Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 81

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - 2016 (DF 0.43.04) yay!  (Read 186016 times)

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
  • Mysterious Transmissions
    • View Profile

In one of my previous posts I noted that the Griffin Civs don't grow. I thought it was something to do with low population growth but after some testing and looking at some raws I found the problem.

You had the entity's biom info set up incorrectly.  I just copied over from the normal Dwarf entity and now they can live. (But like both Zebras and Buffalo their site number explodes rapidly)

Also poking around with the Changeling variant I'm working on lead me to learn that Dark Fortresses automatically install a demon as the leading of the civ that starts in them so no queens will spawn normally.  So currently I have them set to use normal caves as a starting area. (Now I'm wondering if there is a way we can create a custom site type the changelings can use)
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile

Unfortunately we can't give them their own sites. The normal caves as a starting site may be the best bet and they'll just conquer whatever they need down the line :P
I noticed the griffins too and they should be spawning correctly, as should the diamond dogs. I'm just finishing up this chimera then posting what I have so far.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile

Download for DF2014 40.x

As there haven't been any raw changes between the bugfix releases this should work on any of the DF2014 versions.
Version control is pretty cool you guys, I've been such a slacker with my files up to this point, the way I do things now should change that.
(bonus is that I'll also be able to provide a RAW only version once I get this thing up and running)

note that due to the animalman removal I now have to include all the creature files from standard DF so the filesize inflated a bit

Code: [Select]
Changelog:

13/07/2014 - migrated to 40.03
------------

Removed Animal Men
added chimera
modified creature_standard to include breezies, sea ponies and fabulously moustached sea serpents among other things.
fix chimera snake head being a head

12/07/2014 - bugfixing on 40.02
------------

Tweaked populations and starting biomes, added more breeders to changelings - tested OK, griffins and changelings actually breed now.

to do/next up:
Changeling Interactions
Leather/Meat
Wood Blocks -> Wood Planks

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress - 2014 (DF 0.40.xx)
« Reply #753 on: July 13, 2014, 06:24:07 pm »

Noticed you didn't use the alterations to some of the creature_standard I did.

Also I got to say that I like my variation of changelings I made for this a little better. (but that's just me)

Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 14, 2014, 11:39:21 am »

Yeah sorry I ended up just going through the creatures one by one. I'm trying to keep the mod at least mostly based in the mlp lore and there is more precedence for keeping a giant humanoid over turning it into a giant miniature horse.

What changes have you done to your changelings? mine are pretty barebones at the moment and is the next ones up for a proper tuneup.

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 14, 2014, 12:00:20 pm »

Well changelings are an interesting race since throughout the fandom there are a lot of different interpretations and version.

I went for a less singular hive feel for the creature and entity (mostly because the hive model with a single queen doesn't really work all that well with civ creatures in Dwarf Fortress yet... at least until we get more advanced creature definitions such as being able to have different reproduction types for creatures)

I changed the creatures to only have 3 casts; Queen (always female, larger and live longer), normal males and females. (Clutch size for egg laying was lowered since they now have plenty of males and females for making babies)  Currently I gave made them not require food or drink to live but I'll most likely change that later.

And entity I mostly kept the same, with some tweaks to ethics, values and a few other things.  Also set the Queen position up as normal but set it to generate the other positions procedurally as needed so I didn't need to define them all.
Dwarf Fortress.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 14, 2014, 03:42:17 pm »

The way mine are set up currently is like this:

Queen (big powerful, mean, FEMALE tag)
Drone (fleequick, doesn't like fighting, MALE tag)
Soldier (likes to fight, will add things like adventure seeking and strives for martial perfection, that sort of thing to make them more likely to fight, no gender tag)
Breeder (Female, Immobile, Twice the size of a pony FEMALE tag)

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 14, 2014, 06:35:08 pm »

The DF hydra more or less matches the show hydra, unless we want to nitpick about the number of heads or something. So that's one creature less to cover, I suppose.

Iron mail barding weighs over 200 kg, looks like the old armour thickness scaling thing is still in.

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 15, 2014, 12:13:04 pm »

Remember when I mentioned that site populations like to explode for some of the races?
Turns out that might be a bug in Dwarf Fortress and not the mod.

Also if you haven't already started working on the centaur race I might take a crack at it.
They seem like the perfect civilization to make use of Dark Fortresses since we actually don't have one yet.

Dwarf Fortress.

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 15, 2014, 02:57:26 pm »

The show seemed to treat its one example of a centaur as a unique entity, considering his brother looks nothing like him.

Sorcerer, are you eventually going to offer a tileset version again? (Like you did with the mod for the previous Dwarf Fortress version.) I don't mind the creatures being letters, but the ASCII for everything else kind of gives me a headache.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 15, 2014, 03:14:17 pm »

yeah, I'll eventually bundle up everything in an "as intended" pack like the previous version was.
At the moment I'm just providing the raws, but there's nothing stopping you from adding at least a default texture pack (there'll be issues with the ones that add creature tiles unfortunately, but it is possible to work around that)

eventually i'm hoping to resurrect the stonesense sprites as well, as they were pretty neat, but we'll have to see what SS looks like in the new version with the multitile trees and such.
There's also the issue of the 1200 castes that need XML code for both kid and adult, and potentially various clothing pieces.
Japa said there shouldn't be any loading issues even with an XML file of several megs in size, but that's going to take a lot of work. 

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 15, 2014, 03:15:18 pm »

The show seemed to treat its one example of a centaur as a unique entity, considering his brother looks nothing like him.

Well we could set the centaur up as a unique demon type creature.

I've already set up a body template for them.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:17:58 pm by Phenoix12 »
Dwarf Fortress.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 16, 2014, 04:37:09 pm »

Just got a siege and some of the enemies have no weapons and/or armour. Possibly a vanilla bug, I don't know. UPDATE: May also affect caravans. A caravan guarded solely by spearzebras has just showed up. They only have a wooden spear and one piece of clothing. Changelings appear not to use armour (WAD?).

Foreign soldiers have redundant names, like "Changeling Drone Changeling Crossbowman" or "Zebra Spearzebra".

Certain new buildings look odd in ASCII, like the Magic Loom or Crystal Forge. Libraries, Archives and Sawmills are fine. Also dandelions are blue.

Making a golden fleece hood in the Magic Loom gets you a shirt.

Oh, and are the apple tree buildings still supposed to be in?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:50:13 pm by Hetairos »

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: July 17, 2014, 12:48:21 pm »

Foreign soldiers have redundant names, like "Changeling Drone Changeling Crossbowman" or Zebra Spearzebra".

I'm not sure of the Zebras but I fixed the Changeling redundancy in my version so they would be listed as Changeling Crossbowling or Changeling Swordsling.  Much better in my opinion.
Dwarf Fortress.

Jimexmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: July 17, 2014, 12:53:56 pm »

Hello modder, Now i was wondering why you don't take the raws of a more successful or complete mod like Friendship is Magma or fanon is magic(which has cutiemarks)
see why try to do your own when these mods are just begging for a resurrection.
Spess mehreens Spess mehreens we make our Enemies die
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 81