Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 81

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - 2016 (DF 0.43.04) yay!  (Read 186101 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Upperbody armor with an UBSTEP of MAX.

Asssasin Asha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just created my first Changeling Queen adventurer(my first and only adventurer in this mod as a whole, the adventure type I am not) and it's funny that she started in a village full of ponies and they were friendly as hay! Though I couldn't find any shopkeepers. Pity.
Looks like next time I should bump the time frame from "very short" up, for it seems there was not enough time for any animosities.
Who am I kidding? I loved that! Though I couldn't buy any food. Oh, well, they were kind enough to not notice me going into one of the empty houses and taking several bags of carrots, strawberries and all that food, with me. A shame we can't fish in the adventure mode...
Though after heroically defeating a coyote and later a wolf that were the enemies of the ponies, after smashing through a rouge wolf pack, how did my poor Chryssie die? Yep, you guessed right, Bogeymen ambush while sleeping out in the wilds... rats...
Oh, well... time for a world regen! :D

Deathseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

noticed a typo in plant_pony_NEW, one of my ponies really enjoys consuming lettuc juice
Code: [Select]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:lettuc juice]
While I was in there I also saw that the turnips still create radish seeds and radish juice, though I think someone else pointed that out earlier.
I have seen the future, it does not include you.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile

Hm was sure I fixed that, it's just a name duplicate, the actually work as separate seeds

Dignity

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

You may want to check your INORGANIC_STONE_GEM.txt file, see if the reaction class is there.. otherwise you may have to change the reaction to accept any gem, or replace the gem raws and regen the world.

Yeah, looks like that was the problem. Thanks, now I can finally use the damn thing. @_@

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I propose "Laurel wreath" as the fifth Alicorn CM. "A shield" would also work. So would a book, scroll or wheat, I guess. You might even go as far as to make a healer Alicorn with a caduceus CM and an interaction to boost recuperation and disease resistance that she can spam and an interaction for a complete heal by a short bodily transformation that she can sometimes use on a wounded pony. FoE mod has quite a good and extensive CM system, so take a look.

I barely have the time now, but since FoE development is on hold, I might try this mod instead, when a new version with fixes comes out.

Sadly, Equestria gaming fails to register my attempts to tell then about DF pony mods other than the old Nikodeng's one.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile

I really wish I had more time to mess around with interactions and reactions and putnams mods. The systems I've put in place support it, and it's already easy to make certain powers available to only a select few classes. It's just a matter of actually having time to sit down and write the interactions.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

Well I have time to break the game test and I already have a fort set up. Testing will begin today.

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
  • Mysterious Transmissions
    • View Profile

Ran into my first changeling snatchers.  Mostly they just got spotted and ran away, except one which ran right into the zebra caravan and got its ass killed.

…Much later…

Griffin Caravan arrives and gets ambushed by changelings. Ambush team consisted of six changeling drones of various weapon types.  The griffin caravan’s only guard kills one changeling is then is took down when the rest swarm him.  From this and some tests I’ve done in arena I can see that drones tend to be squashy by themselves or in small groups (2-3) but god help you if they swarm.

The five remaining drones started heading towards my town so I hastily made a squad of military (Didn’t plan ahead on this one) with one wrestler and six war dogs and they proceeded to be murder by the drone swarm.  Then the swarm decided to split up, some started chacing some ponies around the country side while two others went into the unprotected town and got killed by one unarmed pony defending itself (Which again reflects my “drones are bad at combat unless in large groups” reasoning)

On the note of drones vs. soldiers (which I’ve seen none) I believe there is a way to specify that specific classes of a race can be a certain job.  Example) Only Soldier changelings can become spearlings/axlings/swordlings. And only drones can be labor type jobs.  I’m not sure by I think I read about it somewhere, though I may be mistaken. Unless you don't want to fix this that is...
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile

