Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 81

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - 2016 (DF 0.43.04) yay!  (Read 185944 times)

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress: Losing is !!MAGIC!! (Formerly known as Fanon is Magic)
« Reply #300 on: December 30, 2012, 08:35:23 pm »

Also, I'm leery of the pony that arrived last spring and immediately replaced our original mayor (shame on me I can't remember who the original was). Lots of skills, long list of former groups. Lists a wife and child who are not in the fort. I think I have a vampire on my hands. Nopony's been found drained of blood yet. Dunno what to do with him yet. Arrange an accident? Lock him in his room? (Normally I am very good to my ponies, but a vampire is dangerous.)

I keep mine locked in a room. He has been admiring the door for several months now. He's content, that's the only thing in his thoughts screen. I've been thinking about a vampire fortress, since pony vampires don't suffer from the alcohol dependency bug, but 1) I don't really know how to pull this off and 2) a large part of the fun in this mod is related to crops, food and drinks, and vampires don't use any of those.

I presume the cloudsculpting workshop bug is already fixed as well. Instead of the proper blueprint I could use a tome, a page, or even a large stone pot.

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 31, 2012, 06:12:20 pm »

Well, my fort continues to chug along. (And I do mean chug. My FPS is down to like 15.) The zebra caravan has just come and gone... sold them a bunch of worn out clothes and cloud figurines. (Are zebras supposed to be okay with leather stuff? I went snooping in the raws and it said they aren't bothered by animal killing.) I also offloaded a bunch of extra chickens and ducks on them. From them, I took some drinks and raw food, some of their cut gems and raw glass, plus anything they had iron or steel for melting. (I wanted to be rid of all those worn clothes, especially the worn fleece stuff which you warned I couldn't pass off to the ponies.)
I have a bunch of copper that at this point I'm forging into horseshoes for the common ponies. I also have a ton of lead and silver I'm trying to figure out what to do with.
I have a cage full of kittens that's earmarked for the pony caravan. I may have to fill another cage before the it arrives. I just... can't slaughter the cats or dogs. I can slaughter anything else, just not them. In fact, I ordered some of the reindeer bulls slaughtered. (I'm mostly doing it for population control... I don't let the ponies eat the meat. I do use the bones and keep some for moods.) I've also built up a nice little herd of sheep, have a few llamas and alpacas.

Also, couple of small bugs I remembered encountering... turnips don't drop usable seeds. I remember bringing some turnip seeds on embark and planting them. They grew, and were eaten. (I think that's what those unidentified "seeds" I complained about earlier are supposed to be. Yes, I had the turnips forbidden from cooking.) Also, I've got carrot seeds and can't plant them. (Are they forbidden in tropical areas?) I also have cocoa beans growing, but no way to make more than regular chocolate since I don't have any sugar available. (Yeah, civ has cocoa beans but no sugar cane.) I need to make some hot cocoa and clear out some of those bags.

And thanks to some additional births, I now have a population of 247 ponies. 146 adults, 69 foals (more babies have grown up since I last bothered to report), and 32 babies. (Breakdown by caste- 91 Earth ponies, 81 Pegasus ponies, and 75 Unicorn ponies.)

I'm doing so well on the food (both raw and prepared) and brewed drinks I have enough to last for months. (I've actually begun cooking some of the plants that I have a ridiculous excess of.) I have more junk I plan to offload on the pony caravan, just hoping they bring me some interesting stuff.

You know, I don't think I've ever posted the name of my current fort (Glimmeringassemblies), the group (Starry Butterflies), or the civ (The Diamond Sister). I'm surprised I've not gotten bothered by anything more than the one werebeast and several attempted Diamond Dog thefts. (Did the zebras wipe out the local griffins or something? I know I've gotten some artwork relating to them fighting each other.) Now that I've posted that, watch me get sieged and all my ponies die.

Raptor_a22

• Bay Watcher
  • [DERP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 01, 2013, 08:03:21 pm »

FYI, Turnip Seeds appear as 'Radish Seeds'
Raptor's CivMod, Mithril and Dark Elves and Alchemy, oh my!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where severe necrosis leading to exploding limbs is "awesome."

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 02, 2013, 12:46:43 am »

Well, the last few months have been fairly quiet. My baroness got promoted to countess after the pony caravan left. (Nothing really interesting went on with them, aside from unloading more worn clothes and miscellaneous crafts.) Oh, the werewarthog returned (I'm pretty certain it's the same one) and hung around just long enough to freak me out. Stationed the military at the trapped gate and set the alarm to pull the civilians in. Just as I got that done, it turned back into a buffalo. Nopony was killed this time. Funny thing is, it showed up right as I was expanding the walls again. (I'm claiming more surface territory, so I have more pasture space.) I have dug down to the first cavern level, but it's currently sealed off. Debating whether to send an expedition down there so I can collect some webs for silk. Oh, and I had my first strange mood in quite awhile... resulting in an acacia earring. (Of course it was a possession... so I didn't even get a legendary woodcrafter out of it.) I managed to process cocoa into chocolate and am currently making hot cocoa out of it.

