more significant than "race", for the lack of a better word. Uh, I'm just saying that so we don't accidentally a caste society and I don't really know where I was going with this any more so feel free to do whatever.

EDIT: Found this in the errorlog:
Code: [Select]
*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_pony_pony.txt"
PONY Color Mod Ending With (LYCOLBG,5) Was Not Used
*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_pony_pony.txt"
*** Error(s) found in the file "data/save/region1/raw/objects/creature_pony_pony.txt"
*** Error(s) found in the file "data/save/region1/raw/objects/creature_pony_pony.txt"
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:29:35 pm by Hetairos »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 17, 2014, 04:43:48 pm »

An idea I've toyed with regarding castes is to make it so that earth ponies gain physical attributes faster (maybe just strength, toughness and endurance).  In the past I've tweaked pony mods to give each caste some attribute variations like that, mostly by just giving earth ponies naturally better physical stats to compensate for the lack of a second grasper (for all that it matters).  Pegasi just got a big agility boost, which was utterly broken in .31.25 and .34.11.  I don't know how it would impact .40.x with its new speed system.

I've also toyed around with just setting some skill learn rate mods on the castes, but not by more than about 30% on any given skill.  That way earth ponies learn farming, shearing, milling and so on faster than unicorns and pegasi, while unicorns learn administrative skills faster.  It's also a bit fiddly to get right and ultimately doesn't have a huge impact on the game.  In any case, I certainly wouldn't prevent other castes from learning skills altogether, or even severely penalize them.

In general I agree that the cutiemark matters more than the caste.  It's probably mostly a matter of culture that causes earth ponies to gravitate toward farming and thus earning farming cutiemarks, for example.  In the past when I've done this, I was always working with pony mods that didn't have a cutiemark system, so such a system probably does enough to completely remove the need for caste level skill modifiers.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 17, 2014, 05:05:26 pm »

That's actually the way this mod is currently set up. Each of the three pony types have something like.. fourty i think castes of each gender with skill gain improvements and other features, tied to specific cutie marks. What I was thinking was making them even more distinct. note that this does not stop me from adding someone like fluttershy, or a bulk bicep pegasus that is slower but stronger, but as a general rule.

For instance, in the season finale it was more or less confirmed that the earth ponies have awesome farming/earth magic, I could remove the skill gain from non-earthponies so that while everyone CAN farm, only earthponies can do so at any sort of efficiency.

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: July 18, 2014, 03:42:27 pm »

Had this turn up in the error log:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A display case building would be a nice addition to the mod. (Give us something to do with the more useless artifacts and it strikes me as very pony.) I am sad you're scrapping crystal working, I always did like it.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 18, 2014, 04:38:19 pm »

yeah, i know of the color bug.

I'm going to redo the hair/coat combos a bit, Nido made a hundred different variations of the striped hairstyles for all the different hues of color in DF, which while very elaborate, is a bit overkill (there are currently over 150 hair color options for ponies)

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 18, 2014, 04:58:12 pm »

Is that why I have at least 3 ponies with rainbow hair in a fort of ~40?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 18, 2014, 06:54:31 pm »

Probably. I ended up flat removing the full rainbow manes from Nido's mod after I played with it for a while.  They were entirely disproportionately common from what I saw, heh.  Something like 15% of ponies had a fully rainbow mane and probably close to half had stripes in their manes.  I saw that in three separate world gens.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 18, 2014, 08:03:26 pm »

it's because of the sheer amount of them, as well as the weighting, i think they're at :3: instead of :1:
I've set my artsier friend Cloudy on the case of some more descriptive mane colors instead.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 81