Good to hear the changelings aren't useless. Are they wearing armor and such? They are as you say individually weaker than ponies but if they work well in groups that is awesome. I'll also see about maybe adding some more soldiers to attacks as well, should be possible with the position system as you mentioned.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pitting an ambush of Changelings against a few noobs with no equipment is no indication of their combat strength. The difference between a veteran with legendary skills and exceptional equipment, including several shields, and a recruit wearing clothes and no weapons is colossal. In FoE I've had a few ponies crumb-stomp whole squads of enemies who could tear through my earlier defences almost effortlessly.
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It mostly comes from my observation.
I tested in Arena Mode and a single unarmored changeling drone with no weapon vs. one pony, with no armor and no weapon, will most likely be killed in single combat.  (I should do more tests with soldiers and queens to make a comparison)
And in fortress mode the ambushing group of changelings (with weapons but no armor) ganged up and killed an unarmed/armored earth pony and six war dogs.  And when two wandered into town they were killed by unarmed civilians in single combat.  So I’m theorizing that drones are only effective in combat when they gang up on a single target or a group smaller than them.  It requires testing to fully see if it’s true.
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, In FoE I've run into a "power curve". Ambushes that can butcher a small caravan and seriously threaten a militia of 5 with skills around 5, don't even make for a good live combat training later on. Whole squads of enemies who can quickly kill any caravan, can be killed with 2 expert military. The problem is staying on top of this power curve and having enough well-trained and equipped soldiers to stand up to the threats that show up. I screwed this up several times and needed a few years of lock-down to train new soldiers. This is why I think you need to throw about 10 soldiers with skills of 10+ and good steel equipment against sieges of Changelings and do it several times to draw conclusions as to how good they really are at fighting. But then, I'm not that good at DF military.

I want to share an anecdote about CMs. In FoE I got a pony wit a dagger CM, so I drafted him. He got full security armour, a dagger and 4 shields (Unicorns in FoE have 5 graspers and a dagger only takes up one). Steel Ranger ambush arrived, so I ordered everypony inside and went on a lockdown. The daggerpony stayed outside, so I thought I lost him. But then, amazingly, he stood up to their leader, while the rest of the Rangers butchered a caravan. None of the duelists was able to overpower the other's shield wall and my pony got to legendary shield used and knife user, until the rest of the Rangers came back after they were done with the caravan and helped their boss. I was even tempted to open the gates and throw the rest of my military at them, to see what will happen.
This is an anecdote about CMs, because the daggerpony had about 250% learning rate for knife user, which is why he was able to rise to Legendary so fast (and with very little attribute gains, according to DT 20.0). His shields were so good, because they were of decent quality and they stack, that is if the attacker bypasses one shield, he still has to bypass the other three to hit the target.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile

This is mostly an issue with df's skill system and live combat in general, it's why danger rooms are so efficient. Very few of the current cm classes have very high combat skill proficiency for this reason, and mostly focuses on secondary skills.

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Arena Changeling Combat Tests
No Skills / No Equipment / Ten Combats

Drone Vs. Earth Pony
Drone--0/10 Victory (0%)
Earth--10/10 Victory (100%)

Drone Vs. Unicorn
   Drone--1/10 Victory (10%) (NOTE: May have been a lucky shot)
Unicorn--9/10 Victory (90%) (NOTE: Took longer to kill a changeling then earth ponies)

Drone Vs. Pagasus
  Drone--0/10 Victory (0%)
Pagasus--10/10 Victory (100%) (NOTE: Took longer to kill a changeling then earth ponies)

Drone Vs. Alicorn
  Drone--1/10 Victory (10%)
Alicorn--9/10 Victory (90%)

Soldier Vs. Earth Pony
Drone--8/10 Victory (80%)
Earth--2/10 Victory (20%)

Soldier Vs. Unicorn
Soldier--3/10 Victory (30%)
Unicorn--7/10 Victory (70%) (NOTE: Didn't see this comeing)

Soldier Vs. Pagasus
Soldier--7/10 Victory (70%)
Pagasus--3/10 Victory (30%)

Soldier Vs. Alicorn
Soldier--0/10 Victory (0%)
Alicorn--10/10 Victory (100%)

Queen Vs. Earth
Queen--10/10 Victory (100%)
  Earth--0/10 Victory (0%)

Queen Vs. Unicorn
  Queen--6/10 Victory (60%)
Unicorn--4/10 Victory (40%)

Queen Vs. Pagasus
   Queen--10/10 Victory (100%)
Pagasus--0/10 Victory (0%)

Queen Vs. Alicorn
 Queen--5/10 Victory (50%)
Alicorn--5/10 Victory (50%)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 09:45:05 pm by Phenoix12 »
Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 81