My suspected vamp still hasn't killed anybody. Countess is kind of irritated with the tomb I made for my founders. Which I technically built some time ago, just never bothered to mention. I actually built the founders' tomb because I got three nice statues depicting the expedition leader and I just couldn't resist. Tomb was actually first just for said expedition leader and then I expanded to add coffins for the other founders. Actually, I've got several nice rooms of coffins ready for the inevitable deaths. (Very few of them are filled. Mostly failed moods, one soldier dead because of a berserk pony, and a couple of accidental deaths.) But, countess is otherwise happy because her mandates are easy. She wants me to make buckets and not export them.

Population is unchanged, though I had one migrant foal become an adult and several more babies have become foals.

I am looking forward to the new version... I want to experiment more with some of the currently broken options.

UPDATE: Mayor was indeed a vampire... had a foal found dead, drained of blood. He's now been locked in his room. I drafted him into a squad, stationed him in his room, and locked the door. Gonna have to build a new mayor's quarters. Wish I could get back the sword he claimed. Especially a shame he's a vamp considering he's got decent sword skill. Will probably remove him from squad now, and screen for some other swordsponies and get a squad for them going. Lost two more foals (especially sad when I looked and realized they were siblings) when a weaponsmith failed a mood and went berserk. May be reviewing the skills of the ponies in the fort for bolstering our axe and spear squads... may even look to see if I have some more marksponies. (I have one squad set up with crossbows and another squad with bows.)

My population now stands at 243 ponies because of the tragic losses. 147 adults, and 96 foals. All the babies have grown up into foals. Caste Breakdown- 90 Earth ponies, 80 Pegasus ponies, and 73 Unicorn ponies.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 08:20:44 pm by taliakirana »

Dignity

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 06, 2013, 05:27:49 pm »

I have a Mac, so I can't use the bundled .exe.  :'(

Is there any way you can maybe release this in an alternate format, like a set of files to install manually or something?

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 06, 2013, 05:31:50 pm »

The problem with a mac version is that i have no way to check if everything is working, I do however have it on good authority that deleting and then replacing the raw folder from a mac install should work. I recommend phoebus if that is available for mac as some of the tiles have been changed in the raws to properly display with poebus.

I've had some time to do some more bugfixes and somehow decided to add gourds. Should be able to fix that up this coming week, and actually get that major bugfix version out. Perhaps with rudimentary changelings? who knows!

Dignity

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 06, 2013, 07:35:59 pm »

The problem with a mac version is that i have no way to check if everything is working, I do however have it on good authority that deleting and then replacing the raw folder from a mac install should work. I recommend phoebus if that is available for mac as some of the tiles have been changed in the raws to properly display with poebus.

I've had some time to do some more bugfixes and somehow decided to add gourds. Should be able to fix that up this coming week, and actually get that major bugfix version out. Perhaps with rudimentary changelings? who knows!

Alright, I'll try it out once I've had enough "fun" with my current fort.

I don't like Phoebus, by the way. Will it cause any problems if I just stick with Ironhand?

Edit: Oh god, accidentally blank-posted. Pretend that never happened, okay?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:38:28 pm by Dignity »

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 08, 2013, 09:39:22 pm »

Also, I've got carrot seeds and can't plant them. (Are they forbidden in tropical areas?)

Sort of: they are labelled [BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE] in the raws, which probably means they can only grow in temperate areas. Same for turnips. I'm not sure about warm ones. Other plants are either [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING] or [BIOME:ANY_TROPICAL] (sunflowers, sugar cane, cotton and jute), with the exception of potatoes, which can apparently grow anywhere.

I guess including this info in the readme would be a good idea, especially that there is already a section dedicated to crop attributes and such.

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 10, 2013, 01:23:27 am »

Well, mayor went nuts from his confinement. Lucky me, he went berserk so I could have my military deal with him. (I use a double room setup for nobles... he was in the bedroom section, so I locked that door, unlocked the main door, station military inside, relock main door, unlock bedroom, and order them to kill the vampire.) Sadly I lost one of my spear ponies in the fight. Lost my third best engraver to a failed mood... and of course he went berserk. I believe he was actually killed by a pair of peasants. Four new foals were born. We were upgraded to a duchy after the pony diplomat left. (And I unloaded enough junk as an offering that I should be getting the princess to come soon. That's going to serve as the end point for this fort. Afterwards, I'll likely abandon on a copy save to poke around legends mode.)
I'm beginning to think my civ or the zebras annihilated the local griffons. I did get a statue that hinted The Diamond Sister kicked their butts enough they sued for peace at some point. The fort's currently been standing for six years, which isn't bad for being still so new.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 10, 2013, 06:56:50 pm »

Hello, seems my promises have gone unfilled yet again, ugh.. I've been roped into doing some contract work that is sucking up all my free time lately, the patch is coming tho, albeit slowly.

Should note that griffins are not babysnatchers, and as such you actually need to be in actual war with them to get them to attack. They're fairly probable to do so, with their ethics including killing and eating animals and using animal products, something the pony civ finds unthinkable. But as the zebra and ponies usually far outnumber the griffins, and they have conflicting beliefs, this does usually end up with the griffs taking a pounding from multiple sides.
Hopefully adding changelings should split the focus a bit and allow the griffins to gather some strength.

I'll look into getting that readme updated to reflect the plant biomes, it's a fairly new addition, and some of them are a bit off (like the carrots not being plantable in tropics)

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 10, 2013, 10:18:23 pm »

Well, I have had one last thing that's been a problem. Crystal working bugged out on me. I researched it all and successfully built one forge and workshop. Everything showed up fine. But then I researched more so I could throw up more workshops... now the crystal workshops only give me the option for blocks and statues. (I tried destroying all the buildings and blueprints and starting over, and still no luck at getting the crystal workshop to offer more than blocks and statues. However, everything shows up in the forge.)

EDIT: Never mind, just needed to update my civilian alert burrow to include the additional dug out area on my forge level. Needed updating anyway to account for all the additional space I've claimed on the surface and dug out. Feeling kinda dumb at the moment. It's working now.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:27:18 pm by taliakirana »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 15, 2013, 12:50:36 am »

So, I'm trying to combine bits of this mod with Nidokoenig's old mod because I'm more used to it (minus the research and exotic workshops), but I like a lot of the new features of this mod.  :)  I've had a few snags, and I know it's not really your job to tell me how to fix this integration, but looking at the raws I think they may affect the main mod too.

First off, since ponies can't use leather (other than the wool substitutes you added, from the looks of it), it looks like you added a reaction to allow creation of cloth quivers and backpacks.  It looks like these reactions aren't added to the pony entity though, so they can't actually make cloth quivers?  Has anyone seen problems with that, and would adding the reaction to the entity be all that I need to do to fix it?

Secondly, for some reason it looks like I can't mill potatoes.  That's the only way to get seeds back from them, right?  The raws look fine for the milling tags, but it's not working for some reason.  Has anyone seen problems with this in the proper mod?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 15, 2013, 03:47:37 am »

Thanks for the heads up Telgin, it does seem like I've missed adding that reaction (tho with the fleece you can now make it out of "leather" aswell)
I don't know what's up with the potatoes tho, you shouldn't have to mill them to get more seeds, if that is the case then It's probably best to leave out the milling as a plant feature and add it back through a reaction.

Looks like this new project is keeping me pretty damn busy these days. I am inclined to just release the stuff I've done so that interested parties don't have to wait so damn long. The release is mostly just massive bugfixes and a few rewrites here and there, no massive new features (tho i have laid down the groundwork for gourd processing)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 15, 2013, 08:28:21 am »

Thanks for the heads up Telgin, it does seem like I've missed adding that reaction (tho with the fleece you can now make it out of "leather" aswell)
I don't know what's up with the potatoes tho, you shouldn't have to mill them to get more seeds, if that is the case then It's probably best to leave out the milling as a plant feature and add it back through a reaction.

Good to know I'm not crazy about the reaction thing, heh.  However, I'm still a bit confused on the potatoes.  They're not edible raw, so you can't get seeds back that way, nor can they be brewed to get seeds back that way.  So, I don't see how else to get seeds back from them, since cooking destroys the seeds, if I recall correctly.  Well, in any case I'll probably try to debug this myself.  If I fix the milling I'll let you know what's up with it.

And don't worry about the long release schedule.  I'm definitely interested in updates to the mod, but I can understand busy.  :)

Edit: I compared it to the cave wheat entry, and looks like this line is missing:

[MILL:LOCAL_PlANT_MAT:MILL]

I don't have time to test that this morning before work, but I suspect that's the problem.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 08:33:05 am by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 15, 2013, 06:57:01 pm »

I finally got the monarch to arrive at Glimmeringassemblies... Is she supposed to be totally lacking a description? Aside from "Her mane is curly", there's nothing. No mane color, no coat color, no eye color.
Telgin, thanks for mentioning the missing cloth quiver reaction.... that's why the reaction to make cloud cloth wasn't showing up. It wasn't added to the entity file. Your suggestions let me fix that as well as the missing cloth reactions. And the reaction for making golden silk was missing as well. I'm also going to try out your fix for the potatoes. I wondered why the potatoes I bought from the zebra were doing nothing. We need a reaction to take the raw potatoes and pop out potato spawn and something like "peeled potato" for cooking with. (I also may have edited the biome tag for carrots... to make them for any non-freezing rather than any temperate. I still wonder what's up with those unidentified "seeds" I keep getting.) Also, the manual in the first post mentioned lettuce should be processable into sugar. Is that a mistake, or did you intend to do that at some point?

(I also wish I knew how to fix the fleece bug. I'd like to make some more, but I don't want an explosion of thousands of fleece again.)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:40:00 pm by taliakirana »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